Forum Member

Default Training vs Physical fitness

Lets see what kind of can of worms I can open with this question.

Training vs Physical fitness in the fire department which is more important?

I work for a career fire department and also a Vol. Firefighter. The department I work for has a sop that says we must do at least 30mins of Physical Fitness on our days that we work, as long as weather allows it. Our department as little to no workout equipment so most guys just walk around for 30mins to get the required 30mins in. Our department has worked it out so that each Eng. Company can go to the local gyms for free while they are on shift and workout. I feel this is great and I workout like a fool even on my days off. However here is the problem our department says we must work out 30mins but they don't allow a time to do this, it is put off till all the gyms are closed due to training. Our department preaches Fitness but does nothing about it. They put training in front of fitness. Our department has had a pretty good turnover due to retirements lately. We have three new shift commanders now and they are each trying to out do the other so we train train train, and at the end of the day no time left for fitness.

So my question is which is more important Training or Fitness.
    I would like to see a balance of both.

Forum Member

Maybe should suggest doing a firefighter challenge while on duty. I don't me the ball out one that Scott runs, but modify it to include things we do on the job. Have the firefighter go on air and the do a collection of "Stations" have him run up and down the stairs with a hose pack for say 5 min. then with two partner saws or roof saws, have them lift each one of the rig and place it on the ground. Then carry both from one end of the fire house to the other and back. place on the ground, lift each one onto the rig and go on. if you have a second floor have them hand over hand pull a rolled up length of hose to the window then pull it in. a dummy drag on the apparatus floor. if no dummy is available another firefighter will do. just put on a SCBA and do a shoulder starp drag or use a DRD if you have that. The key is air management and also they can not run at any point in the evolution. You can look around the firehouse for other things to use but this is a general frame work to build from. other i am sure can give ideas as well. Time each guy and then compare. This will help guys get in shape while doing actual fire ground activities.

For weight training, have your union or benevolent society purchase some weights. All you really need is a bench and some free weights. Maybe a few jump ropes. (be amazed how hard it really is to jump rope for 5 mins without stopping. Great Cardio!!) I am sure a local sports place might give you a deal on the equipment.

Forum Member

Well, obviously a good balance of both is the best approach. If i had to choose i would say training over fitness. What good is a fit FF if they don't know what they are doing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slipperypete View Post
    What good is a fit FF if they don't know what they are doing?

True, but a heart attack on the fireground doesn't help anybody either.
    Last edited by KB1OEV; 03-20-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Forum Member

It shouldn't be too hard to find time to drop to the ground and do breakdowns or something similar for 10 minutes a few times a day. I agree that there should be a balance of both, but what good is training if someone is too fat and slow to execute?

Forum Member

What's more important to making the car run? Gas in the tank or wheels on the car?

Makes about as much sense. Can't have one without the other guys.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

Do training evolutions that also require physical fitness. Example: High rise pack up and down stairs or just around the firehouse if no stairs, followed by sledge hammer hits on a tire across the parking lot, followed by advancing a charged hoseline....all on air. Or do some RIT evolutions.

Thread Information