Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Great Idea!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Great Idea!

Lt at my station has been giving out some great advice to aspiring firefighters lately. The economic forecast is dismal, and many departments are trimming their budgets, as well as RIF's. Many departments probably won't be doing much hiring for at least two years or more. In the interim, you can join the Coast Guard. Sign up for several years, and earn your emt-p through them, to make yourself marketable. When you get out, there should be more jobs available, and you'll have your medic card, as well. Chances are, you would be on various waiting lists for about the same amount of time, anyway. How this works, exactly, I don't know. Call a recruiter to learn more.

Join the Coast Guard (or any service for that matter) for the sole purpose of getting your EMT and making yourself more marketable?

How about joining the Coast Guard (or any other service) for serving your country with honor?

Seeing comments like yours above helps me understand why there are guys joining the service and then refusing to do their sworn duty.

Join the service for the right reason.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I actually didn't know any branch of the military had actual paramedic certification.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know about the Coast Guard, but the Airforce PJ's do obtain National Registry EMT-P. PJ's are spec warfare though, so most people who become PJ's are in it for the long haul not just for the cert. I agree with the above post as well. I was in the Navy for four years and I didn't join for the college tuition or any of that mess. Yes, they are nice perks. But in order to get those perks you should be perfectly willing to answer the call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Join the Coast Guard (or any service for that matter) for the sole purpose of getting your EMT and making yourself more marketable?

How about joining the Coast Guard (or any other service) for serving your country with honor?

Seeing comments like yours above helps me understand why there are guys joining the service and then refusing to do their sworn duty.

Join the service for the right reason.
    Agreed 110%.

Thread Information