MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Darwin Runner Up Wannabe?

Put Down The iPod! Your House is on Fire!

By JASON BRAFF

Updated 9:40 AM EST, Sat, Feb 28, 2009

Oh, iPod, how we love thee.

When the phone rings at your house, you usually donít expect the caller to tell you that your house is on fire.

But thatís exactly what happened to Pomfretís Andrew Riley on Thursday.

According to Pomfret fire officials, Riley was listening to his iPod in the lower level of his two and half-story home when he got a call from his alarm company.

Riley didnít smell smoke or hear any alarms when he was listening to his tunes, but soon after the phone call he ran up the stairs to realize his exercise room was on fire.

Pomfret firefighters rushed to the scene and put out the flames. Only the exercise room and a connecting office were damaged by the blaze. We assume his iPod made it out safely.

Look at: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/we...use-is-on-fire to review readers comments.

Forum Member

I can see this happening easily. When I listen to music with studio headphones, sometimes I can't hear my cell phone ringing 18" away.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ActionGoose View Post
    I can see this happening easily. When I listen to music with studio headphones, sometimes I can't hear my cell phone ringing 18" away.
    Dude, sometimes I can't hear my cell phone ring even when I'm NOT wearing headphones!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    Dude, sometimes I can't hear my cell phone ring even when I'm NOT wearing headphones!
    I'm assuming there wasn't a lot of hearing protection enforced when you came on Lou.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    I'm assuming there wasn't a lot of hearing protection enforced when you came on Lou.
    HUH? WHAD YA SAY?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Yeah.............

HUH? WHAD YA SAY?

I know the feeling.............

And, Where the heck is Pomfret??.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Here's a couple more candidates. And these guys go hand-in-hand with a French visitor who got caught somewhere in an avalanch near Revelstoke a few days ago and died. His brother is trying to sue the Rescue Teams for delayed response. He too, was skiing in an out of bounds area.

Out-of-bounds snowboarder rescued

By Joanne Hatherly, Times ColonistMarch 4, 2009

A 14-year-old Victoria snowboarder has two broken legs after being buried in an avalanche that he triggered in an out-of-bounds zone at Mount Washington.

Karen Bonell, spokeswoman for Mount Washington resort said the boy, whose name is being withheld, was snowboarding with at least two other friends of about the same age on Monday.

"They ducked some ropes and were heading down the back side of the mountain," Bonell said. "It's a sheer drop-off, so it's not an area where anyone goes. It's not skiable terrain at all."

The last scan on his lift pass showed he rode up the mountain at 11:30 a.m. on the Eagle chairlift.

One of the boy's boarding companions, Scott Sahlstrom, told a CHEK News reporter the boys were on their first run of the day. "We were shredding down 'ambulance run.' There was a cliff on the left side. I guess he just went over it," he said

Jeremy Fletcher, said his friend passed him, disappearing into the fog and snow. "We didn't see him for the rest of the day," Fletcher said.

Although rescue patrol indicated that the boy apparently went missing around lunchtime, his friends waited until 3:30 p.m. to alert resort staff.

Mount Washington sent eight ski patrollers who based the search on where the boy's friends last saw him. Snowfall and fading daylight created poor visibility. Bonell said the temperature was about -2 C.

Two hours later, at 5:30 p.m., searchers heard the boy call for help near a precipice and were only able to reach him by descending on ropes. Bonell could not say how deep the boy was buried.

Jessie Percival of the rescue patrol told CHEK News the boy realized he had gone too far, took his board off and was walking up the slope, inadvertently triggering a Class Two avalanche one metre deep and 25 metres wide. It pushed him toward a tree and prevented him from continuing on over a 25-metre cliff. "He was in a precarious perch in a very steep place," Bonell said.

When rescuers uncovered him, they found he was hypothermic and both his legs were broken. He was taken to the first aid building by 8:15 p.m. where paramedics and an ambulance were waiting. He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Comox, then air-lifted to hospital in Vancouver.

Bonell said the boy holds a season pass and lives in Victoria. Mount Washington resort will not automatically prohibit him from the resort next year, however, they plan to meet with the boy's parents who Bonell said were in Victoria at the time their son was at Mount Washington.

Yesterday, his friends were back snowboarding out of bounds again, according to Mount Washington staff.

jhatherly@tc.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

In both instances, the families (or individuals if they still live) should be held accountable for the expenses incured by the rescue teams. That might help to curtail some of these dumb@sses from going "outside".

Forum Member

Maybe you should get in on that lawsuit against federal Signal!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Maybe you should get in on that lawsuit against federal Signal!!!
    SHAZAM!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information