Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default does anyone know if CAL FIRE is going 4 or 3?

im just wondering if anyone knows if cal fire is going to run 4 on the engines or 3

MembersZone Subscriber Paddiegrunt's Avatar

Calfire is budgeted for 4 men per engine but they also have to cut their budget by 10.5% So it may be some 4 and others are 3
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

ask username CALFFBOU he is a captain for them (cal firefighter bou)

CALBOU has left cal fire, but still maintains some good contacts. Last I heard is that they were seeking the money to increase from 3 to 4 per engine, but I would expect that it will stay 3 per shift and bump up during busy periods and red flag conditions.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    CALBOU has left cal fire, but still maintains some good contacts. Last I heard is that they were seeking the money to increase from 3 to 4 per engine, but I would expect that it will stay 3 per shift and bump up during busy periods and red flag conditions.
    really? huh, i havent seen him on here lately too.

Forum Member

Default CalFire staffing

MMU is being told 3/0 staffing until things start to pop. Once fire season becomes a priority, we may see an increase in staffing. Currently, they are laying off some Limited term people from both sched B and A until the new fiscal year and are really trying to tighten things up. I am being cut at the end of this pay period and will be hunting a job.

Forum Member

Hey, if anybody hears anything one way or the other, feel free to pass it along.

He's around just busy with other stuff. He took a promotion in a differant agency. He's a good hand to have around. He has insight into California fire agency hiring and helps a lot of people.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Big white dog is correct. Sounds like all units are running the same idea. Increase staffing with increase in fire.

Forum Member

Fortech, is that a "we plan to increase staffing to 4-0 once we're getting busy" or a "we might increase staffing to 4-0 after we get caught with our pants down by a lightning bust"?

Forum Member

Cal Fire will most likely stay 4-0 this year, after it was implemented by arnie last summer. Despite California's budget crisis, the governor has not (yet) cut any operational resources in public safety. He has promised not to, and so far so good.

Cal Fire is being directed to cut 10.4% of its budget. This will not come in the form of reducing seasonal employees, but instead cutting admin positions in north ops, south ops, and sacramento, not renewing the DC 10 contract, and closing down stations and camps deemed obsolete due to population and call volume.

These are all suggestions, and nothing is official, but chances are 4-0 will remain implemented. There is however a hiring freeze being discussed which would significantly reduce the amount of available new seasonal positions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapinjoe View Post
    Cal Fire will most likely stay 4-0 this year, after it was implemented by arnie last summer. Despite California's budget crisis, the governor has not (yet) cut any operational resources in public safety. He has promised not to, and so far so good.

Cal Fire is being directed to cut 10.4% of its budget. This will not come in the form of reducing seasonal employees,

Actually, many Lt spots (such as mine) across the state are being cut to try and meet the 10%.

Thread Information