Forum Member

Default Surplus Equipment

Anyone know of any websites that list available surplus fire equipment. We have equipment replaced under FEMA that wasn't suitable for our needs but may be sufficient for a small dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AZO1026 View Post
    Anyone know of any websites that list available surplus fire equipment. We have equipment replaced under FEMA that wasn't suitable for our needs but may be sufficient for a small dept.
    There's a couple of guys on here that'll probably chime in that are good about finding a home for good equipment. Other than that, I really don't know of any organizations that do that kind of thing anymore, since HOO collapsed. I heard the HOO founder was going to come up with a new organization, but I don't know that it's happened yet.

Our state fire marshal's office also helps coordinate that kind of thing, perhaps your state has something similar, if nothing else.

Forum Member

Default surplus

I dont know what u have, but I am always trying to find ways to save money and use or reuse equipment.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Email me if you want, like Catch I have a list of folks that (same people in some cases) we can get you in contact with that need stuff. Quite a few in the Gulf Coast area are still hurting from Ike wandering by.

Mark has fallen off the map as far as I know, haven't heard from him in a long time. Pursuing my own non-profit, just need that thing called free time to make it happen. Hopefully before the year is over.

MembersZone Subscriber

www.firetooltrader.com
    This site is in Southern Illinois
    Also the Illinois State Fire Marshal has a donation site as well, may check other Fire Marshal sites.

Forum Member

what kind of surplus equipment do you have that you want to get rid of. I can help just email me at Medicc315@hotmail.com and we will see what we can do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out http://www.fireequipmentliquidators.com/index.html

They have a few items that are free to VFDs. Also, several other items for that are very reasonably priced.

Forum Member

Maybe you can sell it to your neighbor for $1200

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    Maybe you can sell it to your neighbor for $1200
    Sarcasm received

MembersZone Subscriber

We have donated items to the Gear up Foundation. Items donated go over seas to countries that don't have ff gear/equipment, also if something ever went wrong with the equipment when it is over there, there is no liability on your part.

MembersZone Subscriber

We want to take care of the US first. There are a number of ways around the liablity issue, here in Missouri if it is a concern we have a law where the equipment goes through the state fire marshals office, then to the recieving department - and the law absolves the donating department of any liablity.

Waivers of liability are tool to use, as well as just throwing the equipment out in your dumpster - if there happens to be a poor recieiving agency there at the dumpster when you do......

Lets take care of the US FIRST!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

49 out of 50 states have no liability to donors, CA is the only one that has donor liability. Bush was trying to push for a federal law to clear donors of any liability but got shot down. CA departments ship all sorts of great stuff to Mexico every year, including Forestry WUI pumpers because they can't sell them (for some odd reason) and they can't give them to anyone else because they'd be liable.

I'm all about US first, most of these other countries claim they don't like us anyway, so why give them stuff? Take care of #1 first then worry about the rest. To put my money where my mouth is on that, hoping to have a non-profit set up before the end of this year to replace HOO and have some other roles. HOO was the right idea, just a few logistics issues that prevented it from working right IMHO, even before the criminal took over and ran Mark off. Not slamming Mark either, talked with the man several times about ways to improve efficiency and made some recommendations, had differing opinions, but were all positive discussions aimed towards making it all work better. Hopefully I get it right when I set this one up.

Of course if AFG doesn't open soon I'm not going to get these apps off of my desk to get to other things....

Forum Member

At least it wasn't an AFG award that made these trucks surplus. Still, our town would have been happy to have one...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...-Blessing.html
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Why would a DC non-profit aimed at helping the youth of DC be orchestrating a donation to the Dominican? How exactly does that enhance the ability of the organization to fulfill their mission? Per their site:

Peaceoholics, Inc. is a 501 C3 non-profit organization that provides communities with wide array of services and programs with complete prevention and intervention services for at risk-youth and their families in the Washington, DC area.

I try to think the best of people, and I applaude their intentions inline with that mission. But someone was arranging for free stays at a vacation spot with this transaction. Otherwise if they needed to just raise funds for their purpose they would have put the truck and box on eBay.

Forum Member

Wish I knew.

In case anyone in D.C. is reading, I promise we'll do good deeds if you donate the trucks to us instead. We'll drive down on a moments notice, say "please" and "thank you," find someone of your preferred religion to bless you, and even send pictures on birthdays and holidays.
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.wusa9.com/news/columnist/...old.html#links

BRAND NEW gear that DC calls surplus and sells on govdeals.

Better than giving it away overseas I guess.

My wife and I spend 6months in Mexico every year trying to help out where needed. I am a retired assistant fire chief for the Dashwood Fire Department on Vancouver Island, BC Canada.
    The local fire dept in Jocotepec, Jalisco Mexico serves 5 small communities with a total of 20,000 people.
    they need almost everything from pencils, blankets, toys for children involved in incidents to firefighting equipment.

Some of the firefighters stay overnight at the newly acquired hall, which they share with 3 other first responder agencies. As the firefighters were cold and as this year we had more than enough handmade blankets for the orphanage, we sewed a number of children’s blankets together to make adult sized blankets for the fire fighters. After that I had a meeting with their Fire Chief to discuss how I could help them. He informed me that they have very little equipment. For example, they have one MSA SCBA regulator with 2 masks so only one firefighter can go into a toxic environment then pass the regulator on the next Firefighter; only 50’ of leaky fire hose, 2 sets of old turnout gear for 12 firefighters and little else. However they do have a pumper truck and a pickup to respond to incidents.

We later found that the regulator/tank is out of date.

We will be returning to Mexico in October of this year in our RV. We would like to take donations of any spare equipment you no longer use but is still in working order for these firefighters.

The firefighters would appreciate donations of any of the following items:

Contact for a used Defibrillator

6 SCBA masks and regulators

SCBA cylinders

Turnout Gear

2” & 1 ˝” fire hose

2” to 1 ˝” hose adapters

2” to 1 ˝” gated wye

1 ˝” nozzles

Toys for children

Blankets

Any other fire/rescue equipment

If you have any spare equipment please contact me so I can make arrangements to pick it up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets take care of the US FIRST!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well to be fair to the poster Blake, he's Canadian so not sure he's worried about the US primarily either.

Plus now that NFPA is almost getting predatory with regulations we almost have to set stuff out in the trash for people to 'steal' instead of outright donate, otherwise we're all in violation of something that doesn't make sense in the first place. Going across national lines doesn't have that issue which is why so many are doing it. Almost going to have to change our regulations so that we can keep the stuff here.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did not catch the Canadian connection.

Even outdated equipment is better than what you and I both see out there at some departments, NFPA be damned. I will bring a dumpster with me so the recieving department can find it in a dumpster.

Now, if they want demand valve SCBA? Bring a truck... I got them. (the issue is the departments that are still using them)

Forum Member

Default Surplus to Some Gifts to Us

I am with a small volunteer department in SC, we have 13 other stations in our county and work off a small allotment from the county, plus they cover insurance and some other items. We could use or find homes for some surplus equipment depending on what it is, we also have some friendly departments in need out of our county and some out of our state.

email : JAD-ff733@charter.net

thanks

Thread Information