MembersZone Subscriber

Default Army Fire Dept Fort Rucker Alabama

I just received my notification that I was not selected for the GS-3 position of firefighter at Fort Rucker. It stated that I was not among the top selected and that I was not being considered.

Now I am a veteran, with 5 pt preference, and am not disabled in anyway. I was under the impression that this was "ENTRY" level and with 16 open positions, I was hopeful that I would get a call to be hired. I am getting very frustrated in the FEDEAL Hiring system and am about to give up on serving my country again in a civilian capacity. I along with other have served our country and I am sure I am not the only one who is being turned down... but when it says I am not among the top qualified for an "ENTRY" level position... it get me wondering what they are looking for. I am a firefighter already,a nd have EMT and HazMat training... if anyone has answers please write me back, and explain this.

I have and will always want to be a firefighter and will do nothing to stop this dream.

Thanks,
    Doug

Forum Member

Don't get too discouraged. There are many people applying for fire jobs, and the the selecting official doesn't get to see every name and resume of those who applied (I can only speak on the Army side of the house). On our last few opening the department I work for had over 400 people apply for a few positions. The Chief only saw about 50 names on the referral list. There is no telling how the regional civilian personnel office creates the list, but the Chief has to use this list to hire from.

There are quite a few openings in Army and DoD right now. My advice to anyone applying is to be flexible when applying for jobs. Go where the jobs are, don't wait for the local base to open a position, you may be waiting a while.

My final bit of advice is this....When you start, keep your mouth shut and your ears open. I see new firefighters come in with 4-8 years of line-standby experience come in the door and think that they should be company officers immediately and complain that they are only GS-07's. Many people have worked these jobs before us, and many will after us. The ones that are remembered are the hard workwers and the Sh*tbags. Which one do you want to be remembered as?

Now, before anyone bites my head off, just take what I wrote at face value. I was a 4 year Air Force fire guy, I have volunteered, worked in a rural paid department, a municipal department and currently work in an Army fire department in management (yeah, I know - I'm a bastard)...Like most AF guys and girls, I had little structural experience until I worked at a base with a heavy mutual aid agreement (Nellis AFB - Las Vegas). Truth be told, I'd almost rather hire a Marine or Army veteran and send them to the Academy. Many of them proved themselves in combat (read - shooting the enemy) rather than "deploying" to Al Udeid.

I'm off my soap box.....rip away!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advice sir... just to clear the air here... I am a former Navy Corpsman, and a current part-time paid firefighter in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio... I am one of those guys who sits back and takes it all in... I have schooled many a guy who "Knows" it all... I would rather learn more than be "taught" how things are done... if you know what I mean...

I am just really wanting to get in the DoD bad...and am willing to go anywhere... and I have applied all over... not much here in Ohio let me tell you.

Thanks again for the advice sir...much appreciated and will be taken to heart.

By the way... any openings at your base?

Forum Member

hey arffnick...can you explain something, im just trying to acquire some information about the process. Does an individual take the DOD classes (FF 1/2 etc.) and then go to the Academy? or are you supposed to go to the Academy first, and is it payed for by the Dept? Reason I ask is because Im taking the classes through my regular job and I was hoping I could sit down with the management at my local base and discuss going to the Academy through them.

Forum Member

Doug- if you are a vet and believe you may have been passed over, you should probably file an inquiry with your local elected (federal) official.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Cpo

Doug, What your message means it that your resume most likely didn't even make it out of the computer rating system. I would look and look again at your resume and the multitude of job listings in usajobs. Use the words in the job description but don't cut and paste. The computer picks up on certain super-secret key words when filtering out the thousands of applications for each announced position. Next, your veterans perference is a good thing but don't bank on it. Most folks applying for fed jobs have a 5 point (some even 10) so basically you are on a level playing field. Finally, even if it is listed as an entry level position, don't you think others will be applying just to get the foot in the door? A lot of those other applicants might very well have all of the certificates for GS-7 (and above), but still will take a 3 job knowing it is a start and they will get increases almost automatically. Think of it this way: as a hiring official, would you hire someone you are going to have to send to the DOD academy for basic firefighter and other requisite certifications for the full performance level, or would you prefer to hire someone who already has the certifications? My best advice to you: ask a current fed employee to look at your resume and offer suggestions to make it better and then go on base and meet the fire chief so he MIGHT remember a face if/when your resume gets to his desk. Make sure your resume is current for ALL branches of the military (they each have thier own websites and recruiting/hiring procedures). I know for a fact Navy SW Region is chronically short and are almost always begging for people. I hope this helps and if there is anything I can do to assist please don't hesitate to ask.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

FEDVVFAC,

Can i ask you to look at my resume and give me suggestions on how to make it more market friendly? Also I just received an e-mail from the assistant chief at china lake and he said my resume was under review...which i was happy about.

