MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Question Gear washer/dryer grant...???

Hi, gang, looking for some input here...I'm kicking around some ideas for our 2009 AFG application, and I'm considering going for a turnout gear washer/dryer and gear storage racks. We are an all-volunteer department with around 30 active members, run approx. 350-400 calls per year (around 75% medical). So we handle approx. 100+ calls a year that require turnout gear, such as fires and MVA's.

We are about to start construction on a new main station...the property is being prepared and we hope to begin actual construction around mid to late year. I'd like to be able to get this equipment for the new station. So my questions are:

-To you grant gurus out there:

1) Regarding buying equipment for a station that has not yet been built...should this hurt our chances, help, or not be a factor? If we get lucky and get a grant in the early rounds, and the station isn't finished yet, can we buy the equipment and store it until we're ready for it?

2) We are about to purchase new turnout gear for about half of our members (I briefly considered asking for this on the grant, too, but we need it now...we really can't afford to wait until next year). I think I already know the answer, but would this be a good thing to mention in the grant narrative (about to purchase new gear, need to be able to take care of it)?

3) If any of you has written a successful grant for washer/dryers, what NFPA standards did you cite to support your project?

4) Would gear racks also be a legit request? We have neither washer nor storage racks at our current station.

-For the rest of you:

1) Any recommendations regarding brands? Features? Capacity? I really don't know anything about washer/extractors, so any advice would be appreciated.

2) As I stated, this will be in a brand new station that is still in the design phase. What special provisions should we make in anticipation of this equipment? I should note that even if we don't get the grant this year, we still definitely want to have a spot already prepared for the equipment, so we can always get it later. So what do we need to do in construction to allow for this?

3) Basides the gear washer/dryer and the storage racks, can anyone suggest any other related items that might fit with this project? Could I include a supply of whatever detergent is to be used for washing? Any other general items relating to PPE that would be a good addition to this request?

All input is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 03-15-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief,

The project you propose in itself is a fundable project. Protecting and properly storing your investment in PPE is important. IMO the rub will be with the new construction. The workshop pointed out that building modifications for buildings constructed 2003 and later will not be funded. The rational is that modifications should have been part of the construction process. I think the same would apply here. I would think a PR would question “why” was this was not included as part of the construction, at least the lockers.

If this is your greatest need, then go for it. What could happen....the AFG funds it.

Check the following NFPA standards for the project:

NFPA 1500

NFPA 1851

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't recall a point where age of station is discussed or entered into a grant application. Assuming your new station falls thru can you find some spot to locate a gear washer and dryer rack? Obviously a smart guy could make it work out some way. Rack is easy, put it where you currently hang your gear.

Plumbing for a washer and electrical for both should logically be installed, or at least planned for, with new station. Washer, dryer, racks are equipment not built/fixed part of station so how could the "since 2003" thing apply.

Forum Member

Neiowa, this was brought up at the DHS seminar about station age and the department being required to meet it on any station that was built after 2003. I think it was mainly referring to exhaust systems and generators, but could cover all equipment for the building.

Forum Member

The 2003 issue is only for Modifications of Facilities awards.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    IMO the rub will be with the new construction. The workshop pointed out that building modifications for buildings constructed 2003 and later will not be funded. The rational is that modifications should have been part of the construction process. I think the same would apply here. I would think a PR would question “why” was this was not included as part of the construction, at least the lockers.
    Thanks for the input. To clarify, I wasn't going to include any of the station prep (plumbing, electric, etc.) in this grant project. That was all going to be figured into the cost of the station. So technically the grant would not be covering any station modifications, only the equipment. The station is being built, with the necessary plumbing, etc., whether we get the washer this year or not.

I don't recall a point where age of station is discussed or entered into a grant application. Assuming your new station falls thru can you find some spot to locate a gear washer and dryer rack? Obviously a smart guy could make it work out some way. Rack is easy, put it where you currently hang your gear.
    We don't have any racks now or anywhere to hang our gear. Most guys carry them in their POV's in bags, a few have McGyvered various hooks, pegs, etc. here and there at the station, but nothing permanent. It's very messy, and really a pretty tight squeeze for purchased racks. We'll have more room at the new station, so we should be able to get things a lot neater.

Thanks again for the input.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a grant last year awarded in the first round for storage racks and a washer. I you would like to see the narrative let me know. You can email me at movillevfd@netins.net

Forum Member

I am putting in for a washer/extractor and drying cabinet this year. In the application there is the option for washer/extractor but not an option for the dryer. Should I list the total cost of both under the washer/extractor and explain it in the narrative or use the "other" option for the dryer and list in detail what I am requesting? Thanks for any information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hfdfiremedic32 View Post
    I am putting in for a washer/extractor and drying cabinet this year. In the application there is the option for washer/extractor but not an option for the dryer. Should I list the total cost of both under the washer/extractor and explain it in the narrative or use the "other" option for the dryer and list in detail what I am requesting? Thanks for any information.
    Use "Other" with detail.

Forum Member

That is how I initially entered it but was having doubts as to that being the best way to list it. Thanks for the reply!!!

Thread Information