Forum Member

Default Will the economy be a factor for employment?

now, I understand posting a thread about this topic is enough to start a 20 page flaming arguement. So please refrain from doing so (oh geese its inevitable)

I currently have minimal info regarding the employment rates, bailout plan, and so on. I haven't recieved a straight answer, they all seem like contradicting answers based on feelings or suspisions. Currently there is a large hiring spree that has been going on around here, I just so happen to be at the end of it. In about 2 years, when I will start testing for fulltime career departments within the west coast area (possibly further) will the economic state be soo bad that for any reason departments wont be able to hire anymore? Leave all personal based answers out because this applies for everyone applying in the near future. I am currently searching more info on the internet but I knew you guys would be able to help.

IF YOU DONT WANT TO CONTRIBUTE SIMPLY DONT CLICK REPLY
    Last edited by bharer75; 02-24-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Forum Member

I'm not to sure how the economy will turn out in the next few years. The stimulus plan is kind of a risk take. It will either help, or perhaps hinder economic growth even further. Even the most educated economists are still debating whats going to happen. One thing for sure though is that what ever happens the economy will NOT be fixed within two years. And yes, its a lot harder to get on departments these days than before. Almost every major department has thousands upon thousands of applicants apply for 15-20 spots on average. Everyone wants and needs a job. What other job can you get that pays a decent starting salary, full benefits, a pension plan and as well as a work schedule that averages you out to working 10-11 days a month with only having to have a high school diploma or GED... That right there is the problem these days. People need jobs so they just apply for the hell of it because there are NO jobs like this out there that you can only have a GED. Layoffs are happening in many departments. Staffing is being cut down, etc etc. Departments wont totally just shut down hiring all together, however, many are not doing their typical hire every 2 years type deal. Now its being bumped up to 4, 5 and so on.

MembersZone Subscriber

A bad economy will always make it tough for those trying to get hired. This economy will take quite a while to get out of its current crisis. However, cities will always need first responders. Can't just let it all burn down.

One of the benefits for those who are looking to get hired over the next five or so years will be the very large percentage of baby-boomers who will be retiring soon. Departments will have no choice but to promote others into those positions and hire more recruits to fill the lower positions.
    Last edited by HereToLearn; 02-24-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Forum Member

I can reply with one word.....YES!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Why are you waiting 2 years to start testing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    ...(oh geese its inevitable)....
    Geese? What do they have to do with it?

I currently have minimal info regarding the employment rates, bailout plan, and so on.
    Who doesn't?

Currently there is a large hiring spree that has been going on around here, I just so happen to be at the end of it.
    First; where is "here"? A lot of departments have already frozen their current hirings due to the current economy.

In about 2 years, when I will start testing for fulltime career departments within the west coast area (possibly further)...
    Again; why are you waiting two years? Test now while you can.

The reason why you aren't getting a straight answer, is that NOBODY knows what is going to happen.

Good luck,
    bam

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Geese? What do they have to do with it?

Who doesn't?

First; where is "here"? A lot of departments have already frozen their current hirings due to the current economy.

Again; why are you waiting two years? Test now while you can.

The reason why you aren't getting a straight answer, is that NOBODY knows what is going to happen.

Good luck,
    bam
    Southern california/west coast.. trust me, if I had the eligibility I would start testing everywhere. Currently I am 16 and an officer of an explorer post. so 2 more years

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that makes sense.
    Hang in there. Get what you can for now. Stay out of trouble and don't screw up your credit.

Hang tough.

Forum Member

I know I've seen the effects of the economy hit us pretty hard here in the Bay Area and it has had a trickle-down effect.

For example, San Jose FD held a huge exam and interviews in May 2008 planning to hire upwards of four to five academies off of that list alone with a fairly even split between EMT's and Medics. I believe they ended-up only taking one academy through from that list due to budget constraints as the housing collapse has led to a huge decrease in property tax revenue that had been contributing to the city's growth for a number of years (any SJFD members here please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Now for the trickle-down effect... many of the EMT's and Medics that were supposed to be hired (i.e. passed orals, backgrounds, agility, etc) for San Jose didn't end-up doing so and as result have stayed at their current jobs at AMR, etc which has resulted in overstaffing and put AMR on a hiring freeze for the foreseeable future as AMR had hired replacements in anticipation of the others' departure.

