Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Futureemt73193 View Post
    Thanks for the advice that was given....some of it is helpful!! Sorry...didn't mean to start anything.
    no, its not you. and your welcome. stay safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by post21
    You are both complete idiots!! Like i have said before JOIN AND ACTUAL FIRE DEPARTMENT!!! Both of you know nothing about the fire service. You need to stop thinking that you are almighty and all knowing. Instead of trying to cut people up on their comments. Why dont you try and give this kid some help on getting dedication to his post instead of making stupid comments to me that i wont even consider because they make no sence and because both of you have no knowledge of the fire service.
    I hate when other young people go on here and misrepresent my age group.

I'm at 17 year old fire explorer. Not only that, but I am also a Red Cross DAT volunteer, and a volunteer for my county's EMA. I'm also a highschool student, and plan to attend Emory University for medicine. I currently have a sole-proprietorship business under which I do web development, and am contracted out to many local design firms under this name.

Basically, my point is, we're not all that stupid. Sorry this fool couldn't push his new-found testicles away and show some respect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by post21 View Post
    You are both complete idiots!! Like i have said before JOIN AND ACTUAL FIRE DEPARTMENT!!! Both of you know nothing about the fire service. You need to stop thinking that you are almighty and all knowing. Instead of trying to cut people up on their comments. Why dont you try and give this kid some help on getting dedication to his post instead of making stupid comments to me that i wont even consider because they make no sence and because both of you have no knowledge of the fire service.

Dude... get the fire ants out of your panties and undo your wedgie.
    PM me if you want to argue. Don't ever call me out... Don't ever call me an idiot.
    And don't ever get on a high horse on the internet towards someone you don't even know because chances are, they'll prove you wrong.
    PM me if you want to continue, please. If not, then maybe go spend some time at the fire house and go through some units and get to know them by the back of your hand. Then, come back and tell me what the denver tool is and then tell me all the uses for it. Also tell me what a pike pole is and the difference between a kelly tool and a halligan bar.

BTW, to the senior guys on here... is Alex back???
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 03-15-2009 at 03:31 AM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice that was given....some of it is helpful!! Sorry...didn't mean to start anything.
    What bhare said...
    It wasn't your fault. You were just looking for ideas and I/we wanted to make sure you wouldn't take his advice of breaching command. I know we're explorers/juniors, but your image sticks with you and if you're known to be a jackbutt, you'll always be a jackbutt and everyone will remember that. You'll lose any respect you have from firefighters/advisors/fellow explorers and you'll never get respect. It's a constant wheel.
    Keep your head up, hopes high, have a good attitude, and be smart about the decisions you make. And remember what the great Ghandi once said - "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

You didn't start anything. Post21 did by opening his pie hole. You are very welcome. Anytime you want to bounce something around for ideas feel free to PM me. I will even give you my email. I am more than willing to help a newbie go in the right direction. That being said, I am going to now give you the biggest piece of advice I think I could ever give you:

**Don't EVER listen to anything Post21 has to say, offer, suggest, tell, lend, advise, etc etc etc etc. Listening to him will only get you in trouble.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Anytime you need suggestions for training let me know. I am on my third year as chief so if you need any suggestions i will be happy to help. Stay Safe and good luck.

Forum Member

Well what knowledge do you have? How long have you been in the fire service because FWDbuff, RFRDxplorer, RFxplr326 and bharer75 have been in longer then you have. Try to take some advice for once and not try to but heads with them.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Hey Kids.............

CALM DOWN!........ Several of you should thoroughly understand Several Things that could be VERY Important to your future direction, in or out of the Fire Service.

1. Some, not all, Young folks are starting to really upset the rest of us due to their desire to flap their jaws, or in this case, their Keyboards, without learning the proper use of it first. This is an online forum, IT IS NOT A TEXT MESSAGE!. NEVER use "u", spell it out, as in "you" and the worst is "i" when used in reference to yourself, it is always "I". Oh yeah, don't forget that it is "are" and not "r". Use punctuation marks as well, nothing is worse than a full page post that is a single unending sentence.

2. Discipline: I can see from over a mile away, without my glasses, that none of you have any Military background at all. Yes, I realize that most of you are too young to actually serve, I am referring to things like High School ROTC, Parent or close friend/relative in the service, etc. The Fire Service is semi military in that a fixed Chain of Command exists, along with many other military style operating components. Being able to follow and work within this framework is an absolute must!. Lack of ability to Train, lack of ability to follow your Training, Lack of ability to be a TEAM MEMBER, all will get you to the same place, whether it's Fire Service or Military - DEAD. A burning Building in Heartland USA and the Sand Dunes of Itzagascan have one thing in common - Disciplined Teamwork is required to do the job, and come home when it's over.

In closing, Your Brain is the most important tool ever invented, but you have to use it properly.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post

Dude... get the fire ants out of your panties and undo your wedgie.
    PM me if you want to argue. Don't ever call me out... Don't ever call me an idiot.
    And don't ever get on a high horse on the internet towards someone you don't even know because chances are, they'll prove you wrong.
    PM me if you want to continue, please. If not, then maybe go spend some time at the fire house and go through some units and get to know them by the back of your hand. Then, come back and tell me what the denver tool is and then tell me all the uses for it. Also tell me what a pike pole is and the difference between a kelly tool and a halligan bar.

