Thread: best axe?

Forum Member

Default best axe?

I am thinking about buying my own axe to use on duty. Any opinions on brands , weights or lengths? Must be a pick head.

Forum Member

You want to do what?

Are you serious?

Do you work for a career department?

Do they have tools, such as axes on the apparatus?

Are they not available for members to use?

If you lose it or for some reason someone would take it, you are out the cost of it.

If the handle brakes, then you have to fix it or buy a new one, otherwise if itís the departments axe, they take care it repairing or the replacement.

If you still want to buy on, get in touch with a fire equipment dealer. Ten pound head!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Answer to questions:

Thinking about buying an axe.

Yes i am

Yes I do.

Yes they do.

Yes they are.

I take pride in keeping up with and take care of my equipment. Yes, I would have to replace it. that's just part of it, I guess.

Correct. I'm leaning towards a fiberglass handle.

Thanks for your opinion on the Ten pound head.

Forum Member

Why a pickhead? The only thing they are good for is chroming and mounting on plaques to give to guys for their retirements.

I prefer a straight, fiberglass handle flathead.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I find the flat head more useful. Obviously the flat head side can be used much in the same manner as a sledge hammer. Also striking some roof sheathing with the flat head side has proven more effective than the blade side. I've experienced it personally in the case of OSB. Also, flat heads typically come in both 6 and 8 lb. weights. Get the 8 lb. model.

Forum Member

thanks. I just saw the youtube video of the guy using the "wrong" side of the axe to cut the roof. neat. I'll have to put more thought into it. I've just always grabbed the pick when coming off the app. so it's what I'm use to.

Forum Member

Two things and I am not trying to be a smart*****.

1. The agree with the other guys. The flat head axe is by far better axe.

2. NEVER buy your own tools. That is your department responsibility. It sets a bad precedence. Pretty soon the city will say, "They buy their own tools, they should buy their own hose." If you are in a union, you might want to make sure this a good idea. You could become an outcast quick.

Forum Member

Many have their own personal axes so that they can choose what length handle, especially for the vertically challenged. The pickhead/flathead debate is always fun. I do a lot with my pick head axe that I would have not been capable of doing with a flat. I wouldn't go with a 10lb head either. The 6lb pick head I have is great. Best axes out are made here at www.firefighteraxe.com which are now sold at www.thefirestore.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post

2. NEVER buy your own tools. That is your department responsibility. It sets a bad precedence. Pretty soon the city will say, "They buy their own tools, they should buy their own hose." If you are in a union, you might want to make sure this a good idea. You could become an outcast quick.
    This is a good argument however.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oxfordethan View Post
    Answer to questions:

Thinking about buying an axe.

Yes i am

Yes I do.

Yes they do.

Yes they are.

I take pride in keeping up with and take care of my equipment. Yes, I would have to replace it. that's just part of it, I guess.

Correct. I'm leaning towards a fiberglass handle.

Thanks for your opinion on the Ten pound head.
    If you take pride in keeping up with and taking care of your equipment, maintain your dept. issued tools.

Pick heads have a lot of uses. Besides for things like opening the roof with the flat side, the pick head can do anything a flat head can do.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Nothing wrong with wanting your own axe. Same thing happens in many professions. You want a tool suited to you, maintained by you, used by no one else so you know it's history and integrity. Hence, you know it's reliability.

For the minor cost of an axe, if it gives you piece of mind and makes you happy then do it. If someone else doesn't want to buy an axe for themselves then fine. They don't have to. End of story. Many of us put our own money into equipment. Most of the stuff listed in the numerous " What's in your bunker gear pockets " threads is personal stuff purchased by the firefighter.

Now if you start asking about buying your own turnout gear, I may have to chime in with the " Doesn't your dept issue you this " gang.

Forum Member

For a roof, the flat, but the pickhead with little effort has a neat trick with cracking wood siding.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Forum Member

The best axe!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    So you are saying that a pick head can drive a halligan better than a flat head?? I want to see this!

it can do it just as well as a flat head.

Unless the person wants the back of a flat head axe for a particular application, like busting through OSB, I can't think of a thing you can do with the flat head that the pick head couldn't do also.

Forum Member

The best axe?

I am partial to Pre-CBS Fender Jazz basses.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The best axe?

I am partial to Pre-CBS Fender Jazz basses.
    I really can't imagine that beats my Rickenbacker.

To answer the question, if you're looking for that good keepsake axe, how could you go wrong with a pulaski? Sure - not exactly the traditional fire axe, but what better tribute to west coast firefighting?

Thread Information