Forum Member

Default Dedication to the Post

Does anyone have any ideas how to get your post involved and just awesome. I'm not saying I don't like my post so don't get that idea. But we just kind of do the basic stuff and then just sit on the outside....We rarely do anything out of the box and I'm always reading about or seeing other posts having mock disasters and really cool trainings. I love some of the trainings we do but we need to think more out of the box and get more involved. I would like to see our Chief of the post really step up and take some initiative but I don't know what to say to give us a jump start. I just need some ideas or hints that would be helpful. Thanks!
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

Well the first thing i would try and do is possibly run against him for chief??
    But you may also be able to bypass him completely and go to the chief of the department. And if all else fail do research and print papers out for him to see and if he sees what you are seeing he will want to do them too. In all honesty if he does not want to go the extra mile and try to do more elaborate training? then he shouldn't be in the fire service and definatlly shouldn't be leading your post.
    Do you train with the entire department or just as a post??

Forum Member

Thanks I will try to do at least one of those things.....Most likely try to get them to see what I see. It just depends what were doing.....usually it's just the post that trains but once in awhile we train with the department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Futureemt73193 View Post
    Thanks I will try to do at least one of those things.....Most likely try to get them to see what I see. It just depends what were doing.....usually it's just the post that trains but once in awhile we train with the department.
    i totally understand that some departments don't have enough apparatus to train with explorers, but if the seats are open you may be able to work out like a... rotation. You can have half the explorers train with the department and the rest train the following week.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Alrighty Thanks!! If you think of anything else feel free to post it.....

Forum Member

Default ideas

Try to get together with other explorer posts in your area. I started this in my explorer program and we have been successful scine i started it. We do it once a month on a sunday morning and rotate between posts and do different activities.

Forum Member

Alright thanks. Sounds great!!

Forum Member

run it like the fire academy, do drills like them, do some crazy hose lay bottle up and get a smoke or fog machine, do SAR, obstacle courses.. ill post more later

Forum Member

try doing ladders, what you should do is talk to maybe a younger firemen in your department that may be some what close to you, and see if he will come up and supervise some training with you maybe on like a saturday. You dont have to do it behind your explorer officers backs, but you also dont have to invite them to come. Just invite the kids that you know will come. And if your officers do come: then so be it, it is probally better that they come.

Forum Member

we do ropes and knots, webbing, ladders(14' roof and 25' extention), hose lays, EMS, wildland,...etc then incorporate them into drills

http://www.firefighternation.com/vid...und-drill-2008

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by post21 View Post
    try doing ladders, what you should do is talk to maybe a younger firemen in your department that may be some what close to you, and see if he will come up and supervise some training with you maybe on like a saturday. You dont have to do it behind your explorer officers backs, but you also dont have to invite them to come. Just invite the kids that you know will come. And if your officers do come: then so be it, it is probally better that they come.
    I have a problem with this statement. Actually, I have problems with this statement.
    Explorers is all about teamwork, leadership, and self-confidence. With that said, how are you helping to promote teamwork, leadership, and self-confidence by keeping people out of the loop? EVERYONE is equal. No one should be singled out. Everyone should recieve an equal chance - EQUAL OPPORTUNITY.
    Lets turn the tables... You're an officer and a probie explorer decids he wants to get a few guys together, excluding the officers, to do something as simple as looking through the trucks on a Saturday morning. The probie explorer asks a probie firefighter to supervise. You don't tell your officers because you're trying to prove some kind of point to them that you'll know your stuff. What's wrong with this picture?
    1) The probie explorers may or may not know enough to take themselves through the trucks.
    2) The probie firefighter may not know his trucks yet and may teach you incorrectly.
    3) The probie firefighter can't legally be liable for you if you break your ankle climbing around the trucks because he's not an advisor yet (since he's probably not yet 21 years old).
    4) You're ruining the idea of exploring and you're breaching command.