Here is where you are wrong again. I will call you what ever I want, whenever I want.
    You are an idiot.

Forum Member

Here is where you are wrong again. I will call you what ever I want, whenever I want.
    You are an idiot.
    And you are a child.

Just a peice of advice post21. Part of being in a junior deparment is growing up faster then your peers in your school. If your a senior... then theres no reason for you to act so childishly. Your an idiot is A not constructive towards anything here and B: is what 10 year olds say when they can't think of a better burn and know there beat.

I started real recently as a junior and I was a punk little kid about a year ago when you see people at MVAs and fires hurt or killed it should teach you a lesson. I know it did for me.

Lets grow up here people. (not all of you need to. You know who you are)

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Uhh...........

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post

If it looks like a Duck..............

And Duck season opens on Monday............
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-15-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Does anyone have any ideas how to get your post involved and just awesome. I'm not saying I don't like my post so don't get that idea. But we just kind of do the basic stuff and then just sit on the outside....We rarely do anything out of the box and I'm always reading about or seeing other posts having mock disasters and really cool trainings. I love some of the trainings we do but we need to think more out of the box and get more involved. I would like to see our Chief of the post really step up and take some initiative but I don't know what to say to give us a jump start. I just need some ideas or hints that would be helpful. Thanks!
    Here are some Ideas:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1726708546
    SCBA Knowledge, this was fun then we practiced buddy breathing in a dark room with gloves on. Practice Hosting tools. If your Department allows, Possibly do a car extrication with no Hydraulic tools. (Learning for Life Doesn't allow explores to operate hydraulic tools). If your department has a Forcible entry prop practice forcing a door. If you have a ventilation prop learn how to properly vent a roof. Confined space/SCBA confidence course.

Ask your fellow explorers what they would like to learn, sometimes they have some pretty cool ideas. I personnel like going to other local fire department and learn about there trucks and tools. The ideas are endless it just depends on what your post allows its explorers to do. Feel free to PM me.

Post21, Here is where you are wrong again. I will call you what ever I want, whenever I want.
    You are an idiot.
    No, you can't call anyone whatever you want. It's CALLED RESPECT!!!!!! I suggest you learn how to respect a senior guy/gal they have EARNED there way there. It wasn't just given to them. I agree with FWDbuff, you are a child!
    Delta107

Forum Member

In before the lock just one more time......

Like harve said..... its real easy to see who has military background and who doesnt.

I wonder what my Coast Guard cadre would have said if I called him $hithead? But hey, if I can call anyone whatever I want, it shouldnt be a problem right?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Alrighty then. I'll just ignore the idiot making a fool of himself and get back to the topic at hand.

This can be an uphill battle. Trying to motivate and engage a diverse group of teenagers can be somewhat like herding cats. In my experience as a former Explorer and now the sucker LT that runs the program for my department, it will come and go in phases. Usually you have a core group of 2-4 kids that are very into it and want to do everything, participate in everything, do more, and go above and beyond. They go to calls regardless of time of day or night (witin the rules of course). Participate in outside training. Etc etc etc. We have three in our post right now who, if they stick around town after college, will probably be future officers and chiefs.

Then the remainder of the membership comes to drills and meetings, and beyond that you never see them. You can do everything under the sun to motivate them further but if they don't care, nothing you do will help. Some will complain when you give them something to do and will complain about a lack of something to do. Its life.

You are also competing with things such as:
    - School & Homework
    - School athletics
    - Other after-school related programs
    - Girls (or boys)
    - Friends outside the department
    - Parties
    - Family
    - Vacations
    - Laziness

The ones who are in that first group will fit the FD in with all those other competing things. (Somewhere between girls and friends). The others will have it just under the bottom.

If you have ideas and suggestions, bring them to your post chief. Be concise but not pushy. Talk to the other members about your ideas. By that, I don't mean organize a mutiny. You need to get everyone motivated to do stuff, not just the post chief.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    If it looks like a Duck..............
    Atta boy, Chief!
    I was wondering who'd be the first to catch that...
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

post 21. if anyone found out what department your in... let alone if someone in that department did. you could be (most likely) expelled. sounds like a fair trade for "calling people whatever you want" on the internet huh?.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    post 21. if anyone found out what department your in... let alone if someone in that department did. you could be (most likely) expelled. sounds like a fair trade for "calling people whatever you want" on the internet huh?.
    I have a sneaking suspicion of his department. But I will sit on it in the hopes that he realizes his mistakes and takes the appropriate action.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion of his department. But I will sit on it in the hopes that he realizes his mistakes and takes the appropriate action.
    I have done a little research on his dept as well.........
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Administrator

The poster has been warned. Let it go; move along.

Webteam

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    The poster has been warned. Let it go; move along.

Webteam
    Thanks!!!!!!

Thread Information