Forum Member

Default employment as a dispatcher

im 18 looking for a job in the emergency services... i wanna be a firefighter but i am a sir. in high school and still have two years of collage. i was wondering if you had to take any classes to be a dispatcher? and any advice on what to do to be come a dispatcher?
    thanks buxton71E1

Forum Member

Smile Dispatcher

The classes we have to take are given either by our dispatch center or the center pays for us to attend.... We are EMD APCO and MULES I think in newton co they are EMD EFD and EPD as well as apco and MULEs
    Chris Cable
    Firefighter/EMT/Dispatcher

Forum Member

If you want to be a firefighter, then focus on becoming a fiefighter. Becoming a 911 Telecommunicator is alot of hard work and has the chance of not jiving with 2 years of school. Your school schedule would take a back seat to your dispatch work schedule. Not to mention, like firefighting, you'll be working holidays, weekends, etc... You're looking at 4-12 months of training depending on the agency you get hired at before you are allowed to even work on your own. 911 is a profession in and of itself, not a "foot in the door" to other jobs.

Be aware also, that many centers require a person to be 21 before they can apply. Also be aware that the industries turnover rate is up to 19%. That is crazy high turnover caused by stress among other things.

If you are still interested I highly suggest you request to do a sit-a-long in a 911 center on a busy shift and observe the work environment to make sure this is something you CAN and WANT to do.
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Forum Member

Good answer, as usual, Jim. Buxton71E1, if you are serious about becoming a Dispatcher, try this website-

http://www.apco911.org

Thread Information