Forum Member

Default Explorers Injuries??

Does anyone know of any stories of Explorers being hurt or even killed in the line of duty??

Forum Member

A lot.

Do a search. I know a couple will come up...

I was injured at a department (not an explorer drill) drill while doing RIT scenarios back in April - went through surgery in July and was on light duty through October '08. PM me and I'll explain.
    There was also another explorer from my post injured at the last nationals at IFSI - sustained a back injury that occurred during the CPAT (which she completed in 5 minutes flat- she even fell on her tail-bone during the Rescue Randy drag - and was only on the post for a month at that point).

Learning for Life has fully reimbursed my parents and her parents. My personal isurance paid 90% and LFL paid us back the remaining 10%.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Here's a few...

(from 2003)
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...List&issueID=5

Jr. FF here - but nearly the same difference (August 2008)
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...tory.php?70512

(May 2008)
    http://www.firefighternation.com/for...Topic%3A683156
    Same incident:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/Connecticut-Explorer-Riding-Bike-Killed-in-Crash/46$59417

There also another widely-known one a few years ago that sparked the controversy of explorers getting LODD benefits... I can't remember where it happened, though, so I can't find it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Here's a few...

(from 2003)
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...List&issueID=5

Jr. FF here - but nearly the same difference (August 2008)
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...tory.php?70512

(May 2008)
    http://www.firefighternation.com/for...Topic%3A683156
    Same incident:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/Connecticut-Explorer-Riding-Bike-Killed-in-Crash/46$59417

There also another widely-known one a few years ago that sparked the controversy of explorers getting LODD benefits... I can't remember where it happened, though, so I can't find it.
    Do they currently get LODD benifitts?/

Forum Member

Unhappy

I Know there was one in Phili... and i was just wondering after a near miss on my last call!

Forum Member

It's the department's choice from what I know as far as the funeral details go (like whether they're doing a last alarm ceremony). I don't know what the final ruling was on a national level as far as what the family gets out of it and what-not.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

chris kangas from PA died while responding to a call while riding his bike, he was classified as a Jr member and the dept gave full honors for funeral, however his family has been fighting for benefits for many yrs now- they are saying because he was not a full member he is not entilied to benifits- this was back in 2002-03 i believe. After this occurred we stopped allowing our explorers to respond to calls

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    A lot.

Do a search. I know a couple will come up...

I was injured at a department (not an explorer drill) drill while doing RIT scenarios back in April - went through surgery in July and was on light duty through October '08. PM me and I'll explain.
    There was also another explorer from my post injured at the last nationals at IFSI - sustained a back injury that occurred during the CPAT (which she completed in 5 minutes flat- she even fell on her tail-bone during the Rescue Randy drag - and was only on the post for a month at that point).

Learning for Life has fully reimbursed my parents and her parents. My personal isurance paid 90% and LFL paid us back the remaining 10%.
    In addition to the two above mentioned injuires, just this past fall another post member was doing a search in an abandoned house before the FD was going to burn it and somehow got a pretty bad lac on his hand. Even with gloves on. He got a few stitches and it was all covered I believe.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

FF Chris Kangas was killed riding his bike to the firestation.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    In addition to the two above mentioned injuires, just this past fall another post member was doing a search in an abandoned house before the FD was going to burn it and somehow got a pretty bad lac on his hand. Even with gloves on. He got a few stitches and it was all covered I believe.
    I forgot about that...
    Sorry.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    FF Chris Kangas was killed riding his bike to the firestation.
    That's who I was trying to think of... I knew his first name was Chris, but I forgot his last name.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

None around here, but it happens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitzjr11 View Post
    chris kangas from PA died while responding to a call while riding his bike, he was classified as a Jr member and the dept gave full honors for funeral, however his family has been fighting for benefits for many yrs now- they are saying because he was not a full member he is not entilied to benifits- this was back in 2002-03 i believe. After this occurred we stopped allowing our explorers to respond to calls
    they arent allowed to respond at all??

Forum Member

As it seems, there are a lot of departments that don't allow explorers/juniors to respond on calls. We don't respond on calls (unless we're on a ride along).
    My personal opinions in explorers responding kind of contradicts each other. We can be beneficial on fire scenes - no doubt - but there are scenes that we don't need to be around (we've had fire scenes that this WOULD have been an issue - as recent as December). There are times where we're just in the way. This all comes down to safety.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

correct there are at least 3-4 juniors/explorers i know of that have been killed while responding to calls, after Kangas was killed we stopped having the explorers respond to calls. Being that explorers/juniors could only ride if there was room and not on 1st due or to mutual aid calls they weren't getting to go on many calls to begin wih. We decided that it was not worth the risk of having one of ours killed or injured for what possibly getting to go on a call? Explorers/Juniors are not essential to the call getting covered and the fire going out. Is it nice to have them there-yes it was, but is the risk worth it? As adults when we here confirmed structure fire the adrelilin is pumping and we tend to drive faster- now you have teens doing the same thing- however are inexperienced drivers combine that with rain, or snow and it equals possible disaster. Our explorers do a lot of training, and are very active, they can look forward to going on cals when they are 18- if they get to do everything now what will they have to look forward to when they join? So- no our explorers DO NOT respond to calls

Forum Member

Juniors that have been killed: Junior FF Martin Dunson FD, Dunson LA
    Junior FF Brisco- Hickory Flat MS
    Chris Kangas- Brookhaven PA
    Andee Huber Newcastle, Wyoming

All killed responding to calls

Thread Information