Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Outdoor legalities for using different fire options?

Hi everyone, I don't know if this thread belong in this forum, if not then please move it to an appropriate forum, thanks. I live in NY have a few questions about using firewood in the yard. I am being told that by the NY Fire Prevention Services that you cannot use any "open flame" fire types outdoors, only charcoal so what I don't understand is why are "ring stoves" and copper pits legally sold? Weber has been producing more and more new versions of ring stoves in combination BBQ grills every year.

Also, why are "Briquets" which is essentially wood chips being sold and you can't use raw firewood? Please explain, thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure about your city/state but alot of Texas cities have open burning laws. The intention is to keep spark/ember generation as well as size of the fire under control. The fire must be enclosed 360 degrees and a grate covering to reduce spark/ember generation.

I don't think polution is a reason but ya never know. Maybe getting with local Fire Marshall would be the best option. Your city may have something specific on the books and usually the FM handles the enforcement or at least can interpet.

Be safe, R2

I came to the net because the person I spoke to in the Fire preventions Services in NY could not answer any of the questions asked. All he would tell me is that "charcoal" is the only fire option allowed. The people at 311 NY Information Center told me Ring stoves are allowed now all I need to find out is if "Briquets" are allowed for use in like BBq grills or Copper Pits?

Forum Member

This does not really fit in industrial firefighting. But, people dont burn huge amounts of charcoal, they may however burn the tree they just cut down. If they say charcoal is your only option, then charcoal is your ONLY option.

The guy at the Fire Prevention Services Dept. told me "he knows for sure that charcoal is allowed but he does not know about the other issues and he has no idea what a copper pit is and don't know where to direct me for correct answers" so this is the problem, there doesn't seem to be anyone anywhere who can answer these questions so we will never know, that's the main problem here.

What I am trying mainly to get at is the issue of using firewood in my copper pit. The way I see it, the copper pit comes with both a metal grill and small spark screen

http://www.outdoor-fireplace-guide.c...mpaign=9878192

so I don't see why this would be illegal since it poses absolutely no fire threat?

Thread Information