Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Respect

Permanently Removed

Default Respect

Just wanted to say Wow!! I took a class on wildland firefighting for the first time after being a structural firefighter for 12 yrs.
    This is some dangerous stuff that kills, scares the hell out o me and my hats off to all that do it. Makes us city boyz a bunch of sissies.

lol, If you say so.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know plenty of wildland guys who would say something similar about structure fire.

When you stand back and look at the big picture, it is sort of awe inspiring. As a structural firefighter, you are expected to be a "jack of all trades", becoming proficient in all aspects of firefighting. But as with anything when you try to master all aspects, at least something begins to drop a bit. And (at least as I have observed) wildland tends to be one that large number of municiple or metropolitan departments seem to slip on. Don't get me wrong I am not saying their not proficient or are poor at wildland, I am just saying that the emphasis tends to be on what they do most, ems and structure fire and rightfully so. I started out as a volunteer in a combination paid/ volunteer district and it wasn't untill I started fighting wildland fires professionally on a national level that I realized how much there was to the whole world of wildland.
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Forum Member

I would rather see fire -any kind - than run medical aids, and at least where I am at in CA, there are probably 50-60 veg fires for every 1 structure fire. I love being toned out literally every day in the summer and knowing you are going to "do work." Cant wait for summer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly3 View Post
    Just wanted to say Wow!! I took a class on wildland firefighting for the first time after being a structural firefighter for 12 yrs.
    This is some dangerous stuff that kills, scares the hell out o me and my hats off to all that do it. Makes us city boyz a bunch of sissies.
    I don't know if I'd go that far, but in wildland you might be asked to do more with less. Structure firefighting vs. Wildland is, perhaps like apples vs oranges.

Thread Information