MembersZone Subscriber

Default Standard Issue For Firefighters

Above issuing the basic bunker gear and helmet does you department define other equipment as standard issue for firefighers. For instance, do all members get radio's issued? Do you issue a flashlight for both helmet and coat? Do you issue a small tool set with wire cutters, pliers etc. What about bailout bags?
    Additionally, does the issue differ from Truck vs Engine companies, that is to say do you invest in personal escape system for those on Truck companies, but not to those on engines?
    As a volunteer company we end up seeing a wide variety of add ons mostly purchased by the members, but we would like to define at least a basic issue to go with our bunker gear.

Thanks,
    Tom

Forum Member

Our standard issue is...
    • Globe Extreme turnouts, black w/ lime//silver/lime striping
    • Cairns 1010 helmet
    • Ranger or Servus rubber fire boots
    • Nomex hood
    • Firemaster leather gloves
    • personal bailout bag
    • Kohler Responder flashlight
    • motorola alphanumeric pager
    • disposable CPR shield

The FF can upgrade to a leather lid and boots if he/she wishes The City will pay for the standard, the firefighter makes up the difference via his/her clothing allowance.

Any personal tools for the pockets are the responsibilty for the FF to obtain.

We have a radio for every riding position in the apparatus.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-02-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Our standard issue is...
    1. Globe Extreme turnouts, blak w/ lime//silver/lime striping
    1. Cairns 1010 helmet
    1. Ranger rubber fire boots
    1. Nomex hood
    1. Firemaster leather gloves
    1. personal bailout bag
    1. Kohler Responder flashlight

The FF can upgrade to a leather lid and boots if he/she wishes The City will pay for the standard, the firefighter makes up the difference via his/her clothing allowance.

Same except for turnouts. We are issued black Morning Pride with same striping. Same policy on upgrades

Cogs

Forum Member

As a volunteer fire department we are issued 1 full set of structural gear, one pair of wildland coveralls,one gear bag, one right angle flashlight, one pager, and one rotating red light.(kind of done away with using the red light)
    Any other flashlights, tools, etc. we must purchase.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

Although the gear is pretty standard (Janesville) the hoods, boots and gloves seem to change with the whim of the officer doing the ordering. Sigh.

Forum Member

In actual practice, TOG and helmet are the only things issued to all firefighters here. A few years back, all of the FT personnel were issued a somewhat basic bailout bag that was obtained via donation. We've also been issued a PASS device, SCBA facepiece and radio over that past couple of years.

Unfortunately, none of this was also issued to our PT personnel and we're still "fighting" that battle. At least they have access to them while on shift (usually ).

Everything else (boots, gloves, hoods, flashlights, pocket tools, etc.) are the responsibility of the individual FF. Most of us have some sort of personal flashlight and/or pocket tools.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks for the input

First thanks for taking the time to respond. I found the feedback very interesting, including the fact that a disposable CPR face shield was issued, which would appear to be a very good investment, especially in this day and age.
    Is anyone moving from the nomex to the newer carbon fiber hoods? The data would appear to make the case for moving, but you always wonder how much is hype vs actual improvement in protection.
    If I could ask one more question. How and/or who is responsible for reviewing and evaluating the level of equipment and the selection of those items in your department? How often is this review done? Like the hoods, technology seems to move at a rapid pace and wonder what type of SOG should be in place in order to make sure on one hand we're keeping up, while on the other hand don't want to go overboard and jump on everything new coming down the pike before its of proven value.
    Obviously one of the problems in a volunteer department is the ability on the part of some members to afford some of the extras, which is why we'd like to make sure we have a common baseline.
    Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

We issue each firefighter the following and upgrade as time dictates.

1. Morning Pride (Tan)
    2. Ben II Helmet (Shield, or Borks)
    3. Leather Bunker Boots
    4. SCBA Mask
    5. Helmet Light
    6. Hand Light (Survivor Light)
    7. Hand Tools (Side cut pliers, window punch, two small spanners)
    8. 5' one inch webbing
    9. Extrication Gloves (Bloodbourne Pathogen Equivalant)
    10. Safety Glasses
    11. Pocket Mask with glove case
    12. Two nomex hoods

Each Air pack has the bail out bag

It is up to the individual to add other items to their personal inventory, we have a gear allowance, some guys will get the Biel tool, or other items.

We have "Pack kits" which forcible entry tools and other items can be carried, kinda like a "truckies belt" but intergrated with the air pack.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFTLoach View Post
    First thanks for taking the time to respond. I found the feedback very interesting, including the fact that a disposable CPR face shield was issued, which would appear to be a very good investment, especially in this day and age.
    Is anyone moving from the nomex to the newer carbon fiber hoods? The data would appear to make the case for moving, but you always wonder how much is hype vs actual improvement in protection.
    If I could ask one more question. How and/or who is responsible for reviewing and evaluating the level of equipment and the selection of those items in your department? How often is this review done? Like the hoods, technology seems to move at a rapid pace and wonder what type of SOG should be in place in order to make sure on one hand we're keeping up, while on the other hand don't want to go overboard and jump on everything new coming down the pike before its of proven value.
    Obviously one of the problems in a volunteer department is the ability on the part of some members to afford some of the extras, which is why we'd like to make sure we have a common baseline.
    Thanks again!
    Can't really say if it's truly "better", but I've been wearing carbon hoods for the past 6 years or so and have no complaints with it.

We really don't have anything "formal" regarding the selection process. I know the last helmet purchase was just the newest version of the helmet model that's been issued for awhile now.

