Thread: Fd + Pd = Pso

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Fd + Pd = Pso

Just wanted to throw this question out there for anyone else outside of MI. This generally applies to mid/small cities, but here in MI we are seeing quite a few FD/PD combining to create PSO's. This is saving cities alot of money in the future, but is this really the answer?? I am fire at heart and cant see getting my pd education just to get a fire (pso) job. Anyone else seeing this trend???

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of what I've seen is that the PD positions are usually held by newer, younger guys. If I remember right, they carry their turnouts and other gear in the back of their patrol car. The Fire Departments themselves seem to be staffed by the veteran members of the department. This is just one example I heard about....

I figure, as long as response times are adequate and patient care doesn't suffer, I don't see any problems with it. If it isn't for you, then don't sign up.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a giant pile of bull**** cooked up by some half wit riding a desk in a city hall somewhere. All it will lead to is understaffed fire departments and understaffed police departments. You are asking someone to master far too many trades, I don't think 99.9% out there are capable of doing BOTH at a level that the citizens deserve. The IAFF is dead against this practice btw.

Forum Member

My department did that in the late 70's to mid 80's. It was a disaster. It destroyed our FD. Even today we are fighting the consequences of those actions. Every fire station in a city of 200,000 was staffed with a driver and a Captain. The city relied on cops responding to the scene as firefighters. Because our department got the job done with of those inadequate levels of staffing it is now impossible to get adequate levels of staffing. 20 yrs ago we had 2 people on an engine and 1 on a ladder. When we ask for additional staffing now we are constantly reminded of how fortunate we are to have 3 on a truck.

Your experience might be different, but I think it is a terrible ideal.

MembersZone Subscriber

It seems that with the PSO's I am familiar with, they place almost all their emphasis of law enforcement and the fire/ems part of their job is just an afterthought. I don't think the residents in these communities realize any perceived cost savings resulting from cross-training LE to FD is lost because the PSO system [often] results in training deficiencies, poor response capabilities, a lack of adequate public education and inspection programs, and even increased ISO ratings. It probably doesn't help that the perception amongst the public still is one where FF's just sit around all day, napping and watching TV, eating whatever they want on the taxpayers bill, while only having to do work when a big fire erupts. Of course that is not true, but many don't realize it.

Forum Member

PD + FD does not add up in my mind.

I'd rather see fire cooperate with suitable municipal technical services. And in our city disaster preparedness plan, the city has assigned technical services to conduct various rescue duties such as collapse rescue.

They were once called in during the bird flue thing and responded with 8 guys dressing up in protective clothing to pick up a dead bird, it turned out to not be carrying the H5N1 nor any other derivate of the virus, it died of entirely other causes. But a rather interesting experience demonstrating the capacity of the disaster plan.

I think there would be no big problem to have them aid with lots of things including water supply, evacuation, and with proper training- fire fighting and rescue. The city has quite many guys working at technical services. The fire vehicles are already used as needed for many non-emergency jobs including putting up anniversary flags and Christmas decorations using the departments bronto skylift.
    Last edited by bum291; 03-12-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Thread Information