Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Education Question

Ill be 18 in April and graduating HS in May. I plan on being a career firefighter. I already have my FF-I and EMT-B. I don't know if I should go to EKU and get my bachelors in Fire Protection Administration first or just go straight into the fire service. What are the pros and cons of each? Thank you!

Get your degree.

You will never go wrong with higher education.

Most fire departments will require some sort of higher education (more than a HS diploma) regardless of what it is. This is usually a requirement for any sort of promotion as well.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Get your degreee and while doing that look for a place you can start being a resident. They get jobs easier than aplying for FT from a Vol standpoint.
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Banned

Do both. You can get your degree and work in the fire service at the same time. There is something to be said for getting the education and practical experience at the same time. It also gives the opportunity to take real world stuff back to the classroom and to bring some of the classroom stuff out into the real world.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Do both. You can get your degree and work in the fire service at the same time. There is something to be said for getting the education and practical experience at the same time. It also gives the opportunity to take real world stuff back to the classroom and to bring some of the classroom stuff out into the real world.
    I absolutely agree some things you need to learn in a classroom. And somethings you will only learn with hands on experience. That can be said for any line of work.

Forum Member

The following applies to my area of the Midwest. It may not be what the norm is for other areas of the country, so take it for what it's worth.

Start taking tests to get onto a job somewhere first. In doing so you will discover through the application process etc how much emphasis that area puts on education being needed for hiring. Why spend 4 years in school if the area you plan on being in doesn't really care whether you have it or not? Conversely, if the area you want to go to places high value on education before hiring, then you need to get started on your degree right away.

In my area, having a degree means just that...you have a degree. It does not directly help get you hired. Some local municipalities give a college degree bonus points on the civil service test. My city only gives for military, Ohio EMS certification (any level), and Ohio FFII training. It just depends on the municipality.

Whether or not you get a degree first is up to you, where you anticipate living/working, and the general standards for that area. However, whatever route you end up going....NEVER STOP LEARNING. If it's a college degree fine, whether it's online training great, if it's just classes taken through local departments thats cool. Whatever the training medium, never stop learning.

Take care

I'm at EKU now getting my Fire Science Degree, and as others have siad do both. There's many opportunities to be on volunteer departments and we have a great co-op program set up with Richmond Fire. If you have questions or want more info PM me.

Thread Information