MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vehicle order/award clarification

We are preparing for a vehicle application this year. For the gurus, please read the following excerpt from the 2008 guidance document:

Vehicles contracted for or otherwise purchased prior to the end of the established application period are not eligible for funding.

Does this mean that as long as the vehicle was contracted for after the close of the application period and an award is granted you can accept the award to pay for that vehicle? This is contrary to what I have been told previously regarding PPE and equipment. In those categories, if the equipment was ordered prior to award, then the award cannot pay for that equipment.

Please clarify. Thanks, as always, for your help.
    NCVFC17

Forum Member

The gurus can chime in here to give you a definite, but it was my understanding after reading the guidance in the past, that you must wait till after your official notification of award before you can make a purchase on anything, unless your poc for the program will approve an emergency purchase that was signed after the end of the application period, and before the official award notification. But I am not a guru, and its only my two cents worth.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You're on it Derrick.

Basically that excerpt means that you can't order or buy a truck before or during the application period and then use the money to pay for the truck you ordered. Since you sign a contract to buy a truck, that means you'll pay for it no matter what, meaning you have the money somewhere already so the grant doesn't need to pay for that one.

If you do order a truck it also has to be claiming on the application, just like anyone awarded a 2008 vehicle award has to claim a 1 year old vehicle on their applications in 2009 even if it hasn't been delivered yet.

Equipment can be done on an emergency purchase basis as Lime mentioned after making a request and proving that the situation has to be rectified immediately. They really only approve these for PPE and SCBA. Done it a few times with no problems, like one department that fought a farm fire and had 15 sets contaminated with fertilizer and couldn't be deconned. DHS gave approval to purchase and then they paid themselves back with the grant award. I don't see them doing the same on a truck unless the only truck of a type someone had was wrecked.

MembersZone Subscriber

So the clear definition of the application period means from the time they open up the on line application all the way through the time that the last award of the last $1 is made?
    NCVFC17

Forum Member

I know of a department that signed a contract for a vehicle after submitting their application and prior to their award. They said that their need was urgent and DHS approved for them to use the grant funding to pay for the vehicle they had on contract. Some of them do make it through, but there is no way our department could take that chance.

Kelly

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I know a lot that could based on age, but they couldn't afford the whole thing so can't take the chance of signing the contract and not being able to pay. I'm sure there have been more than a few that have been approved to order after 1199As showed.

Forum Member

Here's the better question:

If you can afford to contract it before an award, what is your financial need?

Forum Member

wouldn't that surplanting funds in a way since the money you would have set aside prior to award would be reallocated once the award money would be granted.

Thread Information