Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Extrication Training

I have recently been appointed a training officer in my department and I am looking for ideas to make our upcoming extrication training more efficient and a better learning experience. We will have two cars (one demo on all fours) and one on its side for more advanced techniques. This will involve firefighters and FF/EMTs and we will have one set of hydraulics and multiple hand tools. We have a full light rescue with bags, chocks, and res-Q jacks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

When I took the class, we had to do a scenario. We had two cars, one for practice, and the other for the scenario. The instructor put one of the students in command and the instructor played the role of dispatch. The student in charge had to give updates, keep track of the unit, and give commands. Mainly everything a person in charge of an actual incident would have to do. It was good, because it showed how people were so focused on getting the tools and start cutting stuff, before all the basics were done. Such as chocking, cribbing, cutting cables, and breaking glass.

Just something you might consider trying out.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot of how you approach it depends on the experience of those being trained. Keep in mind that you can teach several techniques on 1 vehicle. Make sure you cover the basics, securing the vehicle, cribbing etc. You can also do some patient removal drills before you start cutting.

We did an interesting scenario after we had removed doors, roof and rolled the dash. We assumed that the car had driven under a semi-trailer and was under the trailer up to the rear window. We then had to go in through the trunk.

Ultimately I think the evolutions depend on who are you trying to cater to: people with or without experience.

Repetition is never a bad thing so I would go through all the steps, beginners level or otherwise; stabilization, cribbing, using the rescue-jacks, etc. all the way up to door removal, flapping the envelope, cutting the seats, pulling or pushing the dash in a few different ways. Even go so far as using hand tools to get the job done.

I would make sure the car's structure is compromised in some way, like take a backhoe bucket to it and smash it up a little bit - make it look like they are actually going to be working with something closer to real life than just an old car.

The little tricks of the trades make things interesting if you ask me.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

As was stated, you can do a lot of different drills/scenarios on a single car but you have to do it before you cut.. Have several scenarios and without destroying the car have each crew stabilize and then verbally go over their thought process for the cutting stages.. basically a couple steps above a white-board discussion.

We did a drill where the guys paired up and each group had to stabilize the car. The key was that as equipment was used it was taken OOS so the next group had to come up with a different plan. First group picked the more obvious.. step chocks, Z-mags, then high-lift jacks..etc. I think by the last group they were trying to stabilize using 18 toothpicks, used bubblegum and a 2" hose line. The goal was to get them thinking and it seemed to work pretty well.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information