The current TOG was the recommendation of our Safety Committee and was the product of a fair bit of research and discussion with some "technical experts" for additional guidance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Full-time and volunteers are issued Helmet, gear, gloves, hood, boots, gear bag, and facepeice. Full-time guys also get issued accountability devices, volunteers pick them up when they come in for shift. Radio for each riding seat, some with lapel mics most without (trying to change that).

Forum Member

I think you will find that mot departments only issue basic gear.

Here in Memphis we receive:

Turnout coat and pants
    Helmet
    Leather turnout boots
    gloves
    hood
    face piece and regulator

Radios are assigned to positions, not people. Apparatus have the large box type flashlights.

Anyting other personal equipment you want to carry is just that, personal.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=grimfire;1039857
    We have "Pack kits" which forcible entry tools and other items can be carried, kinda like a "truckies belt" but intergrated with the air pack.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me where you got the pack kits? I have a hard time getting people to grab tools when they come of the engine. I think this might help if they could slide them in a holster.

OP We get coat, pants, boots, helmet, hood, and radio. We can't afford pagers.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

We get issued a standard set of turnout gear. We can upgrade our boots to leather using part of our uniform account and/or at our expense (long story, I'll explain if you want). When you reach 10yrs of service you get "leathered", the dept buys you a leather helmet (82 more days!! but who's counting?) We're also issued a personal SCBA mask and reg (Scott), and safety glasses.

On occaision the dept buys us extra stuff. Honestly I think it's when they're trying to burn off the budget at the end of the year. We've gotten some flashlights, extrication gloves, tools, etc. Mainly we buy all of our extra stuff on our own. Special Operations personnel are issued some more specialized gear, especially if they're USAR guys that get sent out for hurricanes.

Each riding position has a radio and flashlight on the rig. Our Prevention and Training Bureau Captains have personal radios. Both combat and staff chief officers have their own radios as well.

It's pretty uncommon for career combat personnel that I've come across to be issued radios, but in my experience it's been somewhat common to issue radios to volunteers.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker416 View Post
    When you reach 10yrs of service you get "leathered", the dept buys you a leather helmet (82 more days!! but who's counting?).
    That's a neat idea....and congrats on ten years...almost.

Forum Member

My old vollie department issued the turnouts,two hoods,rubber steel toed boots,a helmet and gave you a pager to start with.We were about 50%/75% into re-equipping with MSA Firehawks when I left so we still had a plethora of BMRs which meant officers and senior folk had personal masks for the Firehawks.I wear glasses and had been waiting for a prescription adapter kit so I had to "suffer" with reduced vision while packed up.The radio came later as they came available.This also taught you not to get on the air to report every turn that you made en route to the station(actual case.NOT me)
    Anything you carried after that,you paid for out of your own pocket.Extra flashlights,wrenches,pliers,CPR gear,leather boots,et cetera,et cetera,et cetera.Since we got points checks to defray gas costs getting to the station,most guys and gals would use that for "toys".
    The usual tools of the trade(irons,hydrant wrenches and the like) were carried on the big red trucks anyway so why bother buying your own?
    HOWEVER,I visited Kentucky last Fall and the department's Fairy God-Trustees had delivered boxes and boxes of gear for everyone,including flashlights,helmet lights,new hoods and helmets,brand new turn outs to roll around in the overhaul debris pile to make them look used,new radios and pagers for all hands and so forth.

Forum Member

we get 2 full sets of turnout gear, face piece, and a bailout bag. Beyond that you are on your own.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are issued:
    1. Morning Pride TOG (tan with lime striping)
    2. Helmet (color depending on role/job)
    3. Gloves
    4. Ranger Bunker Boots
    5. Hood
    6. SCBA Face Piece
    7. Flashlight for Coat
    8. Bunker Bag
    9. Wildland Nomex (pants and shirt x 2)
    10. Wildland helmet, backpack, and fire shelter
    11. Pager (Minitor II-V depending on what they have at the time)
    12. Motoroa XTS 2500 Digital Radio

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

1) Turn-outs (used to be Bristol Boston Spec, I loved that stuff. Now we are switching to Quaker)
    2) Cairns 660C helmet
    3) Gloves
    4) P-84 Lenzing hood
    5) Scott AV-3000 face piece with voice amp
    6) TFT ResQWrench
    7) glove pouch and ems gloves and sanitizer handi wipe
    8) Goggles
    9) Leather boots
    10) Green LED flashing light (For fire fighter visibility)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I think you will find that mot departments only issue basic gear.

Here in Memphis we receive:

Turnout coat and pants
    Helmet
    Leather turnout boots
    gloves
    hood
    face piece and regulator

Radios are assigned to positions, not people. Apparatus have the large box type flashlights.

Anyting other personal equipment you want to carry is just that, personal.

Almost exactly what we issue. Just add a bail-out bag and subtract the regulator.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

All volunteer department here. Every member is issued a full set of turnout gear and helmet, pager, and portable radio. Over time we have also given every member a couple of department T-shirts, polo shirt, dress uniform shirt with brass and badges...new members eventually get issued these as well. Also a department vehicle plate, if they want one. We have just purchased and are about to issue every medical responder a medic bag with supplies to keep in their personal vehicle.

We have not issued personal flashlights, although someone did recently suggest it. I can support that, but I'd prefer to make that an incentive type of thing, like if you obtain a certain certification or make a certain number of drills for the year. Otherwise you can buy your own.

We do not issue bailout bags, because we don't have any buildings tall enough to need to bail out of
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information