Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Hey, hey, hey. Goodbye (GM)

An ode to the automaker who produced such incredible vehicles of late such as:

Chevrolet Monte Carlo (a 2-door Lumina)
    Cadillac Catera (a rebadged Holden)
    Chevrolet Aveo (A rebadged Daewoo)

And every car fire i've ever been to has been a Pontiac

Forum Member

It wont be too far off that everything we buy will come from overseas, we are really shooting ourselves in the foot. Everyone complains that the economy is dropping way down, and you see them driving toyotas and hundai's around, go figure.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Anyone who would celebrate the demise of a huge American corporation and the loss of thousands of jobs directly, and perhaps even many more thousands of jobs indirectly, is incredibly disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Anyone who would celebrate the demise of a huge American corporation and the loss of thousands of jobs directly, and perhaps even many more thousands of jobs indirectly, is incredibly disturbed.
    I am celebrating the death of an arrogant, smarmy corporation that has produced nothing but absolute garbage for 30+ years and has used their sheer size to avoid having to adapt to a changing market.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ActionGoose View Post
    I am celebrating the death of an arrogant, smarmy corporation that has produced nothing but absolute garbage for 30+ years and has used their sheer size to avoid having to adapt to a changing market.
    Nice to know that my truck and my wife's care are garbage.

GM got a bad rap in the 70's, and never really recovered. They do make some very good vehicles. As mentioned above, I'm very happy with my truck and would never by a foreign badged truck.

Here's hoping that if they do file bankruptcy, they are able to reorganize and come back stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    It wont be too far off that everything we buy will come from overseas, we are really shooting ourselves in the foot. Everyone complains that the economy is dropping way down, and you see them driving toyotas and hundai's around, go figure.
    In today's world market, Ford, GM, and Dodge all have a lot foreign parts in them and conversely, Honda Toyota have a lot of US made parts in them. Hundai is the only leading vehicle that is totally Japanese made and imported.

I agree to an extent that the automakers failed to change with the times and are now producing alternative fuels and hybrid vehicles too little too late.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ActionGoose View Post
    Hmmm....every GM I've owned in 18 years (I get bored and buy and trade cars a lot) has treated me really, really well. I guess I've always gotten mine from the "hey, these aren't the garbage" side of the dealers lot....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    In today's world market, Ford, GM, and Dodge all have a lot foreign parts in them and conversely, Honda Toyota have a lot of US made parts in them. Hundai is the only leading vehicle that is totally Japanese made and imported.

I agree to an extent that the automakers failed to change with the times and are now producing alternative fuels and hybrid vehicles too little too late.
    Little correction on some info here. The proper spelling is Hyundai, they are Korean not Japanese and they have a very large manufacturing facility in Alabama.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Well.................

This is one area in which I have a VERY Short Fuse. This Great Nation is sinking to new lows because of all the Green/Politically Correct Crap, and people just laugh at it. If the Dow shot up 2,000 points today, we'd still have a very long road to recovery. If we're going to get back on track, Harsh Action is needed from the Very Top, and with this President, I don't see that happening. Huge Tariffs on Imports is the starting point. I have always said that if it wasn't "Made in Detroit" I won't buy it. The President wants to spend a Trillion or so on a "Build ourselves out of Recession" plan, which is a good idea, but we shouldn't rebuild America with foreign materials. In order to do things like re-open U.S. Steel Mills, we need to scale back on Environmental Regulations that have driven business overseas. At the Automakers, put a tight wage scale in place. A quarter million a year to the very top Executives, and $ 20-25/hr to the production line. All of our problems aren't from Honda, some are from organized labor, and than needs to be addressed. My Blood Pressure is going up, I'll be back later.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I wonder if I should re thinking buying a new Yukon?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    This is one area in which I have a VERY Short Fuse. This Great Nation is sinking to new lows because of all the Green/Politically Correct Crap, and people just laugh at it. If the Dow shot up 2,000 points today, we'd still have a very long road to recovery. If we're going to get back on track, Harsh Action is needed from the Very Top, and with this President, I don't see that happening. Huge Tariffs on Imports is the starting point. I have always said that if it wasn't "Made in Detroit" I won't buy it. The President wants to spend a Trillion or so on a "Build ourselves out of Recession" plan, which is a good idea, but we shouldn't rebuild America with foreign materials. In order to do things like re-open U.S. Steel Mills, we need to scale back on Environmental Regulations that have driven business overseas. At the Automakers, put a tight wage scale in place. A quarter million a year to the very top Executives, and $ 20-25/hr to the production line. All of our problems aren't from Honda, some are from organized labor, and than needs to be addressed. My Blood Pressure is going up, I'll be back later.
    You have some good points Harve, but I don't think that slapping on high import quotas are going to help at this stage of the game. This was done during the 30's and backfired all over the world. One big problem is that there is no way we can lower our per unit costs to compete with Japan, Korea etc on auto making. A lot of their savings are done by automation and the fact that their capital costs for building their plants were subsidised by govt initially. Environmental regs are basically non existent in some areas, and many of them in turn subcontract out mfg of parts to other countries, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand.
    No doubt labor costs are part of the unit cost of a new vehicle, but speaking personally, I really can't see major cost differences between Big 3 and imports. The biggest knock against Detroit has always been efficiency and economy and we are our own worst enemies there. I've mostly always had Fords with 1 Pontiac in last 25 years. I would get 300k km with no major problems. We have a VW Passat at home in Europe and I really think that a Taurus is a better unit. Economy is about 10mpg less though.
    I do think that GM and probably Chrysler will have to go into bankruptcy protection and hopefully come out better equipt to compete on the world market.

