Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice needed

MembersZone Subscriber

Default advice needed

I am assisting a rural fire department with their grant and I need some advice. They have a budget of $64k annually and run 150-200 fire/ems calls a year. They are in dire need of turnouts (15-20 years old) and SCBA (about the same age as turnouts). However to fund the 30 sets of turnouts and 12 SCBA they would be looking at requesting around $120k, almost twice their annual budget. I am considering advising them to do one project this year and one project next year to maximize cost/benefit. Any thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't see any reason why you couldn't include the two together in order to update all PPE. We did just that a couple of years ago and were awarded for 15 sets of gear, 12 SCBA, and 2 RIT packs. Depending on their population and square mileage, they sound similar to us, but at that time we only had a budget of $20K.

If you can show the need (and it sounds like you can), you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to drop me an email or PM, I can forward you a copy of our narrative so you can see how I addressed asking for both.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you could go for both but you would have a better shot at picking one or the other. I received both in separate grants. SCBA in 05 and TOG this year. My Dept. budget is a little higher but we asked for similar quantities.

If you want a copy of my Narratives, let me know and I can get copies to you.

I have to fight every year with my guys because they want to try and fill the shopping cart every year. They seem to think that if you have your hand out you can get whatever you want. This year they want 2 TIC's to replace our 1 that is over 10 years old.

Forum Member

With the call volume what it is, I also would put in for both. Their share of the costs would be only $6000. Two subsales should cover that.

Kelly

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the advice. narratives are always appreciated. djc64@juno.com

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    With the call volume what it is, I also would put in for both. Their share of the costs would be only $6000. Two subsales should cover that.

Kelly
    Kelly I want to know where you are holding sub sales and how many subs are you selling in those two sub sales to make $6000. Because I know we dont make that much it two sub sales

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Split them. 85% of those calls are probably EMS meaning compared to someone handling that many fire calls they're way behind the scoring curve asking for both. Do their population cost-benefit and if it's more than $20/resident then definitely split. Anyone that hit both is in the great minority, 90+% of the projects are single item requests. Keep it simple and hit one after the other. If you go gear and don't get it, there was never a chance at both, and by definition gear by itself scores higher than gear and packs since packs are a lower relative priority.

Splitting them is probably the best way to guarantee giving your grant every possibility of being funded. I do know of a department this year that ran significantly less and did 17 sets of PPE and 15 SCBA and a TIC plus compressor and was funded, so it can be done. Just makes you that much more nervous.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by daniels627 View Post
    Kelly I want to know where you are holding sub sales and how many subs are you selling in those two sub sales to make $6000. Because I know we dont make that much it two sub sales
    We are holding them out of our station. We usually sell between 1000 and 1500 22" subs for $7 each. Profit is around $3 each. Our auxilliary has taken the bull by the horns on making them during two weekdays. We pick up those two evenings, and they know the number they need to make during the day. Our auxilliary has formed a group of retired individuals in our community just looking for something to do. They really enjoy themselves making them.

Have you had a chance to look over the narrative Sean. Talk at ya soon.

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    We are holding them out of our station. We usually sell between 1000 and 1500 22" subs for $7 each. Profit is around $3 each. Our auxilliary has taken the bull by the horns on making them during two weekdays. We pick up those two evenings, and they know the number they need to make during the day. Our auxilliary has formed a group of retired individuals in our community just looking for something to do. They really enjoy themselves making them.

Have you had a chance to look over the narrative Sean. Talk at ya soon.

Kelly
    Boy Kelly I wish we could do that good on sub sales and also have a community support group that would be able to make that many. If we did sell that many we would need more help than we have to do that many. But boy we would be in good shape if sub sales profited that much. I think a weekday sale would be good you could get them in to the big business but we have most people working during the day and would have the issue of getting them made and then delivered.

I did get the narrative and I am not sure who can put more red in a narrative you or Kurt. I had sent the narrative to Kurt and got it back and sent the cleaned up version with some changes made and then sent it Brad and he sent it to you and it came back to me again from Brad I think with almost as much red as Kurt. Thanks for you help and your input the last paragragh I know he had note that it need some work and I sent it to Brad and told him to look at it and see what he thought and if he did not know what else to do there see if you had any Ideas. So thanks for you help.

Forum Member

Our yearly budget is $32,000
    population 500
    around 200 fire/ems calls a year

We were awarded 13 sets of new turnout gear, 8 SCBA packs, new TIC, assorted nozzles and other equipment. I think the total award was around $90,000. Almost 3x our annual budget. So I guess it really just depends on how you justify the need in the grant. I'm still new at grants. Just throwing it out there that it is possible. We also were awarded a pumper/tanker in 2005 and a pumper in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by ross608 View Post
    Our yearly budget is $32,000
    population 500
    around 200 fire/ems calls a year

We were awarded 13 sets of new turnout gear, 8 SCBA packs, new TIC, assorted nozzles and other equipment. I think the total award was around $90,000. Almost 3x our annual budget. So I guess it really just depends on how you justify the need in the grant. I'm still new at grants. Just throwing it out there that it is possible. We also were awarded a pumper/tanker in 2005 and a pumper in 2002.
    You have a very high success rate based on your numbers. Whatever your dept is doing seems to be working very well. I'd wager you are way ahead of the curve on awards.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are close to our totals, tried one year for both got rejected, split the next 2 years got awarded. We did 12 SCBA first and then 30 complete sets 2nd year.

Forum Member

I was mistaken about the 2002 pumper grant, it wasn't AFG, it was funded through a CDBG program. Through AFG we were awarded $125,000 in 2004 for a tanker, and $87,000 in 2007 for loose equipment. I guess it still answers your original question though, we asked for a bunch of equipment in 2007, what some have called the "shopping cart" approach and we were awarded.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Shopping cards are doable, I end up doing a few each year that are funded. After all I'm just the painter, the department decides the project after I advise them on things. But they are the exception to the rule, since by definition the scores go down the more different projects you go after within a single app.

Thread Information