Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pete892 View Post
    If you are blocking the road when you lay 5", then you need some training in laying hose. It should stay within 4 feet of the curb.

Stay safe,

Pete:

Well I don't know about where your from but around here we have cars, trucks and any number of other vehicles parked at the curb, and most times on both sides of the street in many neighborhoods. Supply lines usually end up right in the middle of the street because there's no where else for it to be.
    Last edited by FFPCogs08; 03-04-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Forum Member

I think it all depends on your situation. I don't see LDH as being the cure all, using it comes with it's own set of problems.

Forum Member

Can be said of all FF EQ. Still looking for that perfect tool...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If you have to lay hose for a car fire, it's time to find something else to do.
    i was speaking generally a 25 or 50 ' lengths in between our old pumper which carries 300gal and out 2 tankers, but we did have had to lay a few hundred feet of 3" for a car fire that was way of the road and we wernt taking the tankers into the field and burying them
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Can be said of all FF EQ. Still looking for that perfect tool...
    obviously, but the point is those who would say LDH is the only way are off base.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Hmmmm..................

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Looks like a few people missed the sound of the baited line being cast.

Humanitarian that I am, I removed the Hooks from the Lure first...........

And to Pete892, Good to hear from you, it's been a while.
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-05-2009 at 07:20 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Humanitarian that I am, I removed the Hooks from the Lure first...........

And to Pete892, Good to hear from you, it's been a while.

Harve.. you've opened a can of worms here.
    I wonder when the WT will give it the gaff!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

What worms? As taught from probie;Big fire,big water(hose). Nameless; about those LDH problems you spoke of? We've used it for years,unisex and pretty painless once you get the "system" set up.We can adapt from 4 to 5 and everything in between.Some lays around here can be OVER 3000' so that kinda counts 3" out. Everybody's got a preference,I'll stick with 4 plus. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Harve.. you've opened a can of worms here.
    I wonder when the WT will give it the gaff!

Now why would they do that...except for a few dissenters most guys on here could be salesmen for this miracle 5" rubber wonderhose.

It's a good thing this stuff came along because without it we were never able to get a water supply back in the "good ole days" when Chief Flintstone ran the show.

I jest..5' is a wonderful tool for the fire service I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to supply hose and a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it". But far be it from me to stand in the way of progress

Cogs

Forum Member

LDH is a great way to move large quantities of water over long distances. Is it the only way? Nope. Is 5 better than 4 better than 3? Depends on how much water you want to move. Are we going to get rid of 2000' of 4" because 5 has lower friction loss at capacity? Not likely. 4" is the best way to supply water in town, in our little corner of the 3rd rock. Our neighbors have everything from 3" to 5".

Forum Member

Got 4. Got 5. Got adapters so I don't care which way we go. We're NOT going back to 3".Big pumps,big distances so the 3 isn't practical HERE. Boss says it's 5 so guess what? We're gonna live with it.So I guess that makes me a traditional realist. T.C.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Well.............

I was a "Celebrity Guest Chief" at a Fire a long way from home, some years back. A 1,250 GPM Pumper was Drafting from a Lake, suppyling a 5 inch line that was the start of a 6,500 ft relay to the Fireground. Middle of the Relay was a 1,000 GPM rig that had contributed it's load of FOUR inch to the effort. All other hose was Five inch, other Pumps were 1,250 or 1,500 each. I have no idea if the 4 inch and the 1,000 pump caused any problems, since the Fire went out and everyone went home.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    What worms? As taught from probie;Big fire,big water(hose). Nameless; about those LDH problems you spoke of? We've used it for years,unisex and pretty painless once you get the "system" set up.We can adapt from 4 to 5 and everything in between.Some lays around here can be OVER 3000' so that kinda counts 3" out. Everybody's got a preference,I'll stick with 4 plus. T.C.

so are you attempting to tell me LDH has no drawbacks? If you think so tool has any drawbacks, you haven't used it enough in the real world.

All I'm saying is that LDH isn't a magical conduit for water with no problems, just like 3 inch supply line isn't a magical hose that has no problems either.

Back In Black

LDH, Five inch preferred.

If you are going to lay a supply line, then just do it once. The fire gets bigger... your still good to go.

Blocking roads? Train and educate on how to avoid that. I've not seen a scene where we couldn't get to because of LDH. I Have seen 3" blow from having someone drive over it, so maybe it's a good thing that noone can drive over LDH.

