Forum Member

For those looking for jobs the Seminoles are hiring FF/PM for both part and full time. The ad was in yesterdays Palm Beach Post. Starting was 42K and change. The only down fall to working for them is that your not Union, and people have been fired for the littlest BS.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tampa Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    FFPotenziano, you're a good help.
    Quick question. Without the grant, how many does TFR look to hire? Is preference is given to fire/medics?

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, I don't have exact numbers for you when it comes what the city is approving for hiring. I can tell you, we have approx. 15 + open positions. Most of those are promoted PARAMEDIC positions, the ones you see on the city employment page.

As far as preference for medics, I really don't know. You would think so being all the engines are ALS.

Good Luck

Forum Member

just as an update, since during my search i noticed there isnt much information out there about going through the equivalency testing..

i have sent out all my information/certifications and was accepted to apply for the equivalency exam..

for the actual full application you're required to send the paper application, copy of your high school dimploma or equivalent, name change documentation(if applicable), fingerprinting(either by having the card filled out and done locally or by going to a pearson vue testing center and having it done digitally), personal inquiry waiver filled out and notarized by a Florida Notary(must be a state of florida notary), and a medical exam completely filled out by a Florida physician, PA or RNP(this includes things such as an ekg, eye exam, hearing test, and run of the mill physical), a $30.00 check for the application fee and a copy of the acceptance letter that comes with this package.

i recently took a trip down to kissimmee and had all this completed...i used medero medical for the physical and just went to a local notary for the inquiry waiver(ended up using a UPS store) the physical cost $110.00 out of pocket (as i found out all the occupational health offices did not accept private insurance)

Forum Member

Keep us updated on how this goes. You are the first person I ever heard of that may get any kind of FF reciprocity.

Forum Member

i'm scheduled to take the written and practical exams on september 21st

Forum Member

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

This may help:

http://www.floridafireprograms.com/media.html

This video has been on there a while. It says proposed changes but I think they are now current. Maybe someone else can verify this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SWFLFFPM View Post
    Good luck.

Keep us posted.

This may help:

This video has been on there a while. It says proposed changes but I think they are now current. Maybe someone else can verify this.
    This is the new "Big Three" for the state test. I would HIGHLY suggest that if you are challenging the FL exam take the exam refresher course at the Fire College. They don't teach you how to be a FL FF, but they give a lot of insight on what to expect on the exam. A lot of people who take this test "cold" don't do as well as expected.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Quote Originally Posted by Steeda83 View Post
    i'm scheduled to take the written and practical exams on september 21st
    Hi

I'm a Firefighter who has just recently moved to Florida from London, England and am going through the same Equivalency process that you are to get certified. In fact I've just completed the application for the same exam date as you! (September 21st)

If we could compare notes on preparing for it I would really appreciate it as like you I've found that there is nothing on the web regarding this process!

I'm looking to do the 3 day refresher course before the exam as well.

Luke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPotenziano View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have exact numbers for you when it comes what the city is approving for hiring. I can tell you, we have approx. 15 + open positions. Most of those are promoted PARAMEDIC positions, the ones you see on the city employment page.

As far as preference for medics, I really don't know. You would think so being all the engines are ALS.

Good Luck
    I applied for Tampa but i must of just missed the deadline. I was told they wont be scheduling any more PAT's till January.
    "You haven't lived until you've found something worth dying for."

Default Equivalency Exam

Hi,

I just completed and passed the equivalency exam at Ocala after doing the refresher course and just thought I would post a few notes as I know there is no information on the Web about this.

Written Test:

Get the IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting and Fire Department Operations Textbook Edition 5. This contains EVERYTHING you need for the written exam. The pass mark is 70% and you have to know this book inside and out. Don't just learn the highlighted sections. The written exam questions are on some really obscure details which are hidden in the text of the book and you will miss them if you just skim through the pages.

Refresher Course:

Make sure you take the three day refresher course beforehand. The Florida state test has changed no less than three times in just the past year (2009) and doing this course is probably the only way you will be properly prepared. Guys who hadn't done it were finding out on the morning of the exam that it was nothing like what they had prepared for. I'd also reccomend doing the course at Ocala since you can practice with the exact same equipment and locations that will be used for the exam.

Practical Exam:

Morning = Big Three: SCBA, Hose, Ladder
    Afternoon = Fireground Skills

SCBA / Hose / Ladder go to this link and watch the video for a pretty good idea as to what to expect:

The new exam times are shorter than what the video says. SCBA doesn't include the crawl anymore. Hose Pull is now only the double minuteman load (not shown on the video but similar to the single minuteman shown) and after knocking the first two cones down you have to drag it charged another 50ft and knock down a third. Ladder is the same but with a shorter time limit.

Time limits (as of September 2009) are:

SCBA - 1:25
    Hose - 1:35
    Ladder - 2:25

Each section of the big three is worth 100 points and you need 70 on each to pass.

Fireground Skills:

5 Different areas (20 marks for each out of a total 100):

- Emergency Response Guidebook exercise (done in classroom)
    - Knots / Tool tying (know your knots!!!!)
    - Forcible entry (windows or doors)
    - Working from a ladder (hose, ventilating windows, assisting victims etc)
    - Hose (rolling, connections, burst hose, advancing hose, appliances etc)

The fireground skills are not timed and are all covered on the refresher course (although you do not get much chance to practice them).

You don't get your results on the day but you can check online within 24hours.

If you fail one section (eg. scba/hose/ladder/fireground/written) you can come back and just retake that section to pass. You don't have to retake the whole exam. Pass mark for each section is 70/100.

I hope this helps anyone who is going through the process. Any questions please feel free to ask me. Especially any firefighters coming from the UK who need help on anything.

Luke

Forum Member

Thanks for posting this.

You are the first FF I've ever heard of that actually got reciprocity.

Thread Information