Forum Member

Default Fire District / Protection District question...

Hi Guys-

While starting to compile my data for this year's grant attempt for a replacement tanker, I came up with a question that I need help with... Last year, I used the population and size demographics of my Fire District (1,250 people in 10 square miles) I didn't include the demographics for my Fire Protection District (a seperate section of adjoining Town that pays us to cover the area) I'm estimating an additional 300 - 350 residents in probabily an additional 10 square miles (same makeup as my Fire District: woodlands, farms, residential with very little business base) I realize I can't include automatic / mutual aid districts in the demo figures, but I've been applying (3 succesful equipment, no vehicle) since 2000 without including this area that we cover because it is in a different town.

Have I been cutting myself short all these years regarding this section covered? Can I / should I include this in my demographics (I'd explain it in the narrative if the app ever made it past the computer) 1550 - 1600 residents brings me in a much better C/B figure, possibly to the point that I might make it past the computer... Wish I thought of that a couple years ago... Any thoughts / suggestions from the folks with a similar arrangement? Thanks, Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

Based on your info, IMHO you should have been including the other area since it's part of your first due response area even though a different town.

From the application:

Primary/First Due Response Area is a geographical area proximate to a fire or rescue facility and normally served by the personnel and apparatus from that facility in the event of a fire or other emergency and does not include daily or seasonal population surges.

Population shall be based upon the most recent official census and shall include only those individuals who permanently reside within the jurisdiction served.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, what onebugle said. 'Cept he gave you the PG to go with it.

earl

Forum Member

Thanks. That's what I figured (after the fact) today. Never dawned on me. I guess being pulled in so many different directions has taken it's toll! At least I've gotten my FD 24 sets of gear, 12 SCBA, generator, exhaust extraction and fire alarm since 2002... Now this year it's attempt for a vehicle (again!) and replacing 15+ year old LDH and 25+ year old attack & back up lines!

I'm thankful for all the help given to me along the way, I wouldn't have succeeded once without the help: THANKS! Ben

(so many projects, so little money and time...)

Thread Information