Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default station tone alert system identification

I am trying to find out who makes the tone alert system for my dept. somehow, not even dispatch knows which is hard for me to understand, but nonetheless...
    at any rate, I always thought it was locution, but now I think it may not be. it sounds something like this:
    BEEEEEEEEEEEEP (concatenated computer voice) Engine, thirty-six, respond to, structure fire, located in box, fourteen, twenty-nine
    the commas are noticeable pauses during the dispatch. only the stations get this computer voice, it is a live dispatcher who voices it over the radio system. it is ip-based. the cad system is VisionCAD, but judging from the lack of info on their website, I don't think they make the actual station alert system. could be wrong though. thanks in advance.

I didn't quite get that the first time. How does it sound again?
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I didn't quite get that the first time. How does it sound again?
    BEEEEEEEEEEEEP (concatenated computer voice) Engine, thirty-six, respond to, structure fire, located in box, fourteen, twenty-nine

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    I am trying to find out who makes the tone alert system for my dept. somehow, not even dispatch knows which is hard for me to understand.
    Your bio says Lakeland FL, so here you go: http://www.lakelandgov.net/lpd/suppo...nications.html Lt. Joe Henson is the Officer in Charge of the Communications.

Forum Member

thanks but I don't work there. if anyone knows what product that is, I'd appreciate it, otherwise, thanks for looking.

Forum Member

I don't get the point of having the computer say who's going. Shouldn't you be hearing it over firehouse radio?

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I don't get the point of having the computer say who's going. Shouldn't you be hearing it over firehouse radio?
    huh? ?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Its a computer voice that comes over the firehouse radio instead of the "human" dispatch voice. I know Houston uses something like it too.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    huh? ?

why spend the money to have a computerized voice come over the fire house's speaker, if the dispatcher is going to say the exact same thing anyways. You should be hearing the dispatcher over the radio anyways right? Or did they do away with having a radio in the firehouse?

forget it...
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 02-28-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Forum Member

whats so odd about that question?

You have a dispatcher talking over the air, but instead of having radio traffic go over the firehouse radio you're going to drop more money to have a computer generated voice say the same thing?

whats so odd about that question?

You have a dispatcher talking over the air, but instead of having radio traffic go over the firehouse radio you're going to drop more money to have a computer generated voice say the same thing?

1. our firehouses arent wired to have radios playing all over the place. Would make no sense, financially or otherwise to have to wire all over. In most houses, the only place to monitor the radio is the housewatch...and he turns the companies out.

2. our runs are announced over the air roughly 60 seconds after we are dispatched. The tones go off, and a computer voice (on the same speakers as the tones, no added expense) announce if its engine or ladder. Housewatchman reads the ticket that gets automatically printed, acknowledges our run on the computer, and turns the company(s) out.

3. many of our runs (single engine or single truck responses) do not get announced over the air. Attempting to announce every single engine and truck response, along with chiefs, special units, relocations, etc, even during slower times, is simply not feasible nor is it smart use of radio airtime.

Im not sure where this big added expense is for having a computer voice comes from.

I didnt consider the question odd...the way it was written just seemed alittle odd....certain places do it differently, Im not sure why you would be surprised or even care enough.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 02-28-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Forum Member

sorry you thought I was taking a shot at your beloved dispatch system.

I doubt the computer system to turn out the companies is cheap. If it's playing over a PA system for everyone to hear, there's no added expense to have the radio piped over the system.

I didnt consider the question odd...the way it was written just seemed alittle odd....certain places do it differently, Im not sure why you would be surprised or even care enough.
    just a question about how other people operate, seems to be the basis of these forums. If you don't have a curiosity in how others operate why are you even here?

I doubt the computer system to turn out the companies is cheap. If it's playing over a PA system for everyone to hear, there's no added expense to have the radio piped over the system.

just a question about how other people operate, seems to be the basis of these forums. If you don't have a curiosity in how others operate why are you even here?

Curiosity is one thing, your first post seemed to imply that your way was the correct way. Sorry if I misinterpreted it. BTW, not my dispatch system, dont care. if they want to turn us out using strings and dixie cups i couldnt give a f*ck.

How do you sleep with constant radio traffic playing over the pa? I like being alerted only when I have a run.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    How do you sleep with constant radio traffic playing over the pa? I like being alerted only when I have a run.

The speaker in the bunk room has an alert system, so it stays off until we catch a run. In the watch room there are controls for all the speakers, so if we ever went back to a watch we could turn all the others ones off.

Guess I've kind of gotten used to it too, so unless something of interest goes out over the air, I don't really notice it.

I do like the dixie cup idea. Some of our dispatchers already sound like they are talking through a dixie cup haha
    Last edited by nameless; 03-01-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    I am trying to find out who makes the tone alert system for my dept. somehow, not even dispatch knows which is hard for me to understand, but nonetheless...
    at any rate, I always thought it was locution, but now I think it may not be. it sounds something like this:

Your system sounds like the Locution system.

The whole point is for the Dispatcher to save time and enter all of the important information into a matrix, pressing send and the call goes out on its own. All of the wording is preprogramed into the recieving station's computer for an automated verbal station dispatch. The system usually uses a laser printer as well for a hard copy.

This save time and is part of the Incident Reporting System software.

Thread Information