Forum Member

Default Military Certifications

I'll try to make this quick...basically I am a current Air Force NAF employee and that allows me to take classes through the AFIADL. I am basically looking to get either in FF or Dispatching (anything to get my foot in the door). So I have some certs in Telecommunicator and HAZMAT Awareness, now starting on FF I/II, etc and wondering how the practical stuff gets tested? Also, is it possible for the Dept at my base to send me to the DOD FF academy if they have an interest?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondude View Post
    I'll try to make this quick...basically I am a current Air Force NAF employee and that allows me to take classes through the AFIADL. I am basically looking to get either in FF or Dispatching (anything to get my foot in the door). So I have some certs in Telecommunicator and HAZMAT Awareness, now starting on FF I/II, etc and wondering how the practical stuff gets tested? Also, is it possible for the Dept at my base to send me to the DOD FF academy if they have an interest?
    To answer your questions... I'll start with the last one. Unfortunately you will not be eligible to attend the Fire School at Goodfellow because you are not assigned to the Fire career field. The base department will not send anyone that is not assigned to the nor the Fire career field. The primary reason is that the school graduates a class every day and students are lining up to attend. Sending a non-firefighter would take a seat away from a firefighter.

Regarding the practicals, if you've taken the end of course exams for each respective subject, you might be able to sweet talk the Assistant Chief of Training at your base to allow you to perform your required practicals. After you pass the practicals, and the Assistant Chief of Training agrees to it, he or she can send the certification package to AFCESA for review and issuance of a DoD certificate. If you are in their system, getting the cert should not be a problem. If you are not in their system, either the Assistant Chief of Training or the Fire Chief may have to generate a letter justifying why you are submitting a certification package without being a DoD Firefighter.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input...so hypothetically, I could have every CERT from FF I/II to ARFF to HAZMAT OPER and I would only be considered educated in fire prevention until I got w/ an agency such as the Air Force that would be willing to hire me in as a GS-3 or 4 trainee and then send me to the academy and I become a 5 after graduation. Does that sound accurate?

Forum Member

the navy sometimes advertises gs-3/4 spots that are entry level ff positions. i believe (navy guys help me out), that once you are hired they send you to the academy... however, i am not 100% positive on that one.

Thread Information