Does anyone still carry hose ramps for their supply lines? Even three inch ramps were pretty darn big.

Easy to rack, no need to dry, no need for hosebed cover.. easy maintenance and field repairs.

I likey very much.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Have to agree with 4" LDH rubber jacket. Like the comment in the last reply that said lay it once. Every fire is different, but you can do a lot with a 1,500 pump and some 4".

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry 750' of 5", 550' of 3" and 550' of 2 1/2" on the back of our engines. It works for us. As the company officer, it is my responsiblity to call for whichever supply line I feel will be of the best use. I like the 3" for shed, or unattached single car garages. It is even good for the smaller one family homes. For anything else, I will order the 5" dropped. The fire department I started in had 5" or 2 1/2" with crappy pressures in town, so 5" was pretty much the rule for us there. Here, we have great pressures, but I also feel that it is easier to pick up the 5" rather than the 3", especially since I will have to clean, hang, and reload the 3" when we get back in quarters. Just how we do it around here.

Default 3 4 5??

My department uses 5inch and 3inch we have 1000 feet of 5'' and 600 feet of 3'' 500 feet of 2.5'' and 2 1.5'' 150ft bundles aswell as 2 crosslays on our engine for the small stuff pull the lays but we dont have a water tower or a very good hydrant system so we put in a dry hydrant the 1000 feet will get us to anywere down the main drag we need to get to we would most likly use it to fill tenders but also carry there 3 inch to drop when needed no hook up the bundles.... it really doesnt get ussed all that much as we dont have many fires but its there and not on the floor!

Forum Member

We use LDH. It is the only way to go. If you need water, it gets it there faster than any other, and you just have to man up and use it. Also, hook up is much quicker.

Forum Member

We're rural, we don't have hydrants, and have to deal with long distances between the attack engines and where the water is coming from. 5" is the most practical way to get water to the scene efficiently with such long distances. Our first due engine has 2,000ft of 5". The next engine in has I think 1,500 ft. That will lay us a water main from the fire to somewhere convinient. It could be the end of the driveway, the end of a road, or even directly from a water source (pond or underground tank) depending on location. 3" supply hose would be useless.

We can push 1000gpm through that 2000ft 5" hose. With the other engine, some relay pumpers, and mutual aid, we can put a water main from the scene to a pond in pretty short order.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

We carry 4" and 3", though we'd like to replace the 4" with 5" at some point.

We're rural also, but we often find ourselves limited by the amount of water we can shuttle. With hydrants and other fill sites so widely spaced and often traveling down very narrow roads, trying to achieve greater than 500GPM of flow via shuttle is very, very difficult. So most of the time we lay in 3".

For the few times that we either mutual aid a neighboring city or the fire cooperates and is close enough to a hydrant, we'll lay in the 4".

Forum Member

Our engine nothing larger than 3", the city has a good hydrant system with 6" connections but we put on adapters to connect 3" hose. There is also plenty of open water to draft from. The central fire station has a swap-load truck with a hose-laying container carrying 3" and large amount of 4", it sees used a couple of times a year. It is standard procedure to send a tanker with the initial force regardless of hydrants or open water. There is a trailer-born high capacity pump in the city as well, it has two 3" outputs rather than LDH.

Forum Member

Here, the city battalion carries 5" and we in the country carry 3". I think 5" has its place, but there are few structure fires we encounter where dual 3" lines don't supply enough water.

The thing to remember is that no matter what size hose you carry, it is useless without the water system to support it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

LDH over other feeder lines basically provide two things: more water at the same distance or the same water at a further distance. If all your hydrants are closely spaced, this is not a major issue. If you're drafting or have poorly spaced hydrants LDH will be of benefit. Bigger flows, longer distances, far less friction loss.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    The thing to remember is that no matter what size hose you carry, it is useless without the water system to support it.
    That's not a completely true statement. If you have a pump, a straw and some water sitting around, you can make a water system. The fact that you carry LDH will give you more options for said make-shift water system. A crappy system that provides only 500 gpm at the hydrant will only give you the500 gpm regardless of the hose size. It's the distance from this hydrant that you can use the 500 gpm that will prove the benefit of LDH.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc407 View Post
    We use LDH. It is the only way to go. If you need water, it gets it there faster than any other, and you just have to man up and use it. Also, hook up is much quicker.
    It may be the only way to go in your district and with your resources, but LDH doesn't come without its drawbacks. I also fail to see how hook up is any quicker.

Thread Information