Default military FF:which is better?

Im currently a volunteer FF, but would now like to take my training to the next level. I always wanted to join the military, I graduate from ITT tech in june but im just not into sitting behind a desk, i enjoy fire fighting. I would like some feedback on the different branches and what its like after AIT and Basic.

Any feedback would be great!
    Thanks
    Kurtis
    Last edited by Kactiz; 03-11-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kactiz View Post
    Im currently a volunteer FF, but would now like to take my training to the next level. I having trouble deciding which branch of service to go in. I would like some feedback on the different branches and what its like after AIT and Basic.
    Depends upon what you want to do and which branch of service. Each has pros and cons. The one branch that has a great firefighting program is the Air Force. You also obtain many IFSAC certs through their schooling, which many are recognized by many states and do transfer. However, the job is hard to get into and does have a high washout rate. Last I heard about it, they were pretty full.

The other branches do have their own version of firefighter, but may not have the same type of IFSAC certs, if any. However, there can be pluses to serving in another branch as well, such as travel. The Navy gets all over the world, or you could be stuck in a cornfield at a base.

Despite what you do in the service, do NOT let yourself think that doing a FF job in the military will land you a civilian job. Air Force may give you the best shot with their IFSAC certs, but all vets get vet points. As it is, a person serving in the Infantry or in the Navy or CG could land a job with a dept, before a person who WAS a military FF. The best chance you can get to land a job outside of the service is to take as many college courses as you can while serving. Many courses are paid for by the military. Look into a fire protection degree program and school about a year or so before you get out, some programs do have a wait list. Basically just don't rely upon the military training to land you a career job.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

To Clarify, All branches that go through the DOD Academy at Goodfellow get IFSAC certs. The Navy would be your trickiest to get fire in your first enlistment, but it can be done. Navy Firefighters that go through the academy are Aviation Boatswain's Mate Handlers and most have done a considerable amount of time on a flight deck before they get into shore rotation. Other than that a Marine, sailor or soldier that goes to Goodfellow will earn the same certs as an airman at the end of the course, and throughout that service member's career. A person that serves is a veteran during this time of war, a service member that earns an expeditionary medal and/or a disability rating from the VA may get extra preference. Bottom line is all vets get some form of preference over general population, if the department gives status to veterans. Heed this warning: Do not take the decision to serve lightly, joining the military has a lot more to it than getting some certs, the name on the left of the uniform means a hell of a lot more than the name on the right.

Forum Member

I Agree join the service that you would the happiest in. All branches have firefighters. Do what makes you happy.

Forum Member

Unless you want to be a Marine, stay away from the Marine Corps. The MOS is secondary to the "Every Marine a Rifleman" ethos. You can't be guaranteed the MOS on enlistment, you could end up slamming runway matting or keeping flight records. And besides, Marine FFs are ARFF response only stateside and more likely to be on security patrols than the fire station overseas.

That said, I'm very proud to be a Marine. But don't do it for the firefighting certs.

Soon, VinnieB will show up and try to convince you that it is wonderful to be an infantryman.

Come on Top,
    I'm trying to recruit ordnancemen here!
    I am a private citizen, these postings do not represent anyone/thing/place but me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcgregor View Post
    Come on Top,
    I'm trying to recruit ordnancemen here!
    I didn't tell him not to enlist, just not to do it for the wrong reasons. Now that you mention it, one of the wrong reasons would be Ordnance

MembersZone Subscriber

Air force to get certs, civ. sector to fight fires. A volunteer with 10 actual fires has seen more than most 10 yr enlisted. I've done both (Paid civ./Air Force) and saw no more than 2 fires a year during my military service. The military has excellent training. Over and over and over. Fire protection is an insurance of sorts for the accets of the base therefor prevention and education are hands down the best. No fires equals awesome prevention.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't see why you just don't go to www.usajobs.gov, and search firefighters and your zip code and see what is avaiable. Almost all the Navy Firefighters are cilvian service and it is DOD. Just an option.
    Tommy

VBFD Volunteer Support Tech.
    www.ovfd8.org

Moyock Fire Dept. - Firefighter
    www.moyockfd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kactiz View Post
    Im currently a volunteer FF, but would now like to take my training to the next level. I always wanted to join the military, I graduate from ITT tech in june but im just not into sitting behind a desk, i enjoy fire fighting. I would like some feedback on the different branches and what its like after AIT and Basic.

Any feedback would be great!
    Thanks
    Kurtis

I'm kinda in the same boat as Kurtis. Currently a volunteer, almost finished with my AS degree and i'll be starting the fire academy in august. I'm also looking into the military, would it be at my benefit for having prior training to land a job as a Fire Fighter in the Air Force you think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcgregor View Post
    ..... Heed this warning: Do not take the decision to serve lightly, joining the military has a lot more to it than getting some certs, the name on the left of the uniform means a hell of a lot more than the name on the right.
    Wow, please read this insightful comment again. It ain't about you or your ambition to become a firefighter.

The day I first thought about becoming a firefighter was the day I enlisted. I just happen to talk to the right recruiter. I was there to join the military, not pad a resume. After 20 years as an Army firefighter and former instructor at Goodfellow, I can tell you the military gives you EXCELLENT training and certifications. But if you think you're gonna sit on your *** in some station and just run calls, you're gonna be sorely disappointed. Every branch has it's upside and downside. Army and Marines expect you to be a soldier, first and foremost. Navy expects you to weld or have some other useful function. Air Force....well, they're the Air Force. That's enough of a stigma. The Coast Guard thinks they're soft.....lol. All kidding aside, they get their share of crap duty.

But regardless, don't be like the rest of the "me" crowd nowadays. If you join, they're going to make it pretty clear the mission at hand comes first, whatever that may be.
    Last edited by USArmyFF1; 05-29-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    "Life is tough, but it's even tougher when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Thread Information