• Report to rear, report conditions, stretch line to exposure

2 9.09%
  • Report to rear, report conditions, wait for direction from Command

1 4.55%
  • Report to rear, report conditions, perform other assignment per Command

1 4.55%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Side Charlie Engine Assignments

Some departments have guidelines that require an engine company to report to the rear (Side Charlie, Exposure 3, etc.) on the initial alarm or working fire. With that assignment the company may have to report on what is showing and then stretch a line to a specific area. Some departments operate 'by the book' such as Washington D.C. for example. The second-due engine is responsible for checking the basement, even if the structure is a 10-story high-rise and a fire is reported on the sixth floor (this rules out possiblity of a compactor fire). Other departments have similar directions, and for some it may be made up as they and the Incident Commander go along.

What are the responsibilities for the first engine company to the rear of your working structure fire?
    Last edited by bcarey; 03-07-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

Our 2nd due engine reports to the rear. When put in service they are expected to be stretching from the rear. When not in service they are to locate a hydrant, flush it then standby at the truck. BC is looking for a report from the 2nd due ladder officer about conditions in the rear. This report will sometimes be given by the 2nd due engine officer if he makes it back there first.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Ok.........

Third to the Rear (Charlie)........... Third Due normally lays in, with the 4th Due picking up the Hydrant. If a situation warrants, the 4th due might Reverse lay from the 3rd to the Hydrant, or sometimes Both may work a Split Lay......... Whatever it takes to do it, the 3rd is responsible for providing the initial attck line in the rear, while the 4th Due is responsible for seeing that the 3rd has a continious Water Supply.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

With us, its usually not feasible or necessary to have an engine automatically respond to the 3 side. On occasion it happens, based on building type, location, and water sources. But our engines are 99.9% of the time used solely for "engine" company responsibilities. 2nd due engine is responsible for insuring that the 1st due engine has water, and backs them up on the line (and assists with the stretch if necessary). 3rd due engine has 2nd line (usually stretched off 1st due rig) with the 4th due engine holding the same responsibilities to the 3rd due as 2nd to 1st.

Obviously there will be deviations, but thats our basic SOP.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

we do not have an SOG/P for this ............if there was fire and we had access we might direct a rig to the "C" side.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

And here I thought that the Tower Ladder Poll was scary.

We have awesome pre-plans for car seat installing and other items of that ilk, but only 4 people who answered this poll have any sort of plan when responding to a structure fire.

And we wonder why.....
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    And here I thought that the Tower Ladder Poll was scary.

We have awesome pre-plans for car seat installing and other items of that ilk, but only 4 people who answered this poll have any sort of plan when responding to a structure fire.

And we wonder why.....
    Now, now. My department, and I'm sure most others have plenty (too many?) SOPs on fighting structure fires. This poll was about responding to and operating from the C side of buildings. In our land of frame houses with access between, and few if any alleys, responding to the rear of a structure is a moot point.

If you work in an area with a lot of abutting/row type houses, then a C-side response plan is important. With other places it's kind of pointless.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Forum Member

I agree with most of what upstater said. If you want an engine on the "C" side of many of my dwellings, you are in the front of another house, about 150' away from the house on fire.

We send an engine to "C" (or a truck) when it's appropriate.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I am seeing this as Bill never said drive to the rear. He said "report". This can be accomplished by driving or walking, by the engine officer walking back there and reporting conditions.

Either of which require a plan and forethought ahead of time.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Here is the question.....What are the responsibilities for the first engine company to the rear of your working structure fire?

I took it differently than what you did. I took it as whether an engine company is assigned to the rear.

Taking it your way, "He said report. This can be accomplished by driving or walking, by the engine officer walking back there and reporting conditions." - we always have someone check all sides of the building. That is part of the OV's (first due truck) assignment.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information