Default New Junior Need advice

Ello everyone,

First some background: I'm a new junior at my department I just got my turnout gear and one of my two pagers last week. Have been wanting to be a firefighter all my life and a junior since I was eligible to be one at 15 didn't have the grades though. Well last summer I guess you could say I had an epifiany and deceied what was important in my life and good grades so I could be a part of the junior program at my department was one of them.

Anyways I had come home from all that and later that week made a comment to my folks about after completing fire school and turning 18 and graduating later this year that I would have to leave sometimes for a call at 3 am.

Well that ****ed them off a bit and I am now to the point were I just don't talk to them about anything fire service related.

My mom thinks its rediculus to be leaving at 3 in the morning ( and I have yet to point out that it would be because I have to go help someone) and my dad openly said that he'd be worried although he makes much less of a bigger deal about it and I did point out that danger is part of the job.

Does anyone have any clever whit I could use to calm them down or point out that its not like I'm leaving at 3 am to go do something stupid? I'm at the point were I could be sleeping in the basement all summer so they don't hear my minitor activate and me leave..

Thanks all

Forum Member

Cool

Tell them if it was there house burning would they want people responding from their own homes at 3 in the morning.Then I'd tell 'em that i'm on call 24/7-365,and 100% volunteer.

Forum Member

1. If you manage to graduate from high school with the english and spelling skills that you demonstrated through that post, I weep for the future of this country, and damn your teachers and school system to an eternal hell of failure.

2. You will be 18 years old. You will be a legal adult, and have no obligation to tell them where you are going and when you are going there. Tell Mom that when emergencies begin to submit schedules, you will be sure to circulate her a copy.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I think your mother is under the impression you will be her little boy living at home in your little bedroom for the rest of your life. You'll be out and about late at night long before you are done with fire school. She'll get over it and it won't be her choice in the matter.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

While sometimes i dont agree with what my parents think or what they tell me to do, i still do it. Its an order from someone who has control over my life. How long will it be before you start disobeying the chief or a captain because you dont think that what they are telling you to do is fun or cool? I do think that its good to go out and help people but i also feel that a junior should not be responding that late at night especially if it means that you will be missing school. When you turn 18 you can do what you want, you can stay out all night if it floats your boat, but untill then i think that a junior firefighter should have some rules. My department has quite a few actually for me to follow. I cant leave school for ANY call, I cant go out after 10pm on school nights, I cant respond to the scene on my own in my car (actually state law), and im not supposed to be in the station without another member.
    Some of my friends are on fire departments that have less rules and they think they are the coolest guys out there because they get to leave school, and drive around with lights on their car, they leave their pagers on scan to see if they are getting called out, they skip school to sit at the station and wait for calls. They are also the ones who are failing most of their classes. Just some things to think about.

Our program doesn't allow us to leave school and I and the others here don't carry pagers here so as to advertise being a member. At any rate she wasn't so much ****ed about me being in trouble so much as waking her up at that hour. go figure. thanks for the advice fellas.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by svfd930 View Post
    Tell them if it was there house burning would they want people responding from their own homes at 3 in the morning.Then I'd tell 'em that i'm on call 24/7-365,and 100% volunteer.
    Good point, but also remember, as long as your living under their roof with your feet under their table, you have to somewhat follow their rules.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

In most states if you are still in school and considered a junior ff you can not respond after 2200 hrs on school nights or during school hours be cause of truincy laws.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renomed13 View Post
    In most states if you are still in school and considered a junior ff you can not respond after 2200 hrs on school nights or during school hours be cause of truancy laws.
    Yep my dept. follows those same laws/ rules. i dont necessarily think that its the law in Maine, but MANY departments follow them.

Forum Member

FWDbuff is very correct with your his statement. You aren't a child anymore, you need to man up and flat out explain to them the situation.

