Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1 man engine...is anyone else doing this?

who needs staffing or gear anyway? budget cuts much?

(sarcasm)

MembersZone Subscriber

this is the department where i work. this happened 15 years ago, and unfortunately, it could happen again tomorrow.

At first I thought this was going to be in a RURAL area. I looked it up on Google. this is in one of the most heavily populated areas in the UNITED STATES. Right outside Chicago....Who knows, they could have been on a medical call NEARBY and they sent the engine quickly to meet up with other units... Whatever..

I sure as hell hope no one else does this. There is so much wrong with this video, you can't even begin to list them all. But to make it short and sweet...NO!! Makes no sense to me.

Taking a peice of apparatus by yourself to a scene for M/A is one thing, but trying to all the jobs that need to be done on a fireground by yourself...not possible as this video showed.
    Last edited by tnff320; 02-27-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Quote Originally Posted by LtLTSmash View Post
    this is the department where i work. this happened 15 years ago, and unfortunately, it could happen again tomorrow.
    What is your normal staffing? Just curious. Not bashing something that is out of your control. Maybe the public will see this and realize that they need to support the FD. Turn it into a good thing, perhaps.

MembersZone Subscriber

are you ready for this?... we have a town of about 25,000 people,we do border one of the biggest fire departments in the country, run 10 calls a day, have 2 structure (not counting cars and dumpsters) fires a month. and our staffing is . . .FOUR. when a call comes in, we send a 2-man engine,1-man engine, and a 1 man ambulance ("in case one of us gets hurt"). so if the 2 man engine gets caught by a train, what you see in the video is what you get.

are you ready for this?... we have a town of about 25,000 people,we do border one of the biggest fire departments in the country, run 10 calls a day, have 2 structure (not counting cars and dumpsters) fires a month. and our staffing is . . .FOUR. when a call comes in, we send a 2-man engine,1-man engine, and a 1 man ambulance ("in case one of us gets hurt"). so if the 2 man engine gets caught by a train, what you see in the video is what you get.
    Wow, that is crazy.

Just wow

Wow is right.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

It does look like it is an old video, date on it was 4/3/93 if that was correct.

Sounds like you guys are doing what you can with what you got. Unfortunately, you actually have it better than some other places that only run one man trucks. Do you have any volunteer/paid on call guys that can be paged in for back up? Do you rely on mutual aid a lot then? How many total in your department??

Maybe you can make a campaign push for more manpower if you get the public educated to things like this video. I'm sure you will get some support from the public once they know this is going on.

In the meantime....just stay safe man, I feel your pain.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

I live in a town of 17,000 people. At night there are 4 Firefighters/Paramedics onshift (split between 2 different stations). There have been times where both Ambulances are out on calls (one out of town) and there is no one in the hall. Budget cuts.
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Forum Member

I agree with the lady at the end of the video.

Forum Member

Seems like your department needs to add a volunteer component.

At night, we technically run a 1-man engine company, as only 1 paid firefighter is on duty. However, we average 3-5 volunteers doing station ride-outs nightly at our Central Station, which gives us 4-6 on the rigs there (engine, heavy rescue, light rescue, brush truck) plus volunteers going POV or heading to the other stations to pick up engines or tankers.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-27-2009 at 07:46 AM.

I think the lady at the end of the video says it all!!! LOL!! Seriously, that's really dangerous. One of the first things we were taught in academy is 2 in, 2 out. Hard to follow that rule when it's only 1 on an engine. Sheez.

MembersZone Subscriber

it amazes me at how perfect that woman's comment is at the end of the video.
    we have 21 full-time firefighters. but on the BEST day, we'll only have 6 on shift. the reason we don't have POCs come in, and i'll probably be crucified for this, is because the union. too much fear of "they're going to take our jobs" instead of fear that something terrible is going to happen to one of us.

We do the "John Wayne" engine company thing here as well. We are a combo department that has 1 guy on tour. We do three tours of 8 hours for 24 hr. coverage. The POC guys and off-duty personnel supplement the response. IT SUCKS!!!! I have sent statistical breakdowns to about everyone I can think of showing the need for more people but...budget cuts and all, poor economy, basically SSDD. It IS INSANE and makes you want to puke coat hangers, but it is also a job and that is perhaps he key thing by today's standards.

We get by, that is about it. We have experienced a 40% increase in run volume over four years and have actually seen a decrease in number of responses. Granted this is a rural area but I see no difference than that of any other place. Perhaps I am missing something?

I feel your pain OP, believe me, I feel, experience, and live your pain everyday. We average about 11 folks on a house fire. With MA from the Vol. dept. next to us that number goes to about 16 or so CERTIFIED FFs.

I grew up vollie, but that average 10 minute response time is a real killer.

Good luck, I know we'll need it!
    "The one man engine company...tough as hell cause we have to be."

"What we have here is a Charlie Foxtrot of the Mongolian persuasion."

Hey, stay safe over there. Keep fighting for what you need.

1 man engine. Lakewood NJ. Been doing it for years, will continue to do so.

If he thinks the call sounds like he will need help, he asks to have the volunteer companies dispatched.

"He" has made many fire attacks, both residential and commercial....on his own.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    1 man engine. Lakewood NJ. Been doing it for years, will continue to do so.

If he thinks the call sounds like he will need help, he asks to have the volunteer companies dispatched.

"He" has made many fire attacks, both residential and commercial....on his own.
    That is crazy. But you do what you have to do. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    I think the lady at the end of the video says it all!!! LOL!! Seriously, that's really dangerous. One of the first things we were taught in academy is 2 in, 2 out. Hard to follow that rule when it's only 1 on an engine. Sheez.
    If you are just now realizing things in the real world are not like the academy you have a long road ahead.

1 man engine companies were still in service here until last year when they went to 2 men. On a first in fire, the 1 man truck would do just as this one did, get dressed, pull a line and do what you can until backup arrives.

Some of you have gotten spoiled into living in a perfect world where fire trucks have 4 men all the time. It just isnt that way everywhere in the country. Is it right? No. Is it better than nothing? You bet.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information