As has been stated already, regardless of the economy, many senior (in terms of rank, not age ) firefighters are going to continue to retire over the next few years and their replacements will have to be replaced, unless of course cities start following Alameda City and brown-out stations to avoid paying for additional staffing (but personally, I don't think that the public will stand for that when they see the impact this policy has on the community).

Now I don't share this with you to discourage you by any means, but this is the reality of getting hired at this time right now. My recommendation to you would be at your age, start getting as many certs as you can (I think you only have to be 18 to get your EMT), get some experience as an EMT (even doing BLS transport), continue in your explorer/reserve program, and when you are ready for it, get your butt into paramedic school if you want to work in California.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBhoy View Post
    I know I've seen the effects of the economy hit us pretty hard here in the Bay Area and it has had a trickle-down effect.

For example, San Jose FD held a huge exam and interviews in May 2008 planning to hire upwards of four to five academies off of that list alone with a fairly even split between EMT's and Medics. I believe they ended-up only taking one academy through from that list due to budget constraints as the housing collapse has led to a huge decrease in property tax revenue that had been contributing to the city's growth for a number of years (any SJFD members here please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Now for the trickle-down effect... many of the EMT's and Medics that were supposed to be hired (i.e. passed orals, backgrounds, agility, etc) for San Jose didn't end-up doing so and as result have stayed at their current jobs at AMR, etc which has resulted in overstaffing and put AMR on a hiring freeze for the foreseeable future as AMR had hired replacements in anticipation of the others' departure.

As has been stated already, regardless of the economy, many senior (in terms of rank, not age ) firefighters are going to continue to retire over the next few years and their replacements will have to be replaced, unless of course cities start following Alameda City and brown-out stations to avoid paying for additional staffing (but personally, I don't think that the public will stand for that when they see the impact this policy has on the community).

Now I don't share this with you to discourage you by any means, but this is the reality of getting hired at this time right now. My recommendation to you would be at your age, start getting as many certs as you can (I think you only have to be 18 to get your EMT), get some experience as an EMT (even doing BLS transport), continue in your explorer/reserve program, and when you are ready for it, get your butt into paramedic school if you want to work in California.

Good luck!

thanks a lot for the help.. Im currently contemplating on taking my emt classes soon. (this summer) and not taking the EMT national. then taking a recert when im around 17 1/2.

the more and more ems calls I go on they are kinda heading towards.. well im realizing ems doesnt float my boat. so hopefully this changes and I proceed to paramedic.

Forum Member

thanks a lot for the help.. Im currently contemplating on taking my emt classes soon. (this summer) and not taking the EMT national. then taking a recert when im around 17 1/2.

the more and more ems calls I go on they are kinda heading towards.. well im realizing ems doesnt float my boat. so hopefully this changes and I proceed to paramedic.
    No problem and you're welcome.

Just an FYI - your EMT program if taken in California will be National Registry curriculum and typically is the cert required to become licensed as an EMT in California (i.e. you will take the National Registry exam, get your NR card then use that to apply for an EMT license with the county you want to work in).

I don't want to start a battle over percentage of medicals versus fires, but even in the county I work in, which is one of the busiest in the country, still deals with a majority of medicals (around 75 - 80%). Though EMS isn't your primary interest, getting your EMT and Medic can help you IMMENSELY if you want to work in California. The Medic isn't the be-all, end-all but by having it you can shrink the size of your competitive pool by hundreds, if not thousands. My first test applying as a medic had 1600 EMT's and 200 medics. I certainly like my odds better against 200 rather than 1600.

Also, there are a TON of other certs to get besides medical: Hazmat Tech, ICS, Instructor 1A/1B, CA Class B Firefighter DL (so you can drive an engine), CDF Red Card/67-hour, etc. etc. (just look at the course catalog for any JC that offers an FS/FT program). Use this time to start racking those certs up so you can hit the ground running when things turn around.

And don't forget to start working on those interview skills either - that's what ultimately gets you hired, not the amount of certs you have.

Forum Member

is a left handed spanner the same as a right handed spanner?

Forum Member

Brandon whatever you do... Dont take EMT through Capo's ROP. Try and get in to Saddleback's class.

And take your FT classes online if you want to, that way when you graduate you already have some units under your belt.

Thread Information