Forum Member

well, if your 18, why not just become a firefighter? And if you really need advice on how to talk to your parents. How would you talk to a chief or captain?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    well, if your 18, why not just become a firefighter? And if you really need advice on how to talk to your parents. How would you talk to a chief or captain?
    He isn't 18 yet. As said in his first post he is turning 18 and enrolled in a Jr. program training to become a firefighter. But on the other note, its a tough call for him. He's kinda in the crossroads of doing what he wants or listening and obeying his parents rules and preferences. I think he should try and talk to his parents about how much it means to him and that he is going to be a adult and come to some sort of agreement with his parents, Ex. Maybe a agreement on when and what types of calls are worthy of leaving at 3 A.M. for. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYexp6012 View Post
    He isn't 18 yet. As said in his first post he is turning 18 and enrolled in a Jr. program training to become a firefighter. But on the other note, its a tough call for him. He's kinda in the crossroads of doing what he wants or listening and obeying his parents rules and preferences. I think he should try and talk to his parents about how much it means to him and that he is going to be a adult and come to some sort of agreement with his parents, Ex. Maybe a agreement on when and what types of calls are worthy of leaving at 3 A.M. for. Good luck.
    thanks for clearing that one up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    Some of my friends are on fire departments that have less rules and they think they are the coolest guys out there because they get to leave school, and drive around with lights on their car, they leave their pagers on scan to see if they are getting called out, they skip school to sit at the station and wait for calls. They are also the ones who are failing most of their classes. Just some things to think about.
    You will find out later in life those guys will be doing the same things when they are 25 years old and you will call them WACKERS not cool.
    Totally Unacceptable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not sit down with your mother and try to figure out the source of her concern? Sure you can pull the "I'm almost 18, I can do what I want"-card but that may not do anything but drive a bigger wedge between you and your folks. If you sit down with her and discuss it like an adult you may be better off. Explain that this is important to you, that you'll be helping others, and the community. Explain all the training you're going through to learn how to do things safely. Explain the difference between a Junior FF and how it provides an opportunity for you to learn in a safe manner before you're thrown into dangerous situations. Finally, take them to the station, give them a tour. Have them meeting some of the other guys and the chief. Their fears may be reduced if they can put faces to what you're doing.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Talking

voyager 9 has a great point....my whole 100% volunteer and house burning his just my opinion on it.My dad is the fire chief so I aint gotta worry about my parents getting mad....my dad,me,my brother,uncle,step-mom,aunt,and mamaw are all with my dept.

So when the tones drop my house empties....the dog is all that stays behind.

Before you ask we do have to take two vehicles.

Forum Member

Not to rehash this old thread, but what is the difference between calls at 3PM and 3AM? Do emergencies decide to be worse at night?
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT
    Valley Grove Vol. Fire Department

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Professional in either role.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB304 View Post
    Not to rehash this old thread, but what is the difference between calls at 3PM and 3AM? Do emergencies decide to be worse at night?
    There is no difference. But IMO if your in school, no matter your age, that should be your priority. There is no need for a Junior to respond at 3 or 4 am to a call when they have to be in school the next day. The trucks are going to go and the calls will be dealt with regardless if they are there or not. On a friday or saturday night or during the summer months I say knock yourself out. I know full well what it's like to go to those 4am calls and have to sit through math or biology the next day. Not fun.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Sorry about that ND, I agree with your statement completely and didn't mean to contradict it (if I did). I'm just curious as to why his parents feel that his calls are going to be more hazardous at 3AM vs. other times of the day.
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Forum Member

Sorry about that ND, I agree with your statement completely and didn't mean to contradict it (if I did). I'm just curious as to why his parents feel that his calls are going to be more hazardous at 3AM vs. other times of the day.
    Seen. My bad.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Some states restrict hours of response time because of child labor laws. I know we didn't find out until recently that any member under the age of 18 cannot respond between 2100 and 0600. Nor can they have any sort of lights in their vehicle either.

Back when I was a Junior (before we found out about the Labor Laws) I used to just leave without telling my parents. When they asked me about where I went I would tell them I went on a fire call that turned out to be BS (wires down, pump details, fluid spills, etc) to keep them calm thinking we rarely went out to anything dangerous. When I got older, and about my senior year in high school, I began to tell them the truth about the nature of the calls. However, now looking back, I wish I hadn't gone out to calls on school nights. My grades suffered because of spending 3 or 4 hours at a structure fire, coming back home, sleeping for an hour, and then getting up to go to school. School comes first, don't jeopardize your future and make the same mistakes I did. There will always be more calls for you to go on. School and family come first, don't ever forget that.

Forum Member

Yeah, but don't stress out over school too much - college is where it's at. Unless you plan to enter the work force immediately after high school, I wouldn't obsess over getting a perfect GPA.
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Forum Member

Yeah, but don't stress out over school too much - college is where it's at. Unless you plan to enter the work force immediately after high school, I wouldn't obsess over getting a perfect GPA.
    However, if you don't take high school seriously, there will be no college in your future...
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

Forum Member

I don't think anyone is advocating requiring a 4.0GPA to be a junior/explorer. But if your dragging your feet with C's, D's, and F's, it is time to re-evaluate your priorities.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I don't think anyone is advocating requiring a 4.0GPA to be a junior/explorer. But if your dragging your feet with C's, D's, and F's, it is time to re-evaluate your priorities.
    Really! Why would you tell a kid don't worry about grades? What a dumb statement. Most FDs dig pretty deep into your background. As a firefighter/EMT you should be setting an example. Excel at everything you do. You should never give less than your best.
    FF/Paramedic

Thread Information