Default Military FF: Which service is better?

Im a volunteer FF in texas, but i would like to take my skills to the next level. I would like to be a FF in the military, i would like some feedback to determine exactly which branch of service to go in.

No matter what branch you decide to join all Military Firefighters go to Goodfellow "Air Force Base" in San Angelo Tx for the Fire Academy. http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/photos/...ID=2485&page=1
    That should tell you something. I'd definitely go Air Force.

Forum Member

Default Reply

It depends on what you want to do and what you mean by better. As with any civilian agency across the nation, you have your good departments and you have your bad, ditto goes for any branch of service. Also are you looking at going active or reserve/national guard? In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, hands down, the Air Force, whether it be active or reserve/national guard take care of their people the best. Training is pretty standardized across the board and depending where you are at, you are going to be either really slow in terms of call volume so be ready to fill that time in with tons of training (which isnt bad either), or you may be at a base that provides mutual aid to the city/ county department so calls are pretty steady. You also have to factor in deployment rotation for every branch, where the Army and Marines have a really steady deployment cycle overseas. Going into the service isnt a bad deal, and you being from TX, which is an IFSAC/Proboard state, if you decide to get out, all or at least most of your certs from the DoD will transfer over.

Good luck!

Thread Information