Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Knoxville Fire Questions

Does anyone happen to know if Knoxville offers a Paramedic incentive pay? Are there any local tech schools or colleges that KFD works with to send their personnel through to become paramedics?

Thanks!
    Last edited by FFBurkeL3865; 03-19-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Posted same message twice.

Forum Member

Default incentive

Paramedic incentive pay is $1500/year and I think EMT is $1000

Forum Member

Default Paramedic classes

Is Roane State the nearest institution to get your EMT-P in Knoxville? Does the city offer tuition assistance or anything like that? Where I work right now, they'll pick 8 or 10 FFs and send them through the course and they'll foot the bill. Diffrence is, we're a Fire & Rescue dept. so medics are in high demand.

Forum Member

Default Paramedic

Yes if you are interested in attending Paramedic School once you have been selected attending the Fire Academy, and have completed your probabation. Then the city will allow you to attend School at no price to you. Here is the scoop. Roane State is the closest, and they spit the course up for instance. Monday and Tuesday are the same class. Wednesday and Thursday are a different class and Fridays are meant for make up and or Clinicals. The City will only allow 8 days that you take off to attend your schooling, anything else will have to be on your own time.

PS. Where do you work now?

Forum Member

Default Paramedic

I work for St. John's Co. Fire Rescue in St. Augustine, Fl., and I actually am happy here, it's just we want to be closer to family now that we're starting to have kids... I moved here out of high school when I joined the Navy. I've always wanted to live in Knoxville, though. I'm from Cleveland, Tn. and have always loved the city of Knoxville...

Good news on the paramedic program. I almost started down here but decided to wait incase I'm lucky enough to get hired up there AND I didn't want to wrestle over reciprocity issues with Tenn. dept. of Health...

Thanks for the info... do you think KFD will start running transport units someday?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFBurkeL3865 View Post
    I work for St. John's Co. Fire Rescue in St. Augustine, Fl., and I actually am happy here, it's just we want to be closer to family now that we're starting to have kids... I moved here out of high school when I joined the Navy. I've always wanted to live in Knoxville, though. I'm from Cleveland, Tn. and have always loved the city of Knoxville...

Good news on the paramedic program. I almost started down here but decided to wait incase I'm lucky enough to get hired up there AND I didn't want to wrestle over reciprocity issues with Tenn. dept. of Health...

Thanks for the info... do you think KFD will start running transport units someday?
    Good Luck if you tested on Saturday May 2nd. Hope you get what you want out of the paramedic thing your looking for.

That is a good question. I look for it in about 5-10 years. but who knows.

Forum Member

Default Full sevice fire dept....

KFRD sounds good. Kind of rolls off the tongue!

Forum Member

Default Kfrd???

I did "full service" for a very busy dept. in FL and don't miss it at all! I like being a paramedic but "the ambulance will be here soon" rolls off my tongue even better.

Forum Member

Default COLA raises...

Hey, I had a question. I stopped at St. 13 while we were on break from the written test/ PAT test and I asked the guys about salaries and raises and a new-hire told me that KFD employees get a 4% raise every year. Is that true? and is that a cost of living (COLA) raise or a step-raise sort of thing? Down here, a FF gets up to 15 annual step-raises and I believe COLA is on top of that. And once you hit 15 you have to make engineer before you can get any more step-raises. And another guy told me that it's a 5% raise each time you're promoted. Is that right? I figured when you go up for Captain, it's GOT to be more than that! That's alot of responsibility for only maybe two or three more thousand dollars a year than what the driver is making... don't you think? I'm trying to get an idea of what the pay chart is up there to see if I'm gonna be able to feed my babies!

MembersZone Subscriber

We are currently on a three year pay increase schedule to bring our salaries up to market. We usually get a 2.5% cost of living raise a year. You do get a raise when promoted unsure of percentage though. I do know that after the academy I got a $500 increase in my yearly salary. Which then was 26,500 to start and 27,000 after completion of academy. It is now more than this closer to 30,000 starting in July. We also get a holiday pay check at the end of the year and EMT pay that is factored into your salary...950 for EMT's and 1500 for Paramedics. If approved we get $600 from the state for participating in the Commision certification system. Extra bonus!! But that is a state program and is not garunteed. Anything else just ask.

MembersZone Subscriber

any idea on how many Knoxville is hiring this year or have you heard?

Forum Member

Default ffmahone10

I think I read they are wanting to hire 20, so the top 100 people should get an interview.

Forum Member

Default 20 new hires

Do you all think it'll be the long, drawn-out process like it has been in the past or is there a push to speed up the process this year? I think I heard someone say that when I was up there testing.

Also, do you think those new recruits are in somewhat of a threat of losing their jobs if there's budget cutbacks like in alot of departments across the country?

MembersZone Subscriber

the process when I wen thru from the day of my orientation to the process meeting to the date of hire was 6 monthes that does not include interview time and the wait for them to pick who they are going to accept. Now what holds up the process and takes the longest is the back ground check. Just remember to tell the truth cause they will find out!

As for the recruits and layoffs.......no word on that. We got our raise this year and no body lost their job and the budget got passed which included hiring PD and FD personnel.

Thread Information