Any other info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Doug

Forum Member

If you are applying thru ARMY CPOL, you have to make it thru the RESUMIX selection. The system is designed to look for certain key words that are important to whoever wrote the job description.
    A GS-3 is basic entry. Every Joe off the street will apply for it from all over the U.S.. I'm sure they're were more than 16 veterans applying. Why not get your FF1 and FF2 certs then apply? That will give you the leg up over all the other non-certified applicants.

I am a NREMTP with 2 1/2 years exp as a Medic. I am a volunteer FF with 3 1/2 years of exp. I am trying to get in as a DoD civillian firefighter. Is there anything I can do shy of getting ny NPQ FF1 and FF2 that will up my odds? I dont have veterans preference, but I am scheduled in Feb to take the ACLS instructor course. I could sure use some help on this, yall. I will be willing to travel ( I live in Ga), but I cant go anywhere till next may ( my wife is in medic school).

Worldwide Menace

they may not even look at you without vets preference... sorry.. I've been rejected before because I forgot to attach my DD-214.

-Damien

Forum Member

Default 5 point vet

Not to stir the pot, but there are a lot of 5 point vets out there looking for jobs, so than kind of null and voids your 5 point status with other 5 pointers Appling for the same job with more certs. Since the war anyone who deploy over to Iraq or Afghanistan will automatically become a 5 point vet. Certs are a key to a lot of jobs. One more thing just look at some of these post on here you can get a lot of info from these guys who have been in the DOD system a while.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gamedic8571 View Post
    I am a NREMTP with 2 1/2 years exp as a Medic. I am a volunteer FF with 3 1/2 years of exp. I am trying to get in as a DoD civillian firefighter. Is there anything I can do shy of getting ny NPQ FF1 and FF2 that will up my odds? I dont have veterans preference, but I am scheduled in Feb to take the ACLS instructor course. I could sure use some help on this, yall. I will be willing to travel ( I live in Ga), but I cant go anywhere till next may ( my wife is in medic school).
    Yes. Get the following IFSAC/Pro-Board Certs:

-Fire I & II
    -Officer I
    -Inspector I
    -D/O Pumps
    -D/O Aerials
    -D/O ARFF
    -Haz Mat Tech

When you have all of the above,
    -Officer II
    -Inspector II

Having all of these certs will get you in the door faster than a 5 point vet who does not have them. You also have the potential to get hired at a larger pay grade.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's not forget BRAC...best of luck to anyone not already in the system because it's going to be hard as all heck to get in.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Yes. Get the following IFSAC/Pro-Board Certs:

-Fire I & II
    -Officer I
    -Inspector I
    -D/O Pumps
    -D/O Aerials
    -D/O ARFF
    -Haz Mat Tech

When you have all of the above,
    -Officer II
    -Inspector II

Having all of these certs will get you in the door faster than a 5 point vet who does not have them. You also have the potential to get hired at a larger pay grade.
    Hell, I have;

FF1&2
    ARFF
    D/O Pumper
    D/O ARFF
    D/O MWS
    Haz Tech (currently working on HazMat IC)
    Inspector I
    Instructor I
    Officer I
    FAR 139 Certified

5 vets preference points and licenses for almost everything in the USAF Fire inventory

and I'm still having a bitch of a time trying to get on full time.. best of luck to you though!

-Damien

Forum Member

Don't forget about EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Hell, I have;

FF1&2
    ARFF
    D/O Pumper
    D/O ARFF
    D/O MWS
    Haz Tech (currently working on HazMat IC)
    Inspector I
    Instructor I
    Officer I
    FAR 139 Certified

5 vets preference points and licenses for almost everything in the USAF Fire inventory

and I'm still having a bitch of a time trying to get on full time.. best of luck to you though!

-Damien
    i dont understand how your having a hard time getting on. are you not filling out your resumes "properly", you know, with all the KSAs and such so it doesn't get denied by the computer filters?

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    i dont understand how your having a hard time getting on. are you not filling out your resumes "properly", you know, with all the KSAs and such so it doesn't get denied by the computer filters?
    My resume looks good and I understand a job isn't going to be handed to me overnight. Right now I only have 2 applications out.. hoping to hear from either one soon.. I think what's killing me is not having my EMT-B.. a potential cross country move soon is what's keeping me from starting my EMT-B now.. I'll start my EMT-B shortly after I get an answer regarding the cross country move.

