MembersZone Subscriber

Default Critique my oral board questions please.

Well I've made it through both the written and physical portions of the hiring process doing well on both. My oral board interview is this saturday and I want to make sure that I'm fully preparer. Any criticism is welcome and appreciated.

1. Tell us about yourself.
    My name is _______. I grew up in _______and lived there until 20, when I bought my own home in ______where I currently live with my girlfriend ________. I enjoy anything that involves being outdoors and own my own waverunner. In addition to that I also enjoy going to sporting events and traveling. Iím currently working as an EMT. Iíve wanted to become a firefighter ever since I was in elementary school and since then obtained numerous certifications and have attempted to learn everything that I can about being a good firefighter.

2. Why do you want to be a firefighter? When did you decide on this career?
    When I was in 6th grade, the local fire department gave out firetruck rides for the students as part of fire prevention week. During our ride I noticed that my neighbor was one of the firefighters and I later found out he was a captain at the department. He told me when I turned 15 I could come up and join as a junior firefighter. Shortly after I turned 15 did just that and itís been my passion ever since.

3. What is the job of a firefighter? Are you qualified?

4. What have you done to prepare for this position?
    Since I joined the fire service 6 years ago I have taken numerous classes related the emergency services. Iíve also changed my eating and exercise habits to further my physical conditioning so that I can be a healthier person and be an asset to the department.

5. What are you bringing to the job?
    Iím trust worthy, hard working and loyal. Iím never satisfied with myself and am always trying to improve in any way that I can.

6. Why do you want to work for this city or agency?
    Having been in the emergency services field for a few years, I have heard people talk of Cherry Hill Fire Department and how it is a great place to work. After doing some research on my own, Iíve found out that the department takes part in just about every part of emergency services. Because of my continual strive to better myself, I believes that this leaves a lot of room for advancement within the department.
    7. What do you know about his city or agency?

The department currently operates 6 stations that are staffed 24/7. Running out of those stations are 2 engines, 2 ladders, 1 squad, 1 squirt, a heavy rescue and technical support unit, as well as a hazmat unit. The department also operates 4 BLS units. The department serves a population of roughly 74,000 in 24.5 square mile area.

8. What do you like to do? What are your hobbies?
    I enjoy anything that involves the outdoors. I enjoy boating and own my own waverunner. I also enjoy working out and hanging out with friends.

9. What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
    Iím a hard-worker and very dependable. As far as weaknesses go I have

10. What would your employer say about you?
    They would say that I am a hard worker and am good at what I do.

11. What are the attributes of a firefighter? What is the most important one to you?
    Firefighters have to be hard working, motivated individuals. They must present themselves in a professional manner at all times. They need to be in good conditioning, both physically and mentally. They also must be trust worthy. To me, being trust worthy is the most important. The fire department is carefully watched by the public as well as the media. Even though to most people we are complete strangers, they allow us into their homes with complete trust knowing that nothing will be stolen or tampered with. If an individual is not trust worthy and this public trust is breached, it not only sheds a bad light on the individual committing the act, but the department as a whole, which is something that is very hard to recover from. I've experienced this first hand in my volunteer department when we had a few members commit an act of arson. We are still attempting to recover from that until this day.

How Would You Handle the Following Scenarios?
    12. Drinking or drugs on the job?
    Gather the facts about what is going on, talk with the individual and advise them that they need to talk to with our supervisor about what is going on, if they refuse to do this then I would talk to the supervisor myself.

13. Stealing on the job?
    See above.

14. Conflict with another employee?
    Attempt to talk with the employee one on one and see if we can resolve our differences. If we are unable and it is a creating a hostile work environment then a supervisor would need to be notified.

15. Irate citizen?
    I would attempt to calm the citizen and find out what the problem is. If the situation was unable to be remedied and continued to escalate then I would get a supervisor involved to handle the situation.

16. An employee crisis at an emergency?
    Depends on the situation.

17. Sexual harassment?
    Sexual harassment has no place in the work environment. If this situation was unable to be involved between employees then a supervisor would have to be notified.

18. Racial situation?
    Same as above.

19. Conflicting orders at an emergency?
    If a captain and a chief give conflicting orders, the captain would be notified of the change and the order that the chief gave would be followed since the chief ultimately oversees both parties.

