Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FD Vehicle Maintenance

I just finished reading the article on Boston FD and the problems with under maintained vehicles. Just wondering if what has happened there with officers and FF with possibly no formal training in mechanics or vehicle maintenance is common on other depts. I would think that Boston FD and Boston City may be in for a helluva lawsuit from the deceased FFs family.
    If whats reported is true, then the relatively small savings in vehicle maintenance that may have been realised is certainly a small consolation to the FF family as well as the dept as a whole.

Banned

It would seem to me that if you want to drive the truck you should have at least an operator knowledge and skill set for the truck maintenance.

Although there are many gaps in the information provided, It appears that noone at the top levels of the dept took maintenance or driver training seriously.

One of the things I can understand-FFs reluctant to ask for repairs, for fear that their rig will be tied up for a long time. If the front line apparatus had this many problems, how bad were the spares? I can understand dealing with minor issues to avoid turning in the rig and getting a worse one back. I've been in that boat before.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 03-11-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It would seem to me that if you want to drive the truck you should have at least an operator knowledge and skill set for the truck maintenance.
    Wrong!!!!!!!!
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not a mechanic, but I do know that virtually any fleet operator will have an inspection, maintenance and repair program in place to ensure all vehicles in the fleet are safe and maintained by competent personnel. I'm not sure of laws in Mass, but many places require anything more than minor maintenance, e.g. fluids changed, tires changed, brakes adjusted be carried out by licensed mechanics. I find it hard to understand why vehicles that are called upon to save lives and operate at peak efficiency should not be properly looked after. I agree that not only the dept but the city of Boston should have some responsibility in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I believe the OP isn't talking about driver's having a "skill set", he is referring to the BFD staffing their maintenance facility w/ firefighters who were reportedly not mechanics.

Which is absolutely mind-boggling to me, if true.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is exactly what I meant. Whats even more mind boggling is that it appears City management, BFD Management as well as Union and rank and file FF seem to have accepted this.

Default misinfo

The report was commissioned by the city and was done in 2 days.Don't believe everything you read.The part about not reporting defects is totally made up and comical at best.I have forwarded numerous papers on apparatus problems that were never fixed because the person in charge of the pure strings(city appoinment) says NO. Her nickname is Ms. No.The city got rid of the mechanics many years ago. Another report they like to cite when bashing us is called the O'Toole report.This report,which is almost a decade old, recommended better maintenance but that section was ignored due to cost. The present admin, for whatever reason, historically low-balls the fire.

Forum Member

Default Savings????

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    If whats reported is true, then the relatively small savings in vehicle maintenance that may have been realised is certainly a small consolation to the FF family as well as the dept as a whole.
    Saving money on maintenance? Not spending the money for maintenance you say. Well if you take five minutes and do some very easy research as I did you will see the City of Boston F.D. spent almost three and a half million, yes thatís MILLION, on fleet maintenance last year. The exact amount is $3,423,919.52.

The salaries alone for the 15 members of the motor squad were $1,884,226.47. Not a typo, thatís over 1.8 MILLION in pay for 15 people. That works out to an average of $125,615.00 per person. The high was $173,163.88 and a low of $83,685.56.

On the outside vendor repair side they spent $1,539,693.05 to have 41 private companies do repairs the motor squad was either unable or unqualified to do.

Between the 38 engines, 30 aerials, 3 rescues, various support trucks, spare engines, ladders and rescues, Ford Crown Vicís and SUVís for the chiefs and other support staff the fleet is somewhere between 150 and 155 vehicles. Taking the high of 155 that is $21,948.00 spent per vehicle. These numbers do not include any of the new trucks the city purchased, just the repair and upkeep.

They are spending the money just not very efficiently.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate the update regards how much was spent, but the fact remains that there seems to have been a big downfall on maintence, inspection and repairs according to several articles. Perhaps the money was not spent efficiently which would bring this back to my primary point. Boston city management, from Mayor and Council, through City Manager, Fire Commissioner, Fire Chief and officers as well as rank and file seem to have dropped the ball. 3+ million $$ spent is scant comfort compared to the loss of Lt Kelley

[TE=tomwnh;1042550]Saving money on maintenance? Not spending the money for maintenance you say. Well if you take five minutes and do some very easy research as I did you will see the City of Boston F.D. spent almost three and a half million, yes thatís MILLION, on fleet maintenance last year. The exact amount is $3,423,919.52.

The salaries alone for the 15 members of the motor squad were $1,884,226.47. Not a typo, thatís over 1.8 MILLION in pay for 15 people. That works out to an average of $125,615.00 per person. The high was $173,163.88 and a low of $83,685.56.

On the outside vendor repair side they spent $1,539,693.05 to have 41 private companies do repairs the motor squad was either unable or unqualified to do.

Between the 38 engines, 30 aerials, 3 rescues, various support trucks, spare engines, ladders and rescues, Ford Crown Vicís and SUVís for the chiefs and other support staff the fleet is somewhere between 150 and 155 vehicles. Taking the high of 155 that is $21,948.00 spent per vehicle. These numbers do not include any of the new trucks the city purchased, just the repair and upkeep.

They are spending the money just not very efficiently.[/QUOTE]

Default northguy001

There's some bad info being posted here.We do not have 38 Engines,30 Trucks,3 Recues or even Crown Vics. What the poster hasn't told you is Firehouse maintenance costs are included in vehicle Maintenance budget. When you minus non-vehicle costs the total number of dollars decreases.

Thread Information