Step inside the shoes of a probie firefighter who gets a group of probie ffs together to do some training, leaving out senior ffs and depatment line officers and not letting them know this will be going on. Who's getting in trouble for breaching command? That's right, YOU.

Try not to take things upon yourself. It's a group effort. This is a situation that one single person can't make a difference. Everyone needs to contrubute to pull it off.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    "RFxplr326's last post".
    I agree, you need to understand how the fire service works post21... it is chain of command and being on the bottom of that means your word means nothing. Surpassing an officers decisions would mean your untrustworthy in the department and in my explorer post, expulsion.

Forum Member

I agree with the last two posts. Get a group of you together with what you want to train on and then present it to the officer. Dont try to go over there head. You elected him/her to that position so you should respect him/her for the duties that the officer has to put up with. Once you get into his/her shoes and have to do all the planning then you just do what you are told and if you have suggestions, kindly bring them up with the officer and if you dont like him/her run against him/her next year.

Forum Member

Well the first thing i would try and do is possibly run against him for chief?? This is a dumb statement.
    But you may also be able to bypass him completely and go to the chief of the department.This is a dumber statement. And if all else fail do research and print papers out for him to see and if he sees what you are seeing he will want to do them too. In all honesty if he does not want to go the extra mile and try to do more elaborate training? then he shouldn't be in the fire service and definatlly shouldn't be leading your post. This is the dumbest statement of all.
    Do you train with the entire department or just as a post??
    Post21- I have a suggestion for you. I can't word it politically correct, there is just no way around it, so I am going to say it outright. It may cause you to cry, and for that I am not sorry.

**Until if and when you gain some more maturity, experience, and understanding of Fire Department Administrative Polices and Procedures, I strongly encourage you to keep your mouth clamped firmly SHUT.**

1. Run against him for Chief. Wow. Great way to introduce yourself into the Volunteer Fire Service. So typical it's not even funny. Get mad at someone, run against them. Very, very mature. See #3.

2. Bypass him and go to the Chief of Department. Son, let me tell you something about the rank structure I was brought up in, which is very similar to many rank structures within many Career and Volunteer organizations within Southeastern Pennsylvania as well as other places.....There is something called "The Unified Chain of Command." This is in place not only on the fire ground, but also within the station when in quarters. You go outside the chain of command, and you could very well find yourself labeled a CRYBABY, troublemaker and in some places, you can be brought up on departmental charges in certain circumstances. God forbid you bypass the Senior Man in my firehouse, because that strange sensation in the seat of your pants will be his FOOT!

Here is my unified chain of command at my organization:

SENIOR MAN: non-officer....in this case it just happens to be me!
    COMPANY LEVEL OFFICER: The Lieutenant or Captain who is in charge of your individual Engine or Truck Company.....
    DEPARTMENT LEVEL OFFICER: Perhaps a senior Captain or a low-grade Asst Chief. In the case of a larger department, perhaps a Battalion Chief.
    SENIOR OFFICERS: Assistant or Deputy Chiefs and THEN the Fire Chief.

3. "In all honesty if he does not want to go the extra mile and try to do more elaborate training? then he shouldn't be in the fire service and definatlly shouldn't be leading your post."

This is the statement that proves to me you are probably 15 years old with little to no knowledge of not only your fellow man, but how things work within the fire service. Have you ever stopped to consider:

-Perhaps he HAS tried in the past to go the extra mile and arrange more elaborate training, only to be shot down by the powers in charge?

-Perhaps he has been told that due to insurance regulations that they really cant do anything more than what is occurring now?

-Perhaps he has been told that due to lack of adult leadership or supervisors, that they cant really do anything more than they are now????

-Did you even think to suggest a sit-down with the Post's leaders and Officers, to brainstorm and come up with newer and better ideas to take to the Department for approval? No! Of course not! Just run against him for Chief and take over the world! All will be right!

