Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Im not sure if it was your intention or its just the way the sentence was worded and me having a really really long day, but it seems to imply that the FDNY has the B/U position as the officers position. The bosses dont have a position on the line here.

If I have the backup, and the boss tries to come between me and the nozzleman....hes going to have sore shins.
    I needed to make that a seperate paragraph before stating the FDNY manuels, my bad
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

We never have 3 on a line. If there is an officer or BU man, he should be at the last door or corner I went around, feeding line. That's not what the rules say or any manual, but that's what happens. I agree however that the last place would be tied to the or near the nozzle. He can't function well there.

Back In Black

We had a four man team. Two on the line, officer and 3rd guy searching off the line and helping the push (venting as they go and doing a primary search).

Truck company operations (even though we have an aerial) are done by the engines as the truck rolls after the engines to most of our fires (all coming out of one house).
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Default Captain's spot

On a 2 or 3 person interior attack team, our Captain goes 2nd behind the nozzle person. This is so he/she can see what is going on and direct the attack. We like the more junior FF to be on the nozzle where the Captain can guide him/her. If there is a 3rd on tha attack team, he/she will be at the door to control the stretch and chase kinks if needed. From a Truck point of view with a 3 person crew, the Captain goes interior w/ one other FF and the 3rd FF is utilities and OVM. If we choose to go for vertical ventilation, the Captain is 2nd on the roof with another FF, while the 3rd member controls the ground ladder, operates the apparatus, or goes for utilities. Situation dictates when running with minumum and/or below minumum standards. When the companies were fully staffed, we had the luxury of assigning different duties to different teams of members on the same apparatus. But, now with minimum or less staffing we have to collectively chose which task we are all going to attack together. With a 3 man Engine, a back up line is not an option unless if or until another company arrives. With a 3 man Truck, we cannot split into vent and interior teams. we either all go to the roof and foresake searching or we all go interior and foresake ventilation. We have to make choices and our hands are really tied.

Forum Member

Underneith their white helmet!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information