Default Wisconsin FF/medic cert transfer to Florida.

Ok, so I've typed this several times, but there have been no replies so I think I did something wrong so, I'm trying again. I'm 17 and plan to go to Fox Valley Tech. This fall when I turn 18 I'm getting my EMT-B and then once I graduate I will be going to FVTC for paramedic and then going for Firefighter. I know most departments want you to aleast have EMT-I so I'm going above that because I truly want to be a paramedic and a firefighter full time. I plan on moving to Florida(maimi area) after college. I want to do this in a big city and I just want to jump into it and not wait around. I really need to know if everything is going to transfer and what I will have to do. I've heard people talking about getting cert at the national level, would I have to do that?

Thanks alot for all your help

Dalton

Soon to be fellow firefighter brother

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by run2thebeat12 View Post
    Ok, so I've typed this several times, but there have been no replies so I think I did something wrong so, I'm trying again. I'm 17 and plan to go to Fox Valley Tech. This fall when I turn 18 I'm getting my EMT-B and then once I graduate I will be going to FVTC for paramedic and then going for Firefighter. I know most departments want you to aleast have EMT-I so I'm going above that because I truly want to be a paramedic and a firefighter full time. I plan on moving to Florida(maimi area) after college. I want to do this in a big city and I just want to jump into it and not wait around. I really need to know if everything is going to transfer and what I will have to do. I've heard people talking about getting cert at the national level, would I have to do that?
    Few things, first if you are interested in working in Florida, you should check and see what FL will accept for certs first. I have seen many job annoucements for FF's in the state, but most places require FL fire certs, of which you have to get the certs IN FL. They tend not to accept certs from other states.

As for paramedic, in WI you do have to take the National Registry in order to obtain a license. WI uses the National Registry test for its state exam, so yes if looking to get EMS certs in WI, you will get it at the national level. However, again, not all states recognize that level or may have their own certs. So even if you have National Registry, you may find yourself taking a certification test for another state. Again, this is stuff you need to seriously look into, especially if looking to move.

Now you mention going to FVTC for Basic and then for medic. I would highly recommend finding a service to ride with as an EMT for awhile as a Basic to get your skills up. I have helped test students in their paramedic exams and you can tell those students who just went from EMT-B to Paramedic. Their assessment skills really do stink compared to those who have been EMT's for awhile.

If you are serious about working in FL, I would suggest you look into going to school there. Otherwise check around with both the school and FL depts to see if the certs you get here would be accepted there.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are serious about Florida I would highly recommend that you call some of the tech colleges down there, or a lot of the Fire Department web sites will have links to the local colleges.

I have looked into going to Florida and the information I gathered was not good. As far as paramedic if you have national registry you still have to take theirs over again, I don't know why cause I believe it's the same one again.

As far as fire, their standards are much higher. I believe you have to take their Fire academy.

If you really want to work down there it may be best to just move there.

Thread Information