MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question about Arizona jobs

Hey.
    So my job search has expanded to the great state of Arizona. My questions concern certs. Here goes:

Almost every AZ dept I can find requires AZ FFII. I'm guessing that AZ FFII is a more advanced level than AV FFI...is this correct or is backwards?

My state does NFPA certs. I have my NFPA FFI. Any idea what this transfers to?

Thanks a lot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Huh?

Any certs you get have to be compliant with NFPA 1001. Here's my question: What certifying angency issued your FF1? I know AZ accepts IFSAC. I don't know about IFSTA. Phoenix(though they are on a hiring freeze)doesn't require FF1 or FF2 to apply, though it doesn't hurt to have it. but I'm pretty sure all AZ departments require at least EMT-B to before starting the academy, so it would definately be a good idea to check that out too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Phoenix will be taking apps sometime around august for an october test. The next academy will be late march. That is the newest timeline, which could change.

Phoenix doesn't require FF1, just EMT and CPAT by the time of interviews... unless the rules changed, you can still take the written if you haven't completed those two requirements. You get your FF1 and 2 after the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rbbehemoth View Post
    Phoenix will be taking apps sometime around august for an october test. The next academy will be late march. That is the newest timeline, which could change.

Phoenix doesn't require FF1, just EMT and CPAT by the time of interviews... unless the rules changed, you can still take the written if you haven't completed those two requirements. You get your FF1 and 2 after the academy.
    Thats interesting, according to thier website the next Firefighter Recruit test is tentatively scheduled for early 2010. That must have just changed because I spoke with someone from HR several weeks ago and she said early 2010 also.

MembersZone Subscriber

The newest info I heard from a reliable source involved with hiring told me the dates changed with an academy start date of march 22. Those who already had a first interview will have a second interview with the group of candidates who take this next test. I was also told this could change at any time, but hopefully it happens. The website will probably be updated once these dates are official.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rbbehemoth View Post
    The newest info I heard from a reliable source involved with hiring told me the dates changed with an academy start date of march 22. Those who already had a first interview will have a second interview with the group of candidates who take this next test. I was also told this could change at any time, but hopefully it happens. The website will probably be updated once these dates are official.
    The candidates currently in the interview process are from the last test correct. Correct me if am wrong, but for those candidates to remain eligible do they have to retest this next time to remain eligible in the case that they were not hired after having a second interview. Thanks for the info!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another couple questions...

Another couple of quick questions for anyone in the know....

Does phx give any preference to medics? Anyone know if they hire equal amounts of basics and medics? It seems to me that they run ALS engines, do they also have transporting medic units? Finally, can anyone offer insight as to what its like working as a medic for them?

Thanks a bunch.

MembersZone Subscriber

NNFRA,
    You are correct, if they don't pass the second round of interviews they are done, so it would be smart to take this next test to stay in the game. However, I haven't heard if there will be more than one academy in 2010.

CObasic,
    Phoenix doesn't give extra points to paramedics, but it might help you because the city will save money by not having to send you to paramedic school. Most academy classes are all EMT's with maybe a few being medics. Out of approx 1800 FF's approx 600 are medics.

By sometime next year every engine will be ALS (2 medics 2 emts), and every rescue ambulance will be staffed with 1 ff/medic 1 ff/emt. After probation you are required to be on the rescue for a certain amount of time, and after that you never have to work on an ambulance again unless it's OT. Ladders are all BLS.

MembersZone Subscriber

rbbehemoth,

Would you happen to know the tentative dates in August, when applications will be accepted and in October for the testing. Also, does phx allow ride alongs. I appreciate all the info! Thanks!

Thread Information