-Did you ever stop to think the perhaps the leader of Futureemt73193's Post may be as immature an idiot as yourself, and due to his lack of knowledge, may not know how to approach his Department to ask for or suggest better training, much less solicit ideas from within his own Post?

Post21, It's brats like you that make me weep for the future of the fire service. I can guarantee you this- if you were in my firehouse, you would be polishing chrome until your arms feel like they want to fall off. And then when you run to the Chief (bypassing the senior man ) he would tell you to "awww your arms feel like they are going to fall off? Go polish for a few more hours, they will feel better."

Now, get off the computer and go do your homework for school. When that is done, you are to write a 5 page (minimum) report on the Higbee Cut. Include it's history and it's contributions to the modern fire service. You will be graded on grammar, composition, and word usage. For every mistake that I find, I will make a list of hand tools that you must clean, sand/grind, and then paint.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Post21- I have a suggestion for you. I can't word it politically correct, there is just no way around it, so I am going to say it outright. It may cause you to cry, and for that I am not sorry.

**Until if and when you gain some more maturity, experience, and understanding of Fire Department Administrative Polices and Procedures, I strongly encourage you to keep your mouth clamped firmly SHUT.**
    Bravo FWD. Bravo.

Post21 was stalking me around these boards a week or so ago and I finally shook him off me but I couldn't resist this comment.

That is all.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Bravo FWD. Bravo.

Post21 was stalking me around these boards a week or so ago and I finally shook him off me but I couldn't resist this comment.

That is all.
    He has neither the balls nor the intellect to stalk me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

Well said FWDbuff.

I was wondering when some other people would catch this stuff he's been saying...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

WOW! that post had more burn than the triangle shirtwaist factory fire

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    we do ropes and knots, webbing, ladders(14' roof and 25' extention), hose lays, EMS, wildland,...etc then incorporate them into drills

http://www.firefighternation.com/vid...und-drill-2008
    That video is really good. I'll suggest that to the Sgt. who runs our program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    WOW! that post had more burn than the triangle shirtwaist factory fire

You are both complete idiots!! Like i have said before JOIN AND ACTUAL FIRE DEPARTMENT!!! Both of you know nothing about the fire service. You need to stop thinking that you are almighty and all knowing. Instead of trying to cut people up on their comments. Why dont you try and give this kid some help on getting dedication to his post instead of making stupid comments to me that i wont even consider because they make no sence and because both of you have no knowledge of the fire service.

Forum Member

You are both complete idiots!! Like i have said before JOIN AND ACTUAL FIRE DEPARTMENT!!! Both of you know nothing about the fire service. You need to stop thinking that you are almighty and all knowing. Instead of trying to cut people up on their comments. Why dont you try and give this kid some help on getting dedication to his post instead of making stupid comments to me that i wont even consider because they make no sence and because both of you have no knowledge of the fire service.
    YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE! if you look I PUT MY HELP ON HERE FOR HIM. then you post that trainwreck!

join an actual firedepartment?? who the hell do you work for huh?

MY DEPARTMENT- is a joint powers authority that serves more than 1.3 million residents in 22 cities and the unincorporated areas
    With over 66 fire stations

Forum Member

You are both complete idiots!!
    and then you go calling me and FWDBuff that. He just so happens to be a senior member of the forums and most likely a FF. You, again, try and put down a higher ranking man.

you have 33 posts of nothing on the forums.

Forum Member

Can you please elaborate? To which two idiots were you referring?

Forum Member

How do you know that I'm not on a department?

Hint: Ask weruj, hwoods, rfxplr.....check that....you hate him too.

You sound like a 12 year old. You sir need to grow up.. By the tone of your posts one can easily tell that you are a young cocky SOB who thinks he is king $hit.

If you only take one piece of advice out of my "3000+ posts of nonsense" as you called them, do not disrespect the sr. members of these forums. Many of them have more time trimming their nosehair than both you and I have been alive.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice that was given....some of it is helpful!! Sorry...didn't mean to start anything.

Thread Information