Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driver is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

3 9.09%
  • Roof Firefighter is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

9 27.27%
  • OVM is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

3 9.09%
  • Ladders or other Firefighter is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

2 6.06%
  • Follow direction of Truck Officer

16 48.48%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another excellent example of a Tower Ladder and capabilities.

Great job Gio and all the brothers in the Tonka Truck.

FDNY offical press release

Firefighters rescued panicked residents from a fire at this residential building in Bushwick.

Firefighter Giovanni Martinez and other members from Ladder 124 made four daring rescues in Bushwick, Brooklyn, on March 24.

“All the members did a phenomenal job,” said Battalion Chief Joseph Schiralli.

The fire was first reported at 7:59 a.m. in a three-story residential building on Palmetto St. Firefighters arrived within two minutes to find heavy fire and smoke pouring out the windows on the second and third floors.

They were told several people were trapped in a third floor apartment, unable to escape because the extreme fire conditions blocked their means of egress.

The members of Ladder 124 set up their aerial ladder and Firefighter Martinez brought the bucket past the fire to the third floor apartment window, where he found a panicked pregnant woman and man.

The window was open, but blocked by child safety gate, so Firefighter Martinez pried open the bars with his Halligan tool and safely removed the victims to the bucket.

They told the firefighter another victim was inside, so he crawled into the apartment to conduct a search without the protection of a hose line. He found a semi-conscious man on the floor in a separate room and pulled him to the bucket.

Lt. Robert Rochelle was inside the building as Firefighter Martinez made the rescues. He said, “You couldn’t see a thing and a flashlight does nothing at that point. He did a great job.”

At the same time, Firefighter John Finn from Ladder 124 saw another third floor resident was threatening to jump. He climbed a 20-foot portable ladder outside to calm the man before the bucket rescued him.

[L to R] FF Greg Fraccalvieri (L-124), FF Kevin Quinn (E-271), FF Robert Roscoe (L-124), FF Andy Castillo (assigned E-271, working in L-124), Lt. Robert Rochelle (L-124), [top row] FF John Finn (L-124), FF Brian Kelly (L-124), FF Chris Chiappetta, [bottom row] FF Carlos Ruiz (E-271) and FF Scott Carrella (E-271).

Chief Schiralli also commended the members of Engine 271 for curtailing the fast-moving fire, which was brought under control at 8:34 a.m.

Firefighter Martinez received minor injuries in the fire, as did 12 other firefighters and civilians.

FDNY fire marshals determined the fire was accidental, caused by an extension cord stretched under a mattress.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Daily News

FDNY firefighters rescue three, including pregnant woman, from Brooklyn fire

By Matthew Lysiak and Jonathan Lemire DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, March 24th 2009, 1:09 PM

DelMundo for News
    Firefighter Giovanni Martinez rescued three residents from a Brooklyn house fire Tuesday.

The rescue was especially harrowing because the Bushwick building's wooden siding caught fire, intensifying the smoke and flame as firefighters climbed a tower ladder toward the frantic residents, who were leaning out a window.

The raging inferno ignited just before 8 a.m., forcing many of the Palmetto St. building's inhabitants to run to the street in their pajamas. Some on the upper floors could not get out.

"I ran outside in my boxers and I saw fire all over the place," said Alex Castillo, who was woken by his mother's shouts.

"I heard people screaming and saw a pregnant woman leaning out over the third-floor window," Castillo said. "She was hysterical. I thought she was going to jump."

Within three minutes, several FDNY rigs pulled up to scene and discovered the building almost fully engulfed in flames.

"I felt heat hit my face and it was terrifying," said witness Chetkiela Jenkins, who lives down the block and ran outside to see smoke pouring from every window. "I thought everyone was dead."

Though the side of the building was burning, firefighters quickly raced up the ladder to reach the pregnant woman, who was gasping for air.

"The fire was blowing out through the windows [and] I saw the victims," said Firefighter Giovanni Martinez.

"She was hysterical, she was screaming 'Help me, help me, I'm pregnant," Martinez said. "I told her, 'I got you, you're going to be all right."

Martinez placed the woman and two others into the tower ladder's bucket and took them to safety.

"[The building] was hot, but you can't turn back and you can't come down without them," Martinez said.

The fire was declared under control 30 minutes later, officials said. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation.

The three people pulled from the flames were taken to Wyckoff Hospital and they were expected to survive, officials said. More than 50 people lost their homes in the blaze, officials said.

Forum Member

Every company in the city doesnt operate the exact same. Some need to adjust for street size, poorly designed trucks (22 and 6), officer preferenceSo in this image we would do the following. We rarely have problems making the block so our pack (search & rescue) is tasked with nothing other than forced entry and search. Our driver will try for a main shot but if unable will assist with throwing ground ladders. With the tillerman the driver will throw a 35 to the roof of an ADJOINING property. Once they make the roof the driver will open all natural openings then cut a hole if needed while the tillerman takes the 3rd floor front and rear windows. Our inside hook (maybe with the assistance of the officer) would throw a 28 to the 3rd floor positioned for rescue. Then a 16 or 20 to 2nd floor positioned between the 2 windows. Obviously depending on fire location the inside hook would then proceed to vent 2nd floor front windows then role the ladder to either window positioned for rescue. Remember top down ventilation. Inside hook then goes inside to open walls and ceilings.

The below link is a job from last summer. Shows a 3 story porch front. No main shot. Pics show a 20 to porch, 16 to 3rd floor and a 28 from porch roof to roof of dwelling.

http://eastcoast911.exposuremanager....ock_w_tioga_st
    Last edited by PFDTruck18; 03-25-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Thread Information