20. An order that could place you in great danger or be morally wrong?
    I would first clarify the order the officer. If I truly believed that it would place myself in danger I would advise the captain of what I saw that I believed was dangerous. It is very possible that with everything going on something could have been overlooked. If the officer still insisted that I follow through with the order, that is what I would do.

21. What do you say when you don't know an answer to a question?
    I donít know.

22. Are you on any other hiring lists? What would you do if another city called you?
    No.
    23. When can you start if we offered you the job?
    2 weeks in order to give my current employer proper notice.

24. How far do you want to go in the fire service? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    I want to advance as far as I feel that I can comfortably go given my experience level. I wouldnít take an officers position if I truly felt that I wasnít ready.

25. What are the quality traits of a firefighter? Which one is the most important to you?
    Already answered aboveÖ

26. Have you ever been in an emergency situation? Tell us what you did?
    LotsÖnot really sure what to put here.

27. What word would best describes you in a positive way? A negative way?
    Positive - ??? Negative Ė Quiet. People tell me that Iím too quiet. This is because I like to analyze things before jumping in feet first and potentially making the wrong decision.

28. How do you handle conflict?
    I attempt to resolve any conflict through talking and reasoning. If it cannot be resolved this way and continues to escalate I will walk away.

29. Why would we select you over the other candidates?
    HelpÖ
    30. Do you have anything to add?
    No, thanks for your time and I hope to be hearing from you soon.
    Last edited by eng811ine; 03-16-2009 at 05:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Tell us about yourself.
    My name is _______. I grew up in _______and lived there until 20, when I bought my own home in ______where I currently live with my girlfriend ________. I enjoy anything that involves being outdoors and own my own waverunner. In addition to that I also enjoy going to sporting events and traveling. Iím currently working as an EMT. Iíve wanted to become a firefighter ever since I was in elementary school and since then obtained numerous certifications and have attempted to learn everything that I can about being a good firefighter.

I would not say that you are living with your girlfriend. Some may think itís inappropriate. Personally, I am not passing judgment, however, someone on your panel might. Why give them the chance? Risk versus benefitÖ.
    Congratulations on buying a home, it shows responsibility and stability.

2. Why do you want to be a firefighter? When did you decide on this career?
    When I was in 6th grade, the local fire department gave out firetruck rides for the students as part of fire prevention week. During our ride I noticed that my neighbor was one of the firefighters and I later found out he was a captain at the department. He told me when I turned 15 I could come up and join as a junior firefighter. Shortly after I turned 15 did just that and itís been my passion ever since.

You did not answer the PRIMARY part of the question WHY?
    Enjoy helping people (donít let people tell you not to say this), serve the community, satisfying position, like solving problems, enjoy the respect the community has for the fire department, enjoy the excitement of the job, like the fact that the ability to promote (someday) is determined solely by your own talents and ability, the pay and benefits will allow you to continue to make your mortgage payments, the retirement will allow you to retire young and healthy, the time off will allow you to coach your kidís athletic teams and be an involved dad as well as continue your education.

3. What is the job of a firefighter? Are you qualified?

4. What have you done to prepare for this position?
    Since I joined the fire service 6 years ago I have taken numerous classes related the emergency services. Iíve also changed my eating and exercise habits to further my physical conditioning so that I can be a healthier person and be an asset to the department.

Have you earned a degree? If not how far away are you? You mentioned that you were an EMT. Remember that 85% of the calls we go on are EMS related. Being a homeowner has prepared you for the position Ė responsibility. Being involved in the community as a volunteer, holding down a full time job, and being a good neighbor count as well.

5. What are you bringing to the job?
    Iím trust worthy, hard working and loyal. Iím never satisfied with myself and am always trying to improve in any way that I can.

What special skills do you bring is asking what the department will get if it hires you over the next person:
    Bilingual in a foreign language, EMT certification, paramedic, fork lift operator, First aid/CPR instructor, Field training officer on the ambulance, mechanical ability, experience in public speaking.

6. Why do you want to work for this city or agency?
    Having been in the emergency services field for a few years, I have heard people talk of Cherry Hill Fire Department and how it is a great place to work. After doing some research on my own, Iíve found out that the department takes part in just about every part of emergency services. Because of my continual strive to better myself, I believes that this leaves a lot of room for advancement within the department.

