Forum Member

To all of my fellow Army Fire Dogs, don't give up trying to apply for these jobs. I hate talking to some of the civilian Firefighters on post, and finding out that they were in the Air Force. It ticks me off to no end seeing a Airman taking a job from a soldier on a Army installation.

I, for one am a former Army Firefighter with 10 years experience and I to had a hard time applying for a firefighter position. I got my first break in 2008 (3 weeks before I left Iraq for good). I applied for anything and everything that I could in March of 08. I got a email saying that I had been "tenitively" selected for a security guard position as a GS-05 in Oregon. I accepted the job and the week that I was suppose to show up for work, I recieved a call from someone in personnel saying that they had a GS-06 position open in Utah. So I changed my mind and took it. While I spent my time there, I re-worked my resume 3 times. I then submitted it. I have since made the list for:

Fort Rucker,AL GS-05 (Turned it down due to personnel not knowing my exact pay after already being a GS-06)

Monterey, CA GS-07 (Bombed the interview- really nervous)

Fort Carson, CO GS-05 (Still waiting for a call- I moved to Utah from there)

Las Animas, CO GS-06 (Still waiting for a call)

Fort Huachuca, AZ GS-06 ( I didn't see that they needed HazMat Tech, but still mad the list)

Some other place in California ( I didn't see that they needed Wildland, still made the list)

and

Fort Bliss Texas GS-06 ( I accepted this one, and I'll be leaving Utah next month)

So please don't give up. I started applying in 2000, and landed a federal position in 2008.

No offense to any Air Force people, but d**n. Everytime I go onto the Air Force Civilian website and see a firefighter position at a base that I know (Air Force brat), the freak-n posting says " For Internal Air Force only" or something like that. And then when you go to CPOL and look for Firefighter positions, they hire a lot more Air Force people then Army.

What is that about?

Best of luck to everyone trying to get into a DOD position.

Forum Member

XFEDFF
    Thats really strange because when you go to DODffcert.com and lookup your certificates, it lists the certificate, the certificate number and lists the date that it was DOD CERTIFIED.

Forum Member

The Army uses Civilian Firefighters but the Air Force has enlisted and civilian Firefighters. The Air Force guy gets out of the service, has VA preference, is certified to DOD specs and experience. He looks good on paper and can applu for positions above entry level.

The Army guy gets out of the Army with Vets pref. but nothing else so they can only apply for entry level positions.

Forum Member

The certificate # refers to the IFSAC Seal number. There are a number of agencies and states that have been approved by IFSAC to teach courses. Once the student passes you get that cert it might be a Firefighter II certification issued by the state of Idaho or a Firefighter II cert issued by the DOD it does not matter it is a IFSAC cert if it has the gold seal and issue #

Forum Member

We are saying the same thing but you just overanalized my term a bit.

Thread Information