MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hazardous Devices

Good Intent Call Generates Bomb Squad Activity
    "At about 10:30 AM, Friday, March 13, 2009, a refuse collection crew discovered what appeared to be two pipe bombs in materials that were left on a curb. Subsequently, after notifying 911, the Prince Georgeís County Fire/EMS Departmentís Bomb Squad was dispatched to the 1900 block of Page Court in the Pointer Ridge section of Bowie."
    Courtesy PGFEMS

What agency is responsible for investigating and mitigating suspected hazardous devices (i.e. pipe bombs) in your area?

Does your department have any guideline for the actions and support that suppression companies will give? If not, what would be your sizeup and actions when assigned to, or arriving at, a alarm that has a suspected hazardous device?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well, Yes................

The way it works here is that we...... well..... uhh.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I'm not aware of any fire department in this state that handles bombs or explosives. It is a law enforcement function. The big cities usually have their own bomb squads, The state police ESU team has a bomb squad, and the FBI field office has a bomb team as well.

More power to them. I'll go up the road and block traffic.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post Well.............

Bill kinda overlooked a point......... The Maryland State Fire Marshall's Bomb Squad handles EOD Business, Statewide. I'm guessing that folks in Maryland must think that Bombs are too dangerous to let the police fool with it......... Just Kidding, of Course, but we do see most Bomb work done by Fire Based teams here in Maryland.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Let's talk fire trucks!

I know that Newport News, VA's EOD is FD-based, and I believe that Alexandria's might be also? Not positive on the latter.

Like a lot of places, the larger PD's have their own EOD teams, but for the most part, the State Police handles it here in Virginia.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Bill kinda overlooked a point......... The Maryland State Fire Marshall's Bomb Squad handles EOD Business, Statewide. I'm guessing that folks in Maryland must think that Bombs are too dangerous to let the police fool with it......... Just Kidding, of Course, but we do see most Bomb work done by Fire Based teams here in Maryland.
    Isn't the MSFMO run by the State Police? Last one I interviewed had an office in a MSP station.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

In the case of a suspected "hazardous device", we contact the Massachusetts State Police Hazardous Devices Unit, aka "the bomb squad". While they are state troopers, they work under the auspices of the State Fire Marshal and the Department of Fire Services, as do the MSP's Arson Investigation Unit.

They have the all the toys from loveable Labrador Retrievers (whose tails are also known to be "hazardous devices when wagging! ) to the "Wall-E" robots to search for these things.

My FD's response is 2 engines, a ladder, a rescue and the Deputy Chief to stage at least 100 yards away and wait until something happens.. either the device is found and rendered harmless or it goes "boom".
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-15-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

tampa pd has the only bomb squad in the tampa bay area.

Forum Member

Police have ESU/bomb squad guys check package out.

Fire dept sends a Bn Chief - 2 engines - 1 ladder - Rescue Company. All F.D units stage about 2 blocks, or at an area specified by PD, away. EMS will generally send a BLS unit depending on work load at the time.

Forum Member

Don't know of any fire based EOD in MI, we have Detroit PD, MI State Police, and military in my area. My dept sends an Engine to stage nearby for Fire/EMS-no search/handling of devices permitted by FD personnel.

I have a Marine in my reserve unit who is a FF/Bomb tech in Cincinatti, OH. He tells me they have an engine co. with additional role of providing EOD.

Ontario, CA, FD runs a bomb squad, saw it with my son on "There goes a fire truck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Local law enforcement contacts the State Police and they waltz in and do what they do... Most of the time, we sit back at a distance, completely left out of the loop, blah, blah, blah.... We pack up and go home when we see the State boys go...
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, I did not answer the original post...Here goes....(Not what we do but what we SHOULD do)

Local law arrives ahead of fire units most of the time.

First engine and officer should establish a perimeter. Additional units should do the same at a stage point with EMS.

Size up should include accounting for occupancy in place and within perimeter (law enforcement included).

Identify possible travel approaches in case of explosion. Where will we position? Water source? Possible fire load-Do we need M/A on standby?

Identify (not investigate)possible secondary explosive sources (cars, packages, dumpsters, equipment, ect.). Notify law enforcement of findings. Maybe they will check and mitigate.

In case of explosion- Weigh possibility of secondary devices against lives in the immediate area of explosion. If this is possibly a terrorist (home or foreign) target then be cautious in moving in for casualties and suppression.

As always, we are equally responsible in keeping an eye out for suspicious behaviour amongst people at the scene.

NO ONE should be in the Hot zone without a real good reason to be there in the first place.

(We have packed up before and gone into a building on a phone in threat to sweep for employees who potentially didn't get the memo to evacuate. PROBABLY not a shining star moment for our department.)

Maybe I'm paranoid...But taking precautions does tend to keep me alive.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

MembersZone Subscriber

in my corner of the world, only one FD around here takes care of that kinda stuff. Olathe Fire Dept I believe is one of the few fire depts that handles EOD and bomb stuff for their area.
    Your a daisy if you do.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Uhhhh.........

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Isn't the MSFMO run by the State Police? Last one I interviewed had an office in a MSP station.
    The correct Answer is Yes. And No. MSFMO is one of a number of Agencies under the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, which is a "Cabinet Level" organization within State Government. MSP is another. However, they are both "Free Standing" Organizations In that the State Fire Marshall and the Superintendent of State Police both report to the Secretary of the DPS&CS. Although the State Fire Marshall and his Deputies are Sworn Personnel, they are not State Troopers. MSFMO shares space in a number of Police Facilities around the State, and they also have some offices in other Agency's buildings. The State has Fuel and Fleet Services that are multi jurisdictional as well, so FM cars are seen Fueling at MSP Pumps too......
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-16-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Minor Technical Adjustment.......... Acronym Repairs......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information