Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driver is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

3 9.09%
  • Roof Firefighter is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

9 27.27%
  • OVM is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

3 9.09%
  • Ladders or other Firefighter is responsible for removing occupants with bucket

2 6.06%
  • Follow direction of Truck Officer

16 48.48%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tower Ladder Rescues

Truck companies that utilize riding assignments know which member operates the tower and which member is in the bucket. These assignments may change based upon the company's due-assignment. For some truck companies, it may depend on the staffing available at the time of the alarm.

When faced with occupants needing removal from upper floors, and operating a tower ladder, who is responsible for reaching and removing those occupants?

"Heroic Rescues in W. Side Blaze"
    New York Post
    By Philip Messing
    Last updated: 11:23 am
    March 6, 2009
    Posted: 2:45 am
    March 6, 2009

"Firefighters used rescue buckets to pluck trapped tenants from their windows in a blazing building on the West Side early today after the stairway became engulfed in flames. The 1:30 a.m. fire at 509 Ninth Avenue between 38th and 39th Streets left at least six people, including a baby, with serious, but not life-threatening injuries, according to early reports. The building has a store on the bottom and four stories of apartments above."

Courtesy of New York Post
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bcarey; 03-07-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    Truck companies that utilize riding assignments know which member operates the tower and which member is in the bucket. These assignments may change based upon the company's due-assignment. For some truck companies, it may depend on the staffing available at the time of the alarm.

When faced with occupants needing removal from upper floors, and operating a tower ladder, who is responsible for reaching and removing those occupants?
    Is this a trick question or something?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Is this a trick question or something?
    ? Did you read the poll?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    ? Did you read the poll?
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.
    I'll go back to my corner now.

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Know what is scary about this whole thread. Nine people need to wait to be told what to do and have not trained or drilled how their company will affect a rescue before it happens.

Think about that.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Know what is scary about this whole thread. Nine people need to wait to be told what to do and have not trained or drilled how their company will affect a rescue before it happens.

Think about that.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Although there may be standing orders based on riding position, the final call is the officer's, since after all he is the boss.

You left out the option for
    () We don't have a ladder truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post

Think about that.
    We don't have a tower ladder, but we do have a straight stick and it would be up to the situation and the officer who went up to make the rescue. But we do train but at my dept sometimes we have a four or five man truck and other times only 3 so it is impossible to know for sure who is doing what job until the morning you arrive at work. Which is up to the officer.

Forum Member

Volunteer departments should use that picture for every fundraising event they do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Volunteer departments should use that picture for every fundraising event they do.
    works better if the mega whackers put that on their myspace with cool quotes about "walking where the devil dances" and such.

Forum Member

so you're saying i should remove the photoshopped picture with my face from my fire resumes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    so you're saying i should remove the photoshopped picture with my face from my fire resumes?
    Depends- if you photoshopped your face onto the baby's, I would definitely leave it there.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Forum Member

It all depends on where the fire is, and if someone presents at a window as you arrive. Be more specific.

Forum Member

My logic.... which isn't normally very good

The roof is pretty important position to give up.

The driver cant do his job from the bucket.

I would have to say OVM or the "other", provided that "other" firefighter isn't assigned F/E for the first due ladder co or search with the officer

Wouldn't the OVM be making similar rescues opposite the fire with a ground ladder? Now he just uses a bucket.

all this can be done without direction from the Truck Officer who should be inside searching and giving interior conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    ... We don't use "OVM", our roof guy throws ladders with the inside hook, then takes windows on his way up. Inside hook meets up with the engine to pull ceiling, pack guy does a search, officer does what he does.
    Interesting that your "inside hook" is outside throwing ladders as opposed to inside making entry. Who does your forcible entry? The "pack guy" by himself?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

What exactly is the drivers job where you work? Not bashing you, just would like to know how Jacksonville does it. Our drivers job is to get there (duh) and put the main in service if possible. So naturally, he would be the one to go up in the event there was someone to be rescued. The officer might assist. We don't use "OVM", our roof guy throws ladders with the inside hook, then takes windows on his way up. Inside hook meets up with the engine to pull ceiling, pack guy does a search, officer does what he does.
    I dont know how jacksonville does it. I just live there

I suppose if everyone else was too busy to do something yeah the driver could do it all by himself.

Told you my logic wasnt very good

Yup, a maul and a halligan can get you through most anything. If you're lookin at a steel door we've got rabbit tools. Most of the time, on a row style dwelling, which is the majority of the city, the pack guy John Waynes it.

And the inside hook guy helps throw a 35 and gets INSIDE. No to many of us can just toss around a 35 alone.

If you've got a rippin 3 story row it could look something like this

On location heavy fire 2nd floor front. NO MAIN SHOT (wires)

Pack guy takes a 20 to the door, drops it and makes entry for prim. search, shuts down utilities after prim search
    Inside hook and Roof take a 35 to the roof, inside hook and driver take 28 to 3rd floor, then inside hook finds the tip and pulls ceiling ect. as needed
    Roof takes windows on the way up, and back windows from the roof if 2nd in ladder hasnt got there yet.
    Driver puts 20 to 2nd floor, and 28 to 3rd floor, takes saws to roof if ventilation needed
    officer gives interior conditions, gets reports from roof, pack and hook on progress.

Again, just an example, by the time all this is going on, another ladder would probably be there assisting, and vice-versa.
    Ok, interesting setup.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Yup, a maul and a halligan can get you through most anything. If you're lookin at a steel door we've got rabbit tools. Most of the time, on a row style dwelling, which is the majority of the city, the pack guy John Waynes it.

And the inside hook guy helps throw a 35 and gets INSIDE. No to many of us can just toss around a 35 alone.

If you've got a rippin 3 story row it could look something like this

On location heavy fire 2nd floor front. NO MAIN SHOT (wires)

Pack guy takes a 20 to the door, drops it and makes entry for prim. search, shuts down utilities after prim search
    Inside hook and Roof take a 35 to the roof, inside hook and driver take 28 to 3rd floor, then inside hook finds the tip and pulls ceiling ect. as needed
    Roof takes windows on the way up, and back windows from the roof if 2nd in ladder hasnt got there yet.
    Driver puts 20 to 2nd floor, and 28 to 3rd floor, takes saws to roof if ventilation needed
    officer gives interior conditions, gets reports from roof, pack and hook on progress.

Again, just an example, by the time all this is going on, another ladder would probably be there assisting, and vice-versa.

How exactly does the roof firefighter take the windows on the way up?

Which windows is he taking? Is he waiting for a report from the inside, or just arbitrarily taking windows?

Which window/windows is he taking? On the fire floor? Floor above? Top floor?

Is the line in place before he takes the windows? Is his egress cut off by fire venting from the window he just took on the way up?

I am asking these questions with sincerity. I am always interested in how other departments operate.

Thanks.

Forum Member

For us it would be the "outside team". We have an interesting setup in that not every riding position is described a specific function but rather an inside/outside team. Are "truck company" doesnt all even come on the same piece of apparatus. In general our outside team is made up of engineer/position seated behind engineer/and driver of rescue. They would be responsible for any outside rescue/ventilation including the VES. The inside team consists of officer/rear seat behind officer/ and right seat of rescue. Each position is assigned tools based on ridiing position.

Forum Member

ps, how do you post a normal friggin picture? I had to set that to a 16 color bitmap in order to post it. I've seen HUGE pictures on here, and that one is still just under the kb limit for posting. ??
    find one that is online, copy the URL

and paste it in between "IMG" tags with no space in between. the example with have a space so it doesnt think its a picture

[img]http://www.bigfirepicture.......jpg[/im g]

Thread Information