Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default NV Div of Forestry - Pack Test, Interview

Got invited to do a pack test with the Nevada Division of Forestry in April. Provided I pass that, I will be scheduled for an interview. Sounds like they plan to give the go/no-go by the end of April.

Anyone else apply for the seasonal position out there? CALFFBOU posted it about a month ago (thanks again, CALFFBOU).

Anyone here have any experience with this agency? Thanks in advance.

i applied for NDF for the las vegas area i have yet to get a call yet.

Question

What kind of information are you looking for? What area did you apply for? And what's your experience and background?
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Crwb4104 View Post
    What kind of information are you looking for? What area did you apply for? And what's your experience and background?
    Applied for Reno-Sparks and Carson City areas. Really just looking for basic info on typical shifts and schedule, pre and post-interview station visits, typical things to point-out in the interview, what their ideal candidate is going to have... things of that nature, as well as anything else that might be "good to know".

As for me - this is my first year applying for a seasonal wildland position, but I am currently a reserve firefighter in the SF Bay Area and also a paramedic.

Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to provide.

Post hope this helps.

Well, let me first say, its been a few years since I was involved with that program- and things seem to change without notice. Overall, the program has four stations (Five if they put a truck at the Western Region Headquarters in Washoe Valley - a.k.a. Eastlake due to being located on Eastlake blvd.), in Lockwood, the Virginia City Highlands, the Mark Twain area (there is talk of putting a patrol truck there), and Carson City. The apparatus include Type 3 brush engines (mid 1990's internationals model 14's) a couple water tenders (old 6 by's and a newer international) and newer patrol trucks not sure on the typing, they didn't have them when I was a seasonal.

The pack test is a piece of cake, as long as your prepared for it. The interview was set up much like a municiple department interview. Panel interview, with the battalion chief, captains, and various other's. A good knowledge of your 10's and 18's wouldn't hurt, just in case you get a scenario question. Other than that, I can't really say what questions they ask now are, but being prepared for questions regarding working with others, moral integrity, decision making, fireline leadership, etc., etc.

What are your red card qualifications? and what wildland fire experience or training have you received as a reserve? All of that would be good to bring up and also that your a medic, won't hurt. The program is BLS only, but the skills are always great to have.

The daily routine is rig/ apparatus checks, training/P.T. , fuels reduction projects and resource conservation work. Also public awareness and fire prevention work is common. Those include school presentations, and 20 ft. clearance inspections around fire prone properties.

Anything else that I may have missed?
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Thanks a ton, Crwb4104. Not too worried about the pack test as I train frequently with a weight vest, but am going to bump up the intensity over the next month since the test will be at a higher elevation than I am used to.

Don't have my red card yet, but have done a lot of wildland drilling with the unit (I think the captains and chiefs are working on getting us our red cards for that).

How about scheduling? Is it similar to Cal Fire with three-on, four-off (or four-on, three-off - not quite sure what it is)? Of course, assuming you're not out on a strike team or anything.

Thanks again.

It will either be four ten hour shifts or five eight hour shifts. Day hours only, due to money contraints, lighting plan holdover is at a minimum.
    -Tradition-

Thread Information