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok... here's a question for you.... How does one get IFSAC/PROBOARD Certs as a civilian... without being near a base to get your DoD ???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug7899 View Post
    Ok... here's a question for you.... How does one get IFSAC/PROBOARD Certs as a civilian... without being near a base to get your DoD ???
    If I was able to read this right. You need to go to a fire school that is IFSAC or PROBOAD certified. There are many schools around the U.S. Once you have those certs and when a DOD department hires you, then you covert them to a DOD cert. Most schools are IFSAC or PROBOARD. If you are in AL. I know there are many schools close to Ft. Rucker that are IFSAC. If you can not find a IFSAC school and all else fails go to google and surf the web...
    Last edited by panthers; 09-02-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Forum Member

Talking Another thought for training

Alabama Fire College is ProBoard and many of the DOD firemen from NAS Pensacola attend classes there as regulars. try to get on with a local fire department and usually you can get them to sponsor you to attend fire college. In Arkansas if you are a fireman either career or volunteer, you can go to school cost free with a department sponsoring you and they are an IFSAC academy so you can get your FF1 and FF2, Hazmat Ops and Awareness. After completing school there, attend Alabama Fire College, Texas A&M or TEEX for your ARFF and then you have all of the courses you need to be more competive. the last way to do it is go back into the air guard or Air Force Reserve, pick fire protection and go to Goodfellow for 3 months of fun filled firefighting training at one of the best schools in the world giving you DOD certs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug7899 View Post
    Dude, no offense, but haven't you and I gone over this several times over the past year or two?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes we have FWDbuff....just seeing who else actually reads these posts... I am trying for larger city depts now... Fed stuffs going no where... cant get a sponser and cant afford to take off work to go get the certs i need... thanks for all the advice...i have taken it all to heart...

Forum Member

As a previous poster said, "if your applying for a GS-3 entry level postion, there are more 10 point vets out there than positions needed so as a 5 pointer, you don't stand much of a chance. The only requirement as a 3 is, well, that your breathing pretty much. Ft. Rucker has alot of positions per each announcement due to the Stagefield locations. Most posting are for only 1-4 positions.
    As someone else also said, get FF 1 and 2 and Hazmat Awareness as a minimum. That won't get you ahead of veterans for a GS-3 slot but it will for a GS-4 if they aren't certified.
    think about how many people across the U.S. are applying for a couple of slots. Something has to make you better than them.
    For Federal positions, you don't need DOD certs. Proboard/NPQRS will work just fine.Go to Proboard.com and you can see what states are ProBoard certified and which certs they accept. I have been a FF/Paramedic in Florida for 19 years. florida just went ProBoard in 2001 but only for limited cets. Mine (1990) didn't get ProBoard until 2009.
    The ARMY RESUMIX system is all about keywords so the more words you put down, the more likely you will get thru RESUMIX. Don't put a bunch of BS in there because it will be hand verified afterwards.
    My wife has applied for over 100 posting on RESUMIX for a GS-4 entry level office assistant position. She has NEVER had an interview even though she has previous experience as a Medical office assistant and Insurance billing.Why? According the the Head Nurse, the top 20 candidates were all either veterans or Military spouses preference. We even had a retired Lt. Colonel apply last time(WTF).
    As far as non federal departments, well that varys State to State. In Florida, you have to have FF1 and 2, and EMT or your not eligible. Other states will take you basically breathing and they send you to their Acadamy. I just put in for DFW. Even though I have 13 years as an ARFF FF/Paramedic at one of the largest airports in the U.S., if selected I would have to attend the TEXAS academy again.
    Good luck, Your gonna need it. It's different than when I applied but the word is out!!

Forum Member

FIREMAN53d THERE ARE IS NO SUCH THING AS DOD CERTS! THERE ARE IFSAC CERTS ISSUED BY THE DOD.

I WOULD JUMP ON THAT NON-0081 SERIES PARAMEDIC JOB THAT YOU MENTIONED IN ANOTHER POST, CAUSE YOU ARE TOO OLD FOR A 0081 JOB

Forum Member

We are in the same process as you as far as working on getting into the DoD system. We just recently have started the applying process since my husband is still active duty. I wanted to comment though regarding Fort Rucker. We are stationed here and have been here for going on 4 years. The DoD began a rookie fire school here to hire within the city for DoD jobs. I dont know why this was done but they have had several classes go through already and they take their recruites from there. Apparently not many of them are making it through the school but this may be why hiring may not be so good out here right now.
    Thanks for the posts regarding filling out the apps. Its a confusing process and we already messed up one app by not doing it right so what you all said was helpful.

Kristina

Thread Information