Forum Member

Question florida firefighter equivalency exam

Hi all
    I am applying for the firefighter equivalency exam and have just started part 2 which includes a medical physical to be completed by a florida state licensed physician. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this process or has any suggestions as to where I could have this completed. It includes a hearing test, etc.. very similar to a pre-screening for being accepted to a department

Forum Member

sorry for the double post, i neglected to read that it had to be read by a moderator first

Forum Member

while I have not done the equivalency exam, I imagine any occupational health doctor's office would have what you need. all of my physicals for fd's have been done at occupational health dr's offices and they do the hearing tests, lung tests, etc etc. a big one around central florida is lakeside occupational, but the yellow pages are your friend.

Forum Member

How did you get accepted to FL? I tried once and got rejected to even take the equivalency exam...I heard they dont like outsiders coming into their state.

Forum Member

they've never really seemed open to outsiders here..congradulations on gettin accepted.

Forum Member

I sent them a letter from the fulltime department i currently work for along with an outline detailing what was covered in my academy broken down by hours and my rhode island state certification along with my pro board certs for ff 1/2, safety officer, officer 1 and instructor 1. figured the more i sent to them the better chance i had of being accepted

Forum Member

Wow they accepted your certs, did you challenge the state exam?

Forum Member

Please continue to post your progress.

It seems no one has been given reciprocity.

What state are you from?

Forum Member

i'm from rhode island, i havent taken the exam yet

MembersZone Subscriber

There are some states that FL has reciprocity with. I'll ask around and see which ones they are, but I know they exist. If your FL compliance expires or if you are certified in one of these states you can challenge the state test. Your compliance will expire if you are not an active firefighter for 3 years and you have to retake the test or go through standards again.

If you are from out of state and are planning on challenging the state test I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you take the refresher course offered at the Fire College before taking the test. It's a weekend course that covers the written an practical sections. It doesn't teach you how to be a firefighter but gives you a preview of what the state is looking for and how the test is administered. There is a glaring difference between people who are challenging the test that take this class and people who take the test "cold".

As for the medical section, I was under the impression there was a form for the MD to fill out.
    Last edited by Fokker416; 02-27-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

anyone know why it seems to take longer for my posts to be put up and some arent being put up at all?

Forum Member

i sent them a letter from my current department's division of training outlining the course hours of my academy, my rhode island ff 1 and 2 cert along with my pro board for ff 1 and 2, safety officer, fire officer 1 and instructor 1

i'm from rhode island

and yes there is a medical form which needs to be filled out by a florida physician

Forum Member

does this thing work

Forum Member

apparently the moderator doesnt want to let me post under my name: engine12pfd so im using a buddies...
    anywho,
    when i sent in my app to challenge the cert i sent in a letter from my department's division of training along with copies of my rhode island firefighter 1 and 2 certs and proboard for ff 1 and 2, safety officer, fire officer 1 and instructor 1, since i had heard it's a pretty tough thing to get approved for i figured the more i sent them the better off i'd be

i'm a career firefighter in rhode island

and yes there is a medical form, but it needs to be completed by a florida physician

Forum Member

i havent challenged the test yet, im in the process, gettin the medical physical, fingerprinting and waiver signed is part 2 of the process

reebokhcfd, thanks for your help ive contacted the one you mentioned along with medero and a few others

Forum Member

Steeda83,

Hope it works out for man!!! Do you know where you want to live?

Forum Member

i like the tampa bay area, but theres obviously alot of big "if's" to overcome

Forum Member

yeah im aware of how hard it is..i was lucky enough to get on here in rhode island and i'm not unhappy here so who knows

MembersZone Subscriber

Waiting to hear the final word on the SAFER grant we received. The city needs to hire 36 F/F's when it's accepted. The Physical Agility is coming in April from what I've heard. Below is our new contract that will be approved tomorrow by city council.

FF $37,133 + $30 a paycheck EMT pay
    FF/PM $41,170 + $110.00 a paycheck Medic pay

Figure doesn't include 11 holidays @ 9.6 hours each.

City of Tampa Employment
    http://www.tampagov.net/appl_personn...RedirectID=229

*More information is available under some of my previous posts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPotenziano View Post
    Waiting to hear the final word on the SAFER grant we received. The city needs to hire 36 F/F's when it's accepted. The Physical Agility is coming in April from what I've heard. Below is our new contract that will be approved tomorrow by city council.

City of Tampa Employment

thanks alot for the information, i actually stumbled across a copy of your previous contract online too

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

And I thought we had it bad. It use to amaze me that city councils would stand for this kind of monetary loss and continual "guilty verdicts" against the city, but we deal with it all the time too. What needs to be done here is a personal law suit against the chief and/or city manager. We have one in progress now and it is most likely going to make the city manager turn on the chief and hang him out to dry, costing the taxpayers in the multi-million dollar range. Good luck Clearwater brothers!
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

City of Tampa Employment

I just received my letter from Tampa a few days ago and am scheduled for the Physical Agility on 4/21. Do you have any idea when they are planning on starting a new class or is it all pretty much based on the grant passing? The Physical Agility sounds tough but not too horrible, how is the rest of the hiring process work if you don't mind me asking?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll post here if and when the grant becomes finalized. Once it's accepted the has somewhere close to 60 days to fill the spots. Good Luck!

If your in a class under the grant program it will be like haul *****. If not it can take 6 months.
    Last edited by FFPotenziano; 03-07-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Forum Member

FFPotenziano, you're a good help.
    Quick question. Without the grant, how many does TFR look to hire? Is preference is given to fire/medics?

Thanks!

Thread Information