Forum Member

Default Minuteman off load

Being unfamiliar with the minuteman load, how do you setup the 2.5 crosslay if you want to have the ability for the load to be pulled from either side of the apparatus? It seems which ever side you place the nozzle on to control the nozzle is the way the load has to be pulled. Can this be correctly setup to pull either side and easily control the nozzle? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

The nozzle being on the bottom makes using a crosslay bed a limiting factor for the Minuteman Load. You usually have to decide that the line will come off one side, as the nozzle won;t easily pull across the bed without getting stuck.

If you flat load it with hand loops near the bottom of the stacks you can turn it into a minuteman by flipping each stack over once its about halfway out of the bed.

Forum Member

Our nozzles dont stay on the bottom with the minuteman load. We leave enough slack to loop them back over the whole stack. The side opposite the nozzle has a ear to pull. Line is easily pulled and controlled from either side of the truck.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Permanently Removed

This is why I dont like the MM load, its only one directional.

You can load your cross lay "flat" with the nozzle on top and centered. This allows the line to be pulled from either side of the enigne.

If you want a shoulder load, pull a bulk on that line out with the nozzle on top and flip the load upside down so that the nozzle is now on the bottom and acting like a minute man load.

It might sound odd, but works perfect. Hit me back if you need some help with it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    This is why I dont like the MM load, its only one directional.
    No, it's not. If you know how to load it, it can very easily be pulled and controlled from either side. Now I feel like I am repeating myself. Oh wait, that's becuase I am.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

In our case, our 2.5 cross lay is really located very high above the pump panel. It would be very hard to do anything other than simply pull it out and catch most of it on a shoulder. It's hard to imagine doing that and then flipping the whole load of 150 feet over by yourself without a rodeo of sorts happening.
    As far as controlling the nozzle left on top so it's accessable from either side, not in this case. Its too tall a crosslay, you cannot get up that high to grab anything not right at an end.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    No, it's not. If you know how to load it, it can very easily be pulled and controlled from either side. Now I feel like I am repeating myself. Oh wait, that's becuase I am.

For me, I have seen it, done it and the flat load works better and cleaner. (for me)

Forum Member

I have never seen it, but does anyone use the triple layer for thier 2.5" crosslay?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    For me, I have seen it, done it and the flat load works better and cleaner. (for me)
    That's different then. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. But it CAN be done. It isn't impossible.

For ME, the triple layer works best. Once again, a load that gets a bad rap from people who don't know how to correctly load and pull it. When either of the two are done improperly, it is a mess. When they are done correctly, it deploys beautifuly.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Permanently Removed

I have done the Triple Fold, Minute Man and Flat with nozzle on the top. We found the flat with nozzle on the top works best.

For the OP- You can do a MM, but its tough to pull from both side with the nozzle positioned on just one of them. I have seen it done, but then you get the nozzle on your back.

Try everything. Again, I like the flat with the nozzle on the top.

Forum Member

We've used both the triple fold and the minute man. We are currently using a variation of the minute man.
    When racking the hose make the loop on the 3rd and the 8th run for 200' lays. When you make the loops leave enough to flip back over the load. When you are finished make a loop at the top and put it at one side of the engine and the nozzle at the other side.(we use driver side for rear and passenger side for front) This load will come off both sides and flake out nicely.
    IAFF

For ME, the triple layer works best. Once again, a load that gets a bad rap from people who don't know how to correctly load and pull it. When either of the two are done improperly, it is a mess. When they are done correctly, it deploys beautifuly.

I agree. The triple fold is one of the easier loads to deploy if it packed and deployed correctly. While it does take a little bit longer in reloading, the time saved in deploying in tight areas (a freeway shouder for example) outweighs it in my opinion.

Forum Member

the DCFD uses a minuteman load that will pull from either direction on the crosslays. SOP says that the nozzle goes towards the center divider all the time, so when you pack it, the nozzle can be on either side as long as it's towards the center, and the drag load will have a loop or 2 on the opposite side of the nozzle (drag load). Normally, you'd pull the shoulder load (nozzle side) and then pull the drag load... so for the opposite side you'd pull the drag load first (because the nozzle would get jammed up if you pulled the shoulder load first) and then pull the shoulder load.

also the 2.5" will work fine a triple load. The triple load is good in suburban environments, where you have some room to pull the entire load before you reach the front door, otherwise, the minuteman is probably a better option.

MembersZone Subscriber

YES.

We use all triple lays, 200ft. long on all our pre-connected hoses. We us 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" inch line. It works beautifully if you pull the nozzle AND the loop, otherwise it comes off the truck in a big knot at the base of the truck. Yes, they are directional but we set up our trucks with two going to each side.

Put your 2 1/2" line off the back, then you don't have to worry which way it goes or how you load it. That's what we do and it works great!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have never seen it, but does anyone use the triple layer for thier 2.5" crosslay?
    We do our 1 3/4" and 2 1/2" with triple layer on our cross lays. We still pull it from either side, just if the nozzle is on the other side you have to pull the top layer to you and it will come out fine.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    YES.

Put your 2 1/2" line off the back, then you don't have to worry which way it goes or how you load it. That's what we do and it works great!
    Wish it were that easy, as I said our single 2.5 crosslay is way high above the pump panel. Most of our stuff is residential, so we wanted to keep it at 150 feet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireharley View Post
    Wish it were that easy, as I said our single 2.5 crosslay is way high above the pump panel. Most of our stuff is residential, so we wanted to keep it at 150 feet.
    How is your hosebed configured? Maybe you need to reconfigure it?

Do you have any outlets to the rear so you can pre-connect it to the rear?
    If not, you can still lay the line to the rear and then connect it to whatever side you need.

As a side note:
    We have a lot of apartment buildings that are too tight to get into the parking lot so we made our lines 200 ft long for the extra reach. We also made what we call the "apartment lay" which is 2 1/2" hose flat layed with a gated wye on the end. The idea would be to pull off what you need to get the wye to the front door, then take the pre-connected attack lines off and hook them to the wye. That way you have 200ft to work with from the door instead from the truck. Again, works well for us.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information