Forum Member

Default Department in need of equipment

Wondering if anybody out there can help me. I am a chief of a local volunteer department in eastern oklahoma. We soully really on donations and grant money to buy apparatus and equipment. Over the last five years we have been slowly trying to raise money to purchase a used pumper for our department. We are getting nowhere. We have put in for local grants, federal grants and we are getting nowhere. We have had several fund raisers but in these tough times we are not really getting anywhere fast. We have a 1976 Lafrance that is on its last leg we never know if it will start when we have a call. The other day while on a structure fire the pump quit working while fighting fire. This is a life safety issue. I have approached area businesses and are having no luck with them either. If anyone has any other type of ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Keep it safe
    Last edited by Medicc315; 03-04-2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Had the wrong year on apparatus

Permanently Removed

I am not an expert on this, but please do a serach on "federal excess property". You might be able to land a nice ex-govt fire engine.

Try this link.

Forum Member

1916 man that is old...
    Seriously try posting over on the Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding forum. Someone may have gotten a new truck and need to get rid of their old one..

Forum Member

I am really not in a position to offer much in the line of help, but I really wish your department the best of luck.

Although this sounds desperate, have you considered inviting the news media down to take a look at your 93 year old appatatus, and the fact that that the lives of your men and your citizens depend on a truck manufactured when Woodrow Wilson was president?

MembersZone Subscriber

Send me an email. bbowers@mozarks.com I am quite sure we can help you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gone.

This sounds kind of fishy to me. If you could provide us with a few pictures of your antique or maybe a link to your website, it would be helpful. I just can't picture a group of firefighters riding in a 1916 ALF wearing modern gear and SCBA, pulling up to a structure fire and expecting to be taken seriously. It violates way to many sections of the NFPA.

Sell the 1916 La France. There are companies around here dying to have an antique for parades and funerals.
    Last edited by Hexxus; 03-02-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Permanently Removed

Hex- I thought the same thing. But I figured just giving him/her a few referance links wouldnt hurt.

Good luck to the OP.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hexxus View Post
    This sounds kind of fishy to me. If you could provide us with a few pictures of your antique or maybe a link to your website, it would be helpful. I just can't picture a group of firefighters riding in a 1916 ALF wearing modern gear and SCBA, pulling up to a structure fire and expecting to be taken seriously. It violates way to many sections of the NFPA.

Sell the 1916 La France. There are companies around here dying to have an antique for parades and funerals.
    I thought I was the only one who felt as though he was dropped in the Gulf Coast off of Bayou La Batre, Al.

Hey, isn't that the Jenny trolling? Lt. Dan and you guessed it! Forrest!!!
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Get with the State Forestry Dept in OKC. They will get you used military trucks to use. All you need to put on them is you tank, pump, and other equip. I've seen them in state used as pumper/tankers depending on the fire.

Matt

Forum Member

My dept has a 1916 La France..................

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...8c7909cd83.jpg

Here's one with the Honor Guard..........

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...d46dfb293f.jpg

Forum Member

The 1916 part has to be a typo...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Yeah, i'm guessing the 6 and 1 were transposed.

Anyhow, my recommendation still stands.

MembersZone Subscriber

I figured that the 1916 was a typo. My point remains, if he will send me
    an email - equipment is available. Grant help is available. Heck, OK is a great state for support in wildland firefighting, they provide NEW brush trucks to many departments. NEW!

Forum Member

Yes it was a typo it should have been 1976 not 1916 sorry for that. We have gotten a brush truck through the state forestry service. We got one of those the first year they were available. We have also utilized the state forestry service equipment that you can get unfortunaly that is divided amongst areas throughout the state. My email is Medicc315@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Our State Volunter Firefighter's Association has a place on their site where departments can post old/unused/surplus equipment for sale. You would have to drive to Indiana to get the stuff, but it's worth keeping an eye on as some pretty good deals come up. We posted an '86 Ford Pumper in EXCELLENT condition for $5000 a few years ago. It went in no time flat.

The website is www.ivfa.org on the menu on the lefthand side, click "For Members" and then select "For Sale" on the dropdown menu.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Tell the local government to half the law enforcement budget and give it to the VFD. Then tell the PD to make up the difference with bake sales, pancake breakfasts and car washes.

Brother, if your community does not want to fork out the money to support the FD then they get what they deserve. If they don't have the tax revenue to support an FD then that's what you get for living out in the middle of nowhere.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    Brother, if your community does not want to fork out the money to support the FD then they get what they deserve. If they don't have the tax revenue to support an FD then that's what you get for living out in the middle of nowhere.
    Wow.

Get out more.

A LOT of the US has fire service surviving on a string. If you can call it
    surviving. When you have a rate of 21.5 people living below the poverty line, or a soaring unemployment rate like his county suffers from, just what in the hell are you going to tax?

You deserve it for living in the middle of nowhere? I guess we could all move to the east coast.... Nah.....

I had already started looking for an engine for these guys, now you really got me motivated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Wow.

Get out more.

A LOT of the US has fire service surviving on a string. If you can call it
    surviving. When you have a rate of 21.5 people living below the poverty line, or a soaring unemployment rate like his county suffers from, just what in the hell are you going to tax?

You deserve it for living in the middle of nowhere? I guess we could all move to the east coast.... Nah.....

I had already started looking for an engine for these guys, now you really got me motivated.
    Why didn't you include the first portion of my post?

I ask you this question. Why is it automatically assumed by a community that a police department should be compensated and everything provided for them. While most of FD's have to beg for money? If you've been in the emergencies services for any amount of time, you will find out that most police actions are after the fact. More or less, report only. When an FD's arrives, the incident is still underway and needs direct action to stop the chain of events and pick up the pieces. My post was against a community's priorities not against the individual who started the thread.

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    Why didn't you include the first portion of my post?

I ask you this question. Why is it automatically assumed by a community that a police department should be compensated and everything provided for them. While most of FD's have to beg for money? If you've been in the emergencies services for any amount of time, you will find out that most police actions are after the fact. More or less, report only. When an FD's arrives, the incident is still underway and needs direct action to stop the chain of events and pick up the pieces. My post was against a community's priorities not against the individual who started the thread.
    Why did I not include it? Because that is not the part that I disagreed with.

Forum Member

part of the problem with these grant programs is many of the grants say the piece being replaced can no longer be used in the fire service. So these depts. are given new trucks or money for new trucks, but their old trucks that could be sold cheaply to someone really hurting (who may just not have a good grant writer) are going to scrap or some other mundane usage.

Forum Member

Just want to thank thous of you who have taken your time to try and help me. It is greatly appreciated just that someone is looking.

Again I say thanks
    M. Roeder
    Training Officer
    Murry Spur Fire Dept.

Try Ebay...they always have good deals what's your price range....between 10-30 thousand also let me check department maybe getting rid of our 1982 FMC 1500gpm 1000gal tank engine i'll check and get back to you

Thread Information