Banned

Detroit made the cars that the people want. The problem is the muckity muck yuppies who think it is some sort of status statement to go buy a foreign car. Detroit has made the little $H1t boxes that the foreigners also make, but no one buys them. Of course, now we have set a precedent. We have bailed out hundreds of companies, how can we ignore GM? Our sad sack government will just hand them more money so that their rich CEOs get richer. The governmetn should have let these industries figure out on their own how to fix their own problems.

Let them go out of business. It is not about being a disturbed person either.

A large company who blows through money like I go through oxygen. The UAW screwed themselves and have done jack shyte to change anything - nor have the big three. So now they suck BILLIONS of our money from us, to shore them up for a few months, and then come back sucking BILLIONS more.

I pay my bills. I do not spend more than I make. GM LOSES money on every car that they make. So do Chrysler and Ford. So I am supposed to happily have another few thousand dollars added to my lifetime tax burden because a bunch of people making a bunch on money can't be financially responsible and balance a freaking accounting book? I don't think so.

For you guys that love Ford, GM, and Chrysler....that is good. But I have been burned by all 3 in my prior car purchases. So I have a Subaru Outback(made in Indiana) - that has lasted me longer than ANY car that the big three made - and a Toyota 4Runner (made in Japan) that is better than any other car or truck I have had. To each their own, but don't insult and belittle those of us who choose other than what you wish. My 4Runner is not a status symbol - and I am far from a yuppie. My 4Runner was 5 grand less than any comparable vehicle made by the big 3 (and I won't by Nissan since it is 44% French owned) and it is safer, gets better gas mileage, and a better vehicle than anything else in its class. There are many reasons we make decisions, so don't go lumping others into your own little world.

Same with Citi and Bank of America. The banks did not just forget how to do their jobs overnight - they knew exactly what they were doing. I don't trust banks, and have my money in credit unions........Have not seen a credit union go under in a VERY LONG TIME.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by BillST View Post
    I wonder if I should re thinking buying a new Yukon?
    Get a 4Runner, Sequoia (which are butt-ugly), or a Explorer.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

Hyundai is Korean, not Japanese.

Anyway, my Nissan Frontier had a sticker in the windshield when i bought it that said over 60% of the parts were made in the good ole US of A

Therein lies part of the problem Harve. The Big Three spend HUGE amounts of money on labr from bloated union contracts that they could not afford and did not have the b@lls to stand up against. So they spend huge amounts of money, lose money on the cars they make, and spend more than they make. Then take out loans and get credit to cover their day to day bills.

No business can do this for long, and Ford, GM, and Chrysler have all done this - and are now asking you, me, and every other tax-paying American to do it by giving them Billions. Even the Federal Government is doing this, it is called our deficit. So Obama and Congress (both parties) doubles the deficit in the next year, and takes out loans, prints money we do not have, and passes that debt on to our children and grandchildren. Problem is that the bill eventually becomes due..........and what do you do when you don't have the money to pay it off?

You go bankrupt or out of business. And now we are being asked to pay off the mortgages of our neighbors due to their own financial ineptness.

Just bend over and take it up the arse - without the courtesy of any lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmoose171 View Post
    Hyundai is Korean, not Japanese.

Anyway, my Nissan Frontier had a sticker in the windshield when i bought it that said over 60% of the parts were made in the good ole US of A
    I do believe that your Nissan Forntier was made in the United States as well. So does that still make it a "foreign car?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

its not all the blame of auto makers here. what about financial institutions. maybe the federal government should opt out of nafta, its not doing what they said it would! stop paying corporations in this country to send work and jobs out, stop the incentives to them. yes we send our products to china, japan, and anywhere else and its gets tariffed. but they send there products here and its ok no tariffs, whats wrong with this picture. and on another note trucks coming in from mexico do not have to meet any of our us dot regulations. they cant speak our language, there trucks are unsafe, they leak oil all over our roads. there should be safety checks for them just like our trucks.
    the bail out should have gone to the people of this nation, not the banks or automakers.
    heck i'll throw this out to, stop supporting all the illegal scum in our country. that savings would be tremendous.
    gotta go, bllod pressure medication is running on low. stay safe!!

Huge Tariffs on Imports is the starting point. I have always said that if it wasn't "Made in Detroit" I won't buy it.
    Protectionism worked really well in the last recession/depression!

Originally Posted by hwoods
    Huge Tariffs on Imports is the starting point. I have always said that if it wasn't "Made in Detroit" I won't buy it.
    The car business is global.

The domestic auto industry as well as "the Imports" have parts plants and assembly plants all over the world.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information