Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    pewter98,

Really good post! I just have to move the kaiser sled five feet using a sledge hammer. I'm going to give powerhourcoug's idea.

Thanks again

Oh, ok so you were talking about performing the kaiser sled event. I still think performing the sledgehammer exercise that I gave you the link to will help out in building up strength and getting you used to swinging a sledge. Also, the pulling/dragging exercises will benefit you a ton both for preparation for a CPAT and in the fire service.

If you really want to get an idea of performing the kaiser sled event, I would try going to a local fire academy or fire deparment, ask if they have a kaiser sled, and then ask if it would be ok for you to practice on it. It's pretty helpful to be able to practice on one before taking a CPAT because you get to experience the somewhat akward position you are standing in while swinging the sledge. If you do get a chance do practice on a kaiser, try to bring with you a spare SCBA or a weight vest and wear it while hitting the kaiser. Most departments require the candidate to where one of these while they are going through the CPAT.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Default Gunk vs. Lube on a Kaiser Sled

Quote Originally Posted by FireCowboy1 View Post
    I've been told I get to pick the series of events in the order I wish. Would it be wise to jump on the Keiser first so gunk can't accumulate on the sled. This was advised to me, and makes sense.
    I can see where this might be true. During my fire academy, one of the SCBA drills was for each recruit to go through the actual Firefighter Combat Challenge. When we got to the kaiser sled event, it looked like there was some gunk build-up on the rails of the sled and moving the beam took quite a bit of work, even when striking it correctly. This could have been due to stuff from recruit's boots falling onto the sled's rails or the fact that the kaiser sleds had been in storage since the semester before.

A few weeks later, my academy hosted a joint-CPAT for several area departments. We were watching the instructors set the CPAT course up, when we noticed several of them spraying the kaiser's rails with some type of lube. I guess it what so each person taking the CPAT had an equal chance or something. As soon as the first person going through the CPAT got to the kaiser and hit the beam on the sledge, we all said to ourselves "They made it too easy! That guy wasn't even hitting the beam correctly and all that spray lube allowed the beam to fly to the other end!"

So I say it's hit or miss as to how easy of hard the kaiser event will be based on the condition the sled is in. But regardless, you should always come to the CPAT in your best shape possible.
    Last edited by pewter98; 05-04-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Forum Member

Pewter98,

The sledgehammer exercise is working really well, I called some local departments and none seem to have the sled. So I guess for now I'll do the sledgehammer workout and stand on the tire and hammer away. I've been rolling and flipping the tire down the street, neighbors must love that! Since I don't have access to an SCBA I was planing on putting some weight in a backpack.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    Pewter98,

The sledgehammer exercise is working really well, I called some local departments and none seem to have the sled. So I guess for now I'll do the sledgehammer workout and stand on the tire and hammer away. I've been rolling and flipping the tire down the street, neighbors must love that! Since I don't have access to an SCBA I was planing on putting some weight in a backpack.

Cheers!
    Yeah, a lot of departments don't have a sled, my vol. department included. (though we have put in for a kaiser and a Rescue Randy for the next training budget) This is probably due to a brand new Kaiser sled costing well over $2,500 plus $250-650 for shipping. Flipping the tire is another great total body work. As you progress, you can even upgrade your tire to a tractor-size tire, like the one I posted about (titled "tractor tire) on a previous thread of yours:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=105757

The weight in a backpack is a good alt., just be sure to start off light and work your way up.

Thread Information