Default Question on turnout gear

Thanks in advance. I have a couple of questions about bunker gear. First is my department has tried for 3 years to receive funding to replace our current turnouts. They do not meet standards and are handme downs from neighboring departments. We have asked for roughly $40,000 to replace 20 sets.
    We have not even been through the computer round yet. We have had many people review our grant and everyone that has felt like it should go through.
    My first question is are we asking for to much for a department that only responds to about 50-60 calls/year with an average budget of $25,000/year
    And finale is the $2000 a set to much for the allowed price for the turnouts.
    Thanks again as our department badly needs this equipment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire160 View Post
    Thanks in advance. I have a couple of questions about bunker gear. First is my department has tried for 3 years to receive funding to replace our current turnouts. They do not meet standards and are handme downs from neighboring departments. We have asked for roughly $40,000 to replace 20 sets.
    We have not even been through the computer round yet. We have had many people review our grant and everyone that has felt like it should go through.
    My first question is are we asking for to much for a department that only responds to about 50-60 calls/year with an average budget of $25,000/year
    And finale is the $2000 a set to much for the allowed price for the turnouts.
    Thanks again as our department badly needs this equipment.

Our department is also applying for bunker gear this year. $2000 per set is not an outrageous price. I have been pricing gear, $2000 will hardly by you pants and coat. If you need Nomex hoods, boots, gloves or helmets; you are looking out the price to increase to up around $2800 or $3000. Supposedly your call volume is not that much of an issue if your need is great enough (as per AFG workshops). Firefighter safety is the greatest issue here. It also depends on the age and condition of your existing gear, and if all of your personnel have the appropriate gear for protection.

I can't see where your cost on gear is out of line. I applied and was awarded for PPE in 2004 and at that time my cost proposal was roughly $1800. per set and I asked for 54 sets. If you would like I can email you my narrative that I used for you to look at or I would be happy to take a look at yours and offer any pointers I see to help you be successful this year. droberts16@cinci.rr.com Thanks, Darrell

MembersZone Subscriber

Default turnout gear

Hey guys, I'm new to the group, yet have gone through Kurt's program. Looking for help determining when dept can apply for replacement turnout gear. Also, how is each part considered under AFG: pant, coat, hood, boots, helmet? Can we apply for all or just pant, coat, and hood?

Thread Information