Looking for more here- WHY do you want to work here? How is the morale on the fire department? How about the relationship between the city and the fire department? How about the relationship between the fire department and the community is serves? How is the initial training? How about the apparatus? What are the opportunities to promote to Paramedic (do they have a paramedic program?) Is the department busy? How is the pay?

7. What do you know about his city or agency?

The department currently operates 6 stations that are staffed 24/7. Running out of those stations are 2 engines, 2 ladders, 1 squad, 1 squirt, a heavy rescue and technical support unit, as well as a hazmat unit. The department also operates 4 BLS units. The department serves a population of roughly 74,000 in 24.5 square mile area.

You can read this information on the job description flyer- what can you tell me about my department that you cannot read on our website?
    The 2020 plan of the department, what special projects is the department working toward? (building a hazardous materials, swiftwater, paramedic, EMT transport, building a new fire station or training center)

8. What do you like to do? What are your hobbies?
    I enjoy anything that involves the outdoors. I enjoy boating and own my own waverunner. I also enjoy working out and hanging out with friends.

9. What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
    Iím a hard-worker and very dependable. As far as weaknesses go I have

Everyone is a hard worker Ė do you have evaluations from your current employer to prove it? It sounds to me like you are also goal orientedÖhere are some of the goals I have set and accomplishedÖpurchased a home, become an EMT (fill in the blanks here)

10. What would your employer say about you?
    They would say that I am a hard worker and am good at what I do.
    (here are my evaluations to prove it). You would be amazed to hear how many people begin to stutter and stammer when we ask about their current employer Ė by the way, we will absolutely contact them during your background examinationÖ..

11. What are the attributes of a firefighter? What is the most important one to you?
    Firefighters have to be hard working, motivated individuals. They must present themselves in a professional manner at all times. They need to be in good conditioning, both physically and mentally. They also must be trust worthy. To me, being trust worthy is the most important. The fire department is carefully watched by the public as well as the media. Even though to most people we are complete strangers, they allow us into their homes with complete trust knowing that nothing will be stolen or tampered with. If an individual is not trust worthy and this public trust is breached, it not only sheds a bad light on the individual committing the act, but the department as a whole, which is something that is very hard to recover from. I've experienced this first hand in my volunteer department when we had a few members commit an act of arson. We are still attempting to recover from that until this day.

Nicely done! Keep in mind a couple more Ė Role models in the community, honest, ethical, goal orientedÖ.

I have answered every one of the situational questions in great detail (including why I believe the answers are correct) in my book, Smoke Your Firefighter Interview.

A quick scan shows that you seem to have a good template for answering the situational questions.

Good luck to you,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

3 things I would change:

1: Tell us about yourself

Instead of listing what you listed, talk more about your characteristics. For example: I am a very hard working and dedicated person. I love accepting new challenges and always do my best to accomplish anything I set my eyes on. I always finish what I start, and always do it to the best of my abilities. I know how to take directions and also know how to be a leader when needed. All in all, I am a very motivated and dedicated person and would love to have the opportunity to challenge myself and to make a difference in the world.

2: Why do you want to become a firefighter?

I would say something like this: I want to become a firefighter because I love new challenges. I also want to have the opportunity to make a difference and have pride in what I do. I also love the camaraderie of the brotherhood and going above and beyond what is needed. etc, etc...

3: If they ask if you have anything to add, TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY!!!!! You need to sell yourself, and be able to stand out from the rest of the crowd.
    Always have a closing statement ready. Something like this:

I just want to reiterate that I am a very hardworking and dedicated person with high integrity. I will go above and beyond what is needed of me and will carry out every task to the best of my abilities. I can assure you, if I have the privilege and honor of becoming a ___________ firefighter (whatever town/city you are testing for), you will not be dissapointed. Thank you very much for your time.

If they allow shaking hands, MAKE SURE you go from one side to the other and shake everyones' hands. DO NOT skip anyone and do not start in the middle.

Good luck!

Forum Member

I'm hoping my last post goes through before your interview on Saturday. I hate this delayed posting thing and needs to be checked by a mod thing, doesn't really make sense.

Thread Information