Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Are you kidding me??

If you gotta sue cause your pension has run out or you spent it all your cash at the boats, sue the city for not supplying hearing protection. This is just as bad as somene suing gun makers because their weapon killed someone. This is absolutely rediculous. I guess we will all be driving non emergent to calls now. WTF. ...........AAAHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh.....Its the pussification of the fire service. ............Plug your ears you NIMRODS.....F!

Siren Company Loses One in Hearing Loss Suits
    Posted: 02-23-2009
    Updated: 02-24-2009 02:37:24 PM
    E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

JAMES P. MILLER
    Chicago Tribune

Federal Signal Corp. said a court found against it in a civil suit filed by nine firefighters who claimed they suffered hearing loss from exposure to loud fire-truck sirens made by the Oak Brook maker of specialized vehicles and equipment used by local governments and emergency services providers.

Federal Signal faces a number of such hearing-loss lawsuits brought on behalf of firefighters, with the bulk of them filed in Cook County.

To date, the company has enjoyed substantial success when the cases have gone to court. In April, for example, a Cook County jury deliberated for less than two hours before finding in Federal Signal's favor on a hearing-loss case brought by 27 firefighters. And hearing-loss cases in three other states were voluntarily dismissed last year.

On Monday, the company said it will appeal the jury's decision. Federal Signal didn't disclose terms of any award the jury recommended. It did say in intends to "fight aggressively to overturn this verdict."

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Forum Member

I'm glad that somebody else thought that was stupid too. I read the article and told the LT that it was the end of code 3 driving. Does it hurt when you touch that stove? STOP TOUCHING THE STOVE, don't sue the stove maker. Keep safe, and cover your ears if you don't like my sirens.

Forum Member

How are you even gonna put your name on this law suit? "Hi I am such a dope, that i didn't put on my hearing protection, now i am deaf." I am SURE these guys never listened to music to loud, never went to a rock concert, a ballgame, or an airport. Ya it's Federal's fault they made the EMERGENCY WARNING DEVICE to loud. Are you kidding me? Whats next we sue Bullard cause the helmet caused me neck pain, so i had to take it off then i got a ouchie on my head. Now only 50 million dollars will make me feel better. If the sirens are too loud, then your to soft for firefighting. Period

Forum Member

I don't get how the can be found liable either. Its not like FS tried to tell people their sirens weren't loud and nothing bad would happen from exposure. They say to use hearing protection and they also tell you to mount it as far forward as possible.

Also if you keep your windows closed it cuts down on the sound a lot, something I also think FS suggests.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to know how many of these guys were in when the sirens were mounted on the roof riding open cabs and how many have less than 15 years riding in enclosed cabs with sirens and horns in the bumper
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainS View Post
    I would like to know how many of these guys were in when the sirens were mounted on the roof riding open cabs and how many have less than 15 years riding in enclosed cabs with sirens and horns in the bumper
    One of our engines is an open cab with the siren placed ontop of the pump panel pointed straight at my head....

Plain and simple...earplugs....
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Forum Member

there is a video on the front page now and the man they interviewed looked to have been old enough to have been riding on the outside of the cabs early in his career. The hearing loss could have been contributed to that, it could also be from getting old.
    I will say this, its easy to pass judgment on someone when you have not been in the same situation. what would you do if 10 years down the road you could not hear anything? would you just sit around and say well its my fault or would you look for a reason?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    there is a video on the front page now and the man they interviewed looked to have been old enough to have been riding on the outside of the cabs early in his career. The hearing loss could have been contributed to that, it could also be from getting old.
    I will say this, its easy to pass judgment on someone when you have not been in the same situation. what would you do if 10 years down the road you could not hear anything? would you just sit around and say well its my fault or would you look for a reason?
    I watched that video and its quite possible the gentlemans hearing is decreased, but how many other loud noise areas could he have been exposed to in his life. Home handyman, exposed to loud sawas, home mechanic, exposed to loud engines, second job in a workplace with loud noise levels and just age. I think its pretty difficult to try to pin this on sirenson a fire apparatus. Plus, I'm sure hearing protection hasbeen available in Boston for the last 30 or 40 years same as many other areas. Maybe a little personal responsibility needs to be accepted?

Banned

Well this will mean that all will be required to wear hearing protection while riding in the trucks.

It is normal to look for a reason. It is not normal to sue cause you are a whimp. The man is old. His hearing would be gone anyway. My grandfather couldn't hear and he was never a fireman. I can't believe they let this go to trial. What a sad world. You do something wrong and get hurt. Then you sue cause it was your fault, but you want some money.
    FF/Paramedic

Lighten up Francis!

Huh? What you say? What? Hey this has been building for years! The members in Chicago how are part of this suit were on the job long before most guys in here were born.

I too have hearing lost. From sirens, air horns, diesel motors loud exhaust. Why when I came on the job most of the apparatus were open cab pumpers and trucks. Hearing protection wasnít heard of. In the 1970ís they procured ear plugs and each member were issued these.

The IAFF was a big help in getting the NPFA to enact a standard on closed cabs trucks, hearing protection and noise reduction and the makers of the trucks to get on board and help the members who had to ride them.

Donít blast these members for trying to get relief from Federal Signal. One day you will retire and will have hearing lost, hypertension and hopefully not cancer or anything that bad.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Men who breathed smoke??

This was the generation that laughed at us FNGs for wearing those airpacks on ALL fires- even the vehicles and dumpsters. "what's the matter- can't take it boy!!" I guess we're just sissies. I find it quite ironic that this generation would complain about the obvious now.

These guys were typical smokers too. I guess they figure they can't win a lawsuit from the fact that their bosses didn't ORDER them to wear their airpacks in the latter portions of their careers.

Forum Member

im not saying its not his fault that his hearing is gone or that even it is the siren companies fault, im just saying that its easy to say well its his fault automatically without knowing everything and without having it happen to yourself. Im not going to say its anyone fault because i dont know the story. i am all for personal responsibility, but sometimes there are circumstances that you cannot avoid.

Forum Member

Lawsuits are only good if you're going after deep pockets (I know "duh"). This suit is no different than if you were in law enforcenment and sued Colt because you shot youself in the foot. Sorry man, got no sympathy for them.

Forum Member

im not saying its not his fault that his hearing is gone or that even it is the siren companies fault, im just saying that its easy to say well its his fault automatically without knowing everything and without having it happen to yourself. Im not going to say its anyone fault because i dont know the story. i am all for personal responsibility, but sometimes there are circumstances that you cannot avoid.

No one is saying its automaticlly his fault, or that he shouldn't be upset about his hearing loss, but suing a siren manufacturer is idiotic. They just made the thing, they didn't mount it near where we rode on the truck. The truck themselves are very loud, why doesn't he sue the truck manufacturer? Why doesn't he sue the person who made the speakers in the firehouse, I'm sure those were loud. You can also find someone to pin something on, but that doesn't mean you should sue.

It sucks this guy has hearing loss, but so does practically every other older person.

Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Lawsuits are only good if you're going after deep pockets (I know "duh"). This suit is no different than if you were in law enforcenment and sued Colt because you shot youself in the foot. Sorry man, got no sympathy for them.
    I have hearing loss from when I had to fire my service weapon, pay me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I have hearing loss from when I had to fire my service weapon, pay me.
    Actually we should, we should have better benefits for veterans, but that is a whole different story that we dont need to get into right now.

Forum Member

Actually we should, we should have better benefits for veterans, but that is a whole different story that we dont need to get into right now.
    We as in the U.S. Government or We as in whoever makes firearms for the military. Big difference

Its a simple concept, one even OSHA understands. Just because they don't have specific regulations on it, if a bunch of employees are suffering a problem (say hearing loss) you have a duty to attempt to protect them from the hazard. This isn't Federal Signals fault.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by engineeremtp View Post
    This was the generation that laughed at us FNGs for wearing those airpacks on ALL fires- even the vehicles and dumpsters. "what's the matter- can't take it boy!!" I guess we're just sissies. I find it quite ironic that this generation would complain about the obvious now.

These guys were typical smokers too. I guess they figure they can't win a lawsuit from the fact that their bosses didn't ORDER them to wear their airpacks in the latter portions of their careers.
    Wow, it sounds like someone got teased...

Forum Member

The guys who sued - should have worn their hearing protection, right? So you know that these departments they worked for issued hearing protection, right?
    Last edited by Whocares; 02-25-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig77 View Post
    If the sirens are too loud, then your to soft for firefighting. Period
    First off, it's "too soft" and "you're", and in an amusing twist of fate, you forgot a period after "period". Secondly, you are the same guy that posted this, right?

Alot of you people need to worry about more important things like training and keeping guys from getting hurt.
    So which is it? Are you concerned about safety or not? Hearing loss isn't cool enough for you? Ahh, what do I know, I'm to soft, I guess.
    Last edited by Whocares; 02-25-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Thread Information