Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grant writers

Forum Member

Default Grant writers

My department is looking for a grant writer to do our safer and afg grant? we have tried the last few years on our own and have got no where so any input is a great help!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    My department is looking for a grant writer to do our safer and afg grant? we have tried the last few years on our own and have got no where so any input is a great help!
    Lots of us on this site write for others, and I'm sure that many are willing to help. That being said, it's almost getting too late in the game for an outsider to do a proper job for you. For most of us, the key to success is in the preparation. I know that the 16 I am writing this year are for all practical purposes done. The grant period is basically just a time to dot the i's and cross the t's and fine tune any unexpected changes in the program guide.

If you do decide to use someone other than yourselves, my advice this late in the game is to find someone who has done it before. That way the learning curve isn't near as long.

My advice to you is attend one of Kurt or Brians seminars.......read everything on this site......and ask questions of all of the posters who are more than willing to help! If you take the time to learn, you personally will be the most qualified and best person available to write your grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt (ktb9780) is in Indianapolis March 10-11. It's a long drive from any where in WI, but worth the trip. Take your past apps and narratives along for an evening session with your classmates. (first time i went to a Chief Grants seminar the dept paid the registration and i paid to fly to Orlando and picked up my own hotel bill--$350,000 later, it looks like the best investment we ever made) Cheaper than a grantwriter.

earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depends on where you're at too. I only have a VA, PA, and maybe another OR trip left in the next 8 days then we're off the road for workshops. My other guys have 2 in Georgia the next 2 days plus one in south TX on Saturday. All are free. Kurt (www.chiefgrants.com) gives free reviews, we (www.vickersconsultingservices.com) have a pile of free writing assistance outlets. In another thread I posted a pile of other places one could turn for help, think it was the Seminar Location thread.

Forum Member

I think all of Kurt's seminars have sold out. I am headed to Indy, and noticed that it was sold out a couple of days ago. But you can call and see if you can still get in. Earl, just wondering if you were down there when I was. I thik so, but not sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    I think all of Kurt's seminars have sold out. I am headed to Indy, and noticed that it was sold out a couple of days ago. But you can call and see if you can still get in. Earl, just wondering if you were down there when I was. I thik so, but not sure.
    I'm thinking it was January, 2005 that i went to Orlando. About a year and a half later, i sat down at the breakfast table during a CEDAP equipment training just down Universal Drive (Blvd?) from that Embassy Suites--and the guy i sat next to me had sat behind me for Kurt's seminar!!

I'd like to do a reunion in Indy, but i'll be two hours from Indy (turn left) or two hours from home (turn right). If i turn right--it's a three hour drive home after i get to Indy at 5 or 5:30. Next trip to NC i'll stop in Hazard--promise!!

earl

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Depends on where you're at too. I only have a VA, PA, and maybe another OR trip left in the next 8 days then we're off the road for workshops. My other guys have 2 in Georgia the next 2 days plus one in south TX on Saturday. All are free. Kurt (www.chiefgrants.com) gives free reviews, we (www.vickersconsultingservices.com) have a pile of free writing assistance outlets. In another thread I posted a pile of other places one could turn for help, think it was the Seminar Location thread.
    Hoping to see you in NJ in a week or so.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'll be there and rested too. Been bouncing around since last week, left Houston to go to Charleston SC, woke up Sunday at 4:30am there, went to bed at midnight PST in Spokane WA. Home at 3pm today, out tomorrow at noon for Norfolk VA. But I get back Sunday and don't wander anywhere until Thursday morning to head to Brick NJ. Then probably back from there and out to Eastern OR for the final workshop of the season. Then it's just me and the keyboard being unseparable for 7 weeks straight...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I'll be there and rested too. Been bouncing around since last week, left Houston to go to Charleston SC, woke up Sunday at 4:30am there, went to bed at midnight PST in Spokane WA. Home at 3pm today, out tomorrow at noon for Norfolk VA. But I get back Sunday and don't wander anywhere until Thursday morning to head to Brick NJ. Then probably back from there and out to Eastern OR for the final workshop of the season. Then it's just me and the keyboard being unseparable for 7 weeks straight...
    That right there is why i'll never be in the seminar or grantwriting business!! Plus the fact that i just don't have the skills--i guess that matters too.

earl

Forum Member

Same one in Orlando, I didn't stay on site though. My Chief (Retired) has a house over in Kissimmee that he let me take the family and stay in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dang, i wish i had known you then!! My wife and i were at a Comfort Inn or Comfort Suites i think. It was a great trip--but if you're not going to an attraction, that's a pretty quiet town!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Dang, i wish i had known you then!! My wife and i were at a Comfort Inn or Comfort Suites i think. It was a great trip--but if you're not going to an attraction, that's a pretty quiet town!!

That's right I forgot Earl, you did not come across the street over to Dueling Pianos bar that night. You missed all the "noise" that was there form the gorup. Look out Earl the Iceman cometh tomorrow to a town near you!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

For a first timer, You could hardly beat Indy's timing in advance of the anticipated March 16